Airport Express extended does not connect to internet but when joined does

Reaction score
I want to use the Airport Express (802.11n 1st generation) to extend my home network (Apple Time Machine 4th generation 802.11n). When set it up as "extended," it does not connect to the internet even though it is connected to the home network which is connected to the internet. When I set up the AE to "join," it does connect to internet, but then it does not act as an extender. That is, my macbook or iPad use the weaker signal of the Time Machine base instead of the Airport Express.
I have tried the factory reset, reconfigured with and without ethernet cables to TM and AE.
Anything else to try? Or the AE incompatible with the new generation of TM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
When you say "Time Machine base", do you mean it's actually a "Time Capsule???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay when you set up the Air Express in "extended" mode using the AirPort Utility - under wireless have you: (I hate to assume :Smirk: )

1. Put in the same wireless network name as the one listed in the Time Capsule
2. Used the same wireless security (WPA2 - Personal is best)
3. Used the same password as the Time Capsule uses for the wireless network.

If all that is set correctly then my next suggestion for you to try is to set a static IP address in the Airport Express.
1. Under the "Internet" tab in the Airport Express, select static and input an ip address, subnet, and the ip address of your router that connects you to the internet.
2. You should also set a "DHCP reservation" for the IP address you use in your Air Express in your router. If not you may get a warning of an IP conflict.
3. You should not need to input DNS servers as the router will know what to use but you can if you know them for IPv4.

Inputting the IP address for the Gateway - which is your router connected to the internet - should let it see the internet. If you don't know the IP address look at your Time Capsule's Internet settings or if it is set to DHCP, look at your router's settings.

If you have questions post back and give me a better idea of how your network is setup. Also any information on your router or router/modem.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what OS you're using, but have a read on what I came across with a google search, and it doesn't look good for your old 1st generation Airport Express but there seems to be a fix:

Tipp: How to configure a first gen Airport Express under El Capitan (10.9) or Mavericks (10.8)
"With the latest update of the Airport Utility to 6.x the old Airport Express is no longer supported. At the same time, it is no longer possible to use the 5.x version under Mavericks or El Capitan, which could mean that you're stuck if you like to setup an old Airport Express, as I had to this week. Also, the Airport Utility on iOS does not support this hardware.

Luckily, there are helpful folks out there. Under http://coreyjmahler.com/2013/10/24/airport-utility-5-6-1-on-os-x-10-9-mavericks/ you can find a little piece of software that re-enables the use of 5.x under the current MacOS versions.

This saved me a lot of time, and hopefully, to some of you as well.
"
http://forums.appleinsider.com/disc...press-under-el-capitan-10-9-or-mavericks-10-8

EDIT:
If those are your conditions then this article with diagrams probably won't help, but just in case…:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202056

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yes, Time Capsule. (I'm using it also as a TM)
Thanks for the clarification.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You've already received great comments from Lisa & Patrick - I share the concern about whether your AE router is outdated, so check the links and determine whether that may be an issue?

But, in addition to Lisa's steps, you need to also setup the extended router (the AE in your situation) in 'Bridge Mode', so that there are not conflicting SSIDs and multiple DHCPs - below is a screen capture of my Airport Utility showing my AP Extreme router (my only one) acting in DHCP mode - if you want to use a second router to extend your 'wireless' network (assume you are NOT wired?), then you need to bridge that device.

Here are a few links that may help - LINK 1 and LINK 2 - let us know if our suggestions help - good luck! Dave
Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 5.08.46 PM.png

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your informative post. Yes, my settings are correct. I tried using the static address but the Express behavior persisted. No internet if "extended" OK if "joined" but then my macbook and ipad don't use it even though it has more signal strength than the primary router (Time Capsule).
Maybe the problem is what the other post says --that my first gen Express is not compatible with later versions of airport utility. But except for the behavior I described above, I can access and edit the Express through the utility.
Here is my setup
Comtrend AR 5381 Modem (DSL phone line)
Apple Time Capsule 4th generation 802.11n (serves as router, no security, default options)
Airport Express 1st generation 802.11n
Mac OS X 10.10.5
Airport Utility 6.3.5

At various times, Macbook pro, iPad, Mac mini, iMac connect wirelessly and ethernet to the internet through the Time Capsule with no problem.
Airport Utility recognizes AE and allows editing and reset, but AE does not connect to internet.

Okay when you set up the Air Express in "extended" mode using the AirPort Utility - under wireless have you: (I hate to assume :Smirk: )

1. Put in the same wireless network name as the one listed in the Time Capsule
2. Used the same wireless security (WPA2 - Personal is best)
3. Used the same password as the Time Capsule uses for the wireless network.

If all that is set correctly then my next suggestion for you to try is to set a static IP address in the Airport Express.
1. Under the "Internet" tab in the Airport Express, select static and input an ip address, subnet, and the ip address of your router that connects you to the internet.
2. You should also set a "DHCP reservation" for the IP address you use in your Air Express in your router. If not you may get a warning of an IP conflict.
3. You should not need to input DNS servers as the router will know what to use but you can if you know them for IPv4.

Inputting the IP address for the Gateway - which is your router connected to the internet - should let it see the internet. If you don't know the IP address look at your Time Capsule's Internet settings or if it is set to DHCP, look at your router's settings.

If you have questions post back and give me a better idea of how your network is setup. Also any information on your router or router/modem.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
The connection between the Time Capsule router and the Airport Express is wireless. I have followed the directions in link 1. The other link is more about wired connections.
I am beginning to conclude that the Express is out of date (though I am still puzzled about why it is recognized and editable).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The connection between the Time Capsule router and the Airport Express is wireless. I have followed the directions in link 1. The other link is more about wired connections.
I am beginning to conclude that the Express is out of date (though I am still puzzled about why it is recognized and editable).

Relative to your AE router, I'm assuming that you have the one in the middle shown below (Source) which is now 4+ years old and stated to be 802.11n Draft - have you looked into a 'firmware update' - not sure if one is available, but if not, then you may need another 'wireless extender' option?

In Airport Utility, have you selected your AE router and then put the device in 'Bridge Mode'? If so, and still not a go, then you may need another Wi-Fi option? Also, you mentioned that there is no 'Security' setting on your current network - I'd be comfortable w/ that option if I lived in the Outback of the Northern Territory (just thinking of Harry - ;)), but if not then you need to use WPA2 w/ password entry into your network. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 6.22.16 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW, I just realized that I had a previously working 1st generation Airport Express A1264 at the back of my desk that we had used with SL, 10.6.8, but I got a newer generation AE which we use now but mostly using Mavericks.

Anyway, I just plugged in the old AE and its green light finally comes on but there is absolutely no sign of it when using Airport Utility to try and set it up. And the same thing if I use my wife's iMac running SL 10.6.8.

Maybe it just up and died from lack of use…??? ;)

- Patrick
=======

OP
T
Reaction score
I have now tried new extenders-- a more recent version of Airport Express, and the popular Netgear. Both were easy to set up, and work just fine. So the conclusion must be that the first generation of the Airport Express is not compatible with some part of the newer system. It is still puzzling because Airport Utility can access and edit it, but it just won't let clients connect to the internet.
Thanks for everyone for helpful suggestions and taking a first time user seriously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have now tried new extenders-- a more recent version of Airport Express,

Just be thankful that the newer AE will work much better than the older model, at least that has been our experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.