adapter hardware to hook up ide drives to my iMac

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

I have a couple of old IDE drives from a long gone machine that may have some files on it that I need.

I was wondering if there was any hardware/equipment out there that I could buy, with a usb 2.0 drive or above, to connect to my iMac so I can look at the contents of the drive.

I think I came a cross some stuff online, but I'm not sure, so rather than buy something and risk having it not work, I thought that someone out there might have some experience with this and could recommend some possibilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, you will get a lot of hits, if you do an internet search for, ide USB adapter or PATA USB adapter. Most likely eBay or Amazon.

OP
S
Reaction score
I take it that I won't need any software or anything? The mac will be able to read it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I take it that I won't need any software or anything? The mac will be able to read it?
You “should not” need any software to read from the disks, it really depends on the format & partition type. You haven’t provided much info about your current Mac, or what type of PC the drives came from.

OP
S
Reaction score
You “should not” need any software to read from the disks, it really depends on the format & partition type. You haven’t provided much info about your current Mac, or what type of PC the drives came from.

Don't remember the OS -- it was windows, but I think it was Windows 7 or XP. I started out with windows 98, but I upgraded, I think.

I have an iMac running el capitan,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your iMac should be able to read from the drive without the need for additional software.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay -- so I got the adapter, but wouldn't you know it -- it can read one disk that I have, but that one doesn't seem to have the files on it. The other disk it sees but asks if I want to format it. I can't see what's on the drive at all. I think it was done in Win 98. Anyone know if there's a way to see those files and get them?

I have a Vantec usb to sata/ide adapter, model number CB-ISATAU2

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If the device read one drive that suggests it is working correctly and probably not the culprit. I wonder if the directory structure hasn't gotten corrupted on the second drive. It might be worth connecting the drive to a Windows box and using whatever utility you have to check the directory structure.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think it was done in Win 98. Anyone know if there's a way to see those files and get them?

If it was done with Win 98, the file format would have to be FAT-32 or FAT-16 both of which macOS can read and write to. I suspect the drive (as Slydude indicated) is probably corrupt or defective. Also since Win 98 is ancient and the drive is that old, probably time to toss it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.