• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

An idea for apple concerning their keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
They'll make an $11 keyboard cost $75, it's not stylish, not really practical, there's a lot more reasons why they wouldn't and shouldn't ever use those keyboards. To be honest, the newest mac keyboard would be the perfect keyboard if it just had a volume wheel for me (I don't know if it has the anti-bacterial film in it that my old Logitech has to keep it from accumulating dirt).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
pppfffft! where's your PF13 through PF24 keys?

attachment.php

[taken at work a minute ago ;)]
os/390? I 3270 into that :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I think the current wireless keyboard is fairly portable as is. I just wish they made one e with a number pad. Those rubber ones look horrible to type on. It doesn't seem like you would get much or any tactile feedback, which is my only problem with laptop keyboards. Looks great for dirty/dusty environments though.

What do you mean, memory lane? At my last job, we still had those in our server room!! :eek: If nothing else, they were built to last.

That they were. And IMO, they were easier to clean as well. I have not seen a good robust keyboard like these in some time. The ones that I keep seeing are the short, cheap plastic OEM types were you have to scrunch your fingers to type something. The ergonomic ones are also hard to find with my department as well.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
os/390? I 3270 into that :D

:D

we used 3174 until we went IP with some new release of os390.
at least for the non-emulated green screens and consoles. that particular keyboard is attached to the master (edit: one of the four masters). ;)

from my xp machine i emulate using IBM-3278-5-E ;P

nice to see someone else talk in ibm gibberish. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:D

we used 3174 until we went IP with some new release of os390.
at least for the non-emulated green screens and consoles. that particular keyboard is attached to the master (edit: one of the four masters). ;)

from my xp machine i emulate using IBM-3278-5-E ;P

nice to see someone else talk in ibm gibberish. :)
I work in os/390, AIX and SuSE daily ;) Course in the lab right now I'm surrounded by a sea of black storage and servers

tn3270 X works well for connecting to those systems on OS X. Including Fkey programmability...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
i personally think that having a plastic roll up keyboard a very in practical idea!!!!
i mean how often do you need to move your keyboard?
and even if you do arent there many different WIRELESS keyboards out there... well my opinion entirely :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I think its a great idea for traveling or for kids.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I don't know about the foldable keyboards, but I have always liked the virtual projection ones (but I don't know if they work well):

vkb.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
wow i have never seen one of those (just heard about)
yeah do they work well??

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I work in os/390, AIX and SuSE daily ;) Course in the lab right now I'm surrounded by a sea of black storage and servers

tn3270 X works well for connecting to those systems on OS X. Including Fkey programmability...

i'm sort of a tri-role (or more) mainframe operator / windows and linux server support / and batch job support for all of those and various flavors of UNIX (mostly HP-UX).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm sort of a tri-role (or more) mainframe operator / windows and linux server support / and batch job support for all of those and various flavors of UNIX (mostly HP-UX).
Ahhh fun fun fun.. I'm no longer in ops, these days I work in engineering.. but for the moment I'm taking a 'holiday' breaking things in the lab. :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nice. :)

we always talk about you guys when you leave. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I don't know about the foldable keyboards, but I have always liked the virtual projection ones (but I don't know if they work well):

vkb.gif

They're OK. I can't get used to the layout and it eventually hurts my hands and fingers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Those IBM Model M's are like the Western Bell phones.

WE500-1.jpg

UNBREAKABLE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook / 2Ghz/ 2Gb RAM / 80G HD / superdrive
I've been spoiled with my Apple keyboard for a few months now (thin aluminum one). I didn't realize how crappy my PC keyboard was until I had to use one this week for the first time since upgrading.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.