• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Adobe Flash CS5 For Windows May Violate Apple Rules

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
WRONG!!! Hardware acceleration is not supported under Mac OS X, because Mac OS X does not expose access to the required APIs. Basically Apple isn't allowing Flash to become more efficient on their Mac OS X/Safari platform (or their iPod/iPhone/iPad one, either) by not providing the access to the hardware it needs to reduce its CPU load... the ball is in Apple's court.

- "No its not an OS issue its a junk code issue ! The problem isn't with apple its with adobe being lazy and never developing flash for OS X"
PLEASE SEE ABOVE...

Ok so I took the time to read your post and will only comment on the part in which you dismissed me .

If I read you right and I am sure I did , you will have us believe that since OS X doesn't support hardware acceleration as windows does that it is up to Apple to rewrite their code so Adobe doesn't have to ? How can such a statement even be made with a straight face ? All you have done is cemented my argument that it is Adobe that is the lazy one by not creating a product that will function properly on an OS and then cry when they are excluded from the front line. Since when has it not been a developers fault when there product doesn't function properly ? How can anyone honestly believe that it should be up to Apple to fix what Adobe cant / wont ?

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Ok so I took the time to read your post and will only comment on the part in which you dismissed me .

If I read you right and I am sure I did , you will have us believe that since OS X doesn't support hardware acceleration as windows does that it is up to Apple to rewrite their code so Adobe doesn't have to ? How can such a statement even be made with a straight face ? All you have done is cemented my argument that it is Adobe that is the lazy one by not creating a product that will function properly on an OS and then cry when they are excluded from the front line. Since when has it not been a developers fault when there product doesn't function properly ? How can anyone honestly believe that it should be up to Apple to fix what Adobe cant / wont ?

Clay

Here's the one thing to consider - IF to improve the functionality of a given products code, you require access to hardware acceleration provided by say, the GPU AND the OS developer has DENIED that type of access, fixing the code would be next to impossible.

It's similar in concept to the lack of access to hardware acceleration for video playback - if you want acceleration for H.264 playback - you better be using Quicktime X without perian doing the decoding of the H.264. If you use a third party player (ffmpeg via plex or playback thru VLC, etc.) you're stuck to CPU playback because Apple hasn't opened that up for developers. Honestly, this action is questionable - and similar action taken by Microsoft caused them to end up in a huge lawsuit from the EU which MS lost (I refer to the fact that MS lost an anti-competition lawsuit which because Apple has restrictions in hardware playback and other access to the underpinnings of the OS, it's conceivable a similar lawsuit can be levied against Apple).

Honestly, I really do love my Macs, I recommend them, I defend them when people make blatantly wrong statements, and overall I enjoy OSX - but it's not perfect, and Steve isn't always right.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't see Apple's exclusivity an issue on this matter. All the other people MS/Adobe/google are free to make their own phones and tablets and put whatever codecs on them they want. They are just winging because they can't have their codec on the machines that sell well (kn this case ipad/iphone).

The Non-Apple world has the opportunity to make a portable device and put whatever they want on it. Hence that's why the HTC and other mobile devices exist. And it's not Apple's fault no one buys their devices. It's their fault for not making their devices good enough so people want to buy them.

I see no issue here at all. Apple did nothing wrong on this issue.
If the Non-Apple world want flash on a mobile device, go make your own device and put flash on it and sell that. Apple made a device (iphone/ipad) and put that they wanted on it. And the rest can do the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The only thing is that this issue expands beyond the mobile device platform. Granted, the hoopla about it not existing on the iPad and comments from Jobs has brought it square into mainstream discussion - the problem with Flash performance exists on all current Apple products requiring excessive CPU power. I don't think you'd expect Adobe to come out with an OS to compete with Apple - Apple as an OS provider needs to consider all applications that would run on it, not just the ones it likes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.