acer monitors

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Stan…here's something you may want to read (it's pretty short) about displays & different ways of connecting them:

HDMI vs. DisplayPort vs. DVI vs. VGA: Which connection to choose? - CNET

"The old-school VGA connector is a cable of last resort. It's not too common anymore, and hardly ever found on TVs.

Don't use VGA, not if you can help it. While it is capable of fairly high resolutions and frame rates, it's an analog signal. You're not likely to get a pixel-perfect image with today's LCD monitors (hence why you'd use DVI)."

Long story short…with modern monitors (if it can be helped)…stay away from the VGA port!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I have to wonder if VOP is actually not seeing an extended desktop (ie two separate displays) sick but is rather seeing an extended single desktop, i.e. more of the same display. That would explain the lack of resolution options.

OP
S
Reaction score
Acer Monitors

Nick,
I got the HDMI connector and adapter and it WORKED! I just plugged it together and both the monitor and the Macbook Pro display went to the auto setting.

So that is great.

I still do not know why it changed. I had used the new monitor for three months successfully. The problem I had is so obvious, circles becoming ovals, that I do not believe even I could be wrong on this. But maybe.

Today I got my new Macbook Pro with the retina display. Hooked it up and the Acer monitor worked great also.

Thanks again. You get a gold star!

Stan Browne

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Awesome Stan…sounds great! Thanks for updating us. And it's always great to have a happy ending!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
@pigoo3
Hi Nick, my name is Alex and I think I have a similar problem with Acer KH242HL BD being connected to Macbook Pro 2012 Catalina system.

Thunderbolt -> DVI doesn't work (mac doesn't "see" the monitor)
VGA->HDMI->Thunderbolt doesn't work (the same, mac doesn't recognize the monitor

When I connect it the monitor (which initially displayed "ACER") goes black and the light goes orange
Mac seems not to recognize it (when I pop the Apple->Preferences->Display) there is only "Build In Display" section with no "Detect" option. However, if I choose "Colour" option it gives me Display Profiles" of... ACER K242HL option which makes me confused. Help!

Thank you in advance
Alex

Reaction score
Maybe I was just not noticing something, which is entirely possible, but the Macbook seemed to figure out what proportion to send to the monitor until Friday.

You can access more resolutions than you are currently seeing. You may simply need to hit the Option key while choosing the Scaled option in the preferences pane.

More information:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.