Already backing up to External HDD But...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey M-F :)

Some of you may have seen a few posts in the bar 'n' grill associated with this question but could do with some more opinions on it.

I currently back up my data to a mybook 250gb external HDD. This backup includes everything in the documents area. (Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies)
I have quite a lot of photography work on there (library is nearing 1000 at the moment) and Also have a lot of music projects on there for paid jobs as well as coursework in preperation for university.
With me going to university in september, I know my projects list will grow a lot more, and will begin to contain more and more stuff that I cant afford to loose.

Now backing it up to my external HDD is obviously a logical thing to do but I still dont feel very safe knowing that everything is backed up on just one device.
I could go onto optical (CD/DVD) but not only would that be a VERY long process, it could also proove to be quite costly.
Is a second HDD mirrored like the first one perhaps a good idea?

Any other suggestions? Am i over-reacting?

Cheers everyone

~~ TS ~~

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
a "mirrored" second disk is probably the way to go. there's little possibility both disks will fail at once. you might still want to think about cd-r/dvd-r backups for the super critical or valuable backups just in case of something really weird - water damage, or making a bonehead mistake and losing one disk while the second is broken.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the very quick reply eric :)

if i was going to mirror these drives, do you think it would be a good idea to setup a RAID array that automatically mirrored the drives? Or would it be easy just to have both connected and copy + paste the data across say once a week?

~~ TS ~~

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i would probably just do it manually. not sure if you can configure a raid on a macbook anyway - unless you picked up one of those multi-disk enclosures that does it for you. i'm guessing soemone else may be able to answer to that bit with more authority than me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Doesn't disk utility allow a RAID setup? Anyway, I always get confused with these RAID things. What I do right now is backup incrementally everyday to a HDD, and then every fifteen to twenty days I burn a DVD which I put in an envelope and keep in a storage box with a lock and only a small opening to slide the envelopes in. That way I don't damage the disks and only use them when I need them.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey :)

Yes i beleive disk utility allows you to setup RAID with any drives available to the system.

Anyway, I think i might go with what seems the most common suggestion which is backup daily (nightly) onto my external 250Gb HDD and then once a week, take the data and put it onto DVD.

Problem is though, my average backup is coming in at around 22GB (or 11Gb without iTunes collection which is a non essential backup to be fair)
With the average DVD holding 4.7GB, Its going to take a minimum of 3 DVDs a week just to keep a safe backup.

Now that is going to take a long time to do since i imagine burning 4.7gb of data onto a DVD is going to be quite a process for my macbook.

Is it the best way forward though? if so then Ill order some DVDs a.s.a.p

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought of doing incremental backups? You know, only backup stuff that changes...

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey :)

I would like to do incremental backups but dont wish to purchase software that automates this process for me.

I would of thought the built in automator software could of, but i've had a pervious thread about that and no one really came up with solid answers.

The reason i say automate the process btw is I dont really fancy going through each folder remembering if i updated anything or not just to acheive incremental backups :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just make a smart folder using a spotlight search (documents and edited last week)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I have two external hard drives. One I keep at home and backup to it about once a week. The other I keep off-site (at work) and take it home to update about once a month. I figure the chances of my home and my work burning down at the same time are nil.

Reaction score
Incremental backups

Can anyone explain exactly how incremental backups work, or rather, how to use them? i know the principle (ie they just back up what has changed) but I have not yet been able to restore a backup and now my hard drive has run out of space. It is a 250GB Mybook which was set up by the people I bought it from to do a full back up followed by incremental backups. It makes regular backups ok but hasn't backed up for a while as it has run out of space. I don't know what I can delete safely and also can't see a list of files to enable me to restore particular files. Basically, I don't trust my backup system and don't know what I would have to do if my internal hard drive failed.
Can anyone advise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you got Leopard, you could just as well set Time Machine to do the same... and in style!

Reaction score
Incremental backups

No, I haven't got Leopard and don't plan to ugrade for a bit. It is as much the principle of how these app work, eg Backup and the Mybook software WD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.