all about imac

Reaction score
i hav some questions about imac 20" intel core 2 duo with 2gb ram and ati radeon 2600pro 256 mb of mem .. Here it goes
1. Wht motherboard is used in the same .. I.e imac mb 342*/b
2. Can i change the processor to quad core or later ?
3. Is the graphics mem dedicated and can i change the graphic card ?
3. Can i run games like pro street undercover crysis quake 4 on it using crossover ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
i hav some questions about imac 20" intel core 2 duo with 2gb ram and ati radeon 2600pro 256 mb of mem .. Here it goes
1. Wht motherboard is used in the same .. I.e imac mb 342*/b
2. Can i change the processor to quad core or later ?
3. Is the graphics mem dedicated and can i change the graphic card ?
3. Can i run games like pro street undercover crysis quake 4 on it using crossover ?

1. Motherboard is specific to Apple.
2. No you cant change the Processor, it's soldiered straight to the board.
3. Video card ram is dedicated, and no you can't change it out.
4. Depends. In windows it should be fine. I didn't know those games were avail for Mac.

The Mac Pro is the Only Mac desktop that will allow you to change out the Video Card, that I know of.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
JG got it right.

1. Yep, proprietary, the same as if you bought a desktop from Dell, HP, Sony or any other mass produced off the shelf system. There have been several iterations of the iMac 20" with the Core 2 Duo at this point and more than likely several system boards. Don't think Apple could tell you which board was in your iMac without more info than you've provided here.

4. Best answer for any particular game with Crossover is going to be checking each individual app at their site for compatibilty.

The Mac Pro "is" the only Mac of the current generations that you can change out the video card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
The processor and video card ARE upgradable. The CPU can be changed fairly easily, but keep in mind it is a laptop CPU, not a regular desktop size unit. The video card is removable but is not a standard PCI card, and it may be difficult or impossible to find a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
I have the same exact iMac for sale. If you want more info send me a pm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The iMac is an all in one unit that is not upgradeable, unless you are willing to take enormous risks and know what you're doing. Bear in mind that it's easier to sell and buy another one rather than upgrade. Macs hold their value, unlike PCs, and you'd be able to sell and buy new in 3 years.

The games you mention will work fine through Windows. You'll need to get hold of a copy and install it using Apple's Bootcamp tool. Once installed, just hold down alt when turning on to choose to boot into Windows.

Yep, proprietary, the same as if you bought a desktop from Dell, HP, Sony or any other mass produced off the shelf system. There have been several iterations of the iMac 20" with the Core 2 Duo at this point and more than likely several system boards. Don't think Apple could tell you which board was in your iMac without more info than you've provided here.

Just a note that Apple's motherboards are actually rather good. You'll get a spread of benchmarks comparing Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock etc. but Apple's motherboards are very well optimised and at the upper end of the scale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
The processor and video card ARE upgradable. The CPU can be changed fairly easily, but keep in mind it is a laptop CPU, not a regular desktop size unit. The video card is removable but is not a standard PCI card, and it may be difficult or impossible to find a replacement.

Where did you get this info?

From what I have gathered about the iMac's, is they are simply desktop's using Laptop hardware, in a sense.

Reaction score
Hi, laptop hardware meens you need to get mobile graphics card and processors. I have 24" alu imac i've got the service doc from my friends. It is possible to change those things nothing is soldered. These are simple laptop cards and processors configured by Apple. (very well indeed :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.