Accurate Photo Printing

Reaction score
I get very frustrated when I print from my iMAC (10.14.6) the result is not the same as I see on the screen.
Is there a recognised "good" printing software for MAC. I do not need editing - just accurate printing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
* How different is the result (slightly or majorly different)?
* I'm assuming we're talking color printing. Are you using an ink jet printer or color laser printer?
* Are you printing directly from the file you get from your photo taking device (digital camera/smart phone)...or doing some retouching/editing before printing?

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area (Other Hardware).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@bigscreen:

The last two replies say it all. "Printing Software" as you describe it depends entirely on the printer you're using and the application you're printing from. I have three printers in my home office and each will yield different results which depend on the object(s) I'm printing and the application I'm printing from.

OP
B
Reaction score
I use Colormunki to profile my screen and have paid for a calibration on the printer. Epson WF3010 printer (inkjet) with ethernet wire connection on Epson premium paper with only Epson genuine inks (4 colours). I try printing from Ps Elements, or straight from Preview, or using Epson Easy Print always requesting BEST quality. I also have Capture One but have not yet tried printing direct from that.
Images are just not right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I use Colormunki to profile my screen and have paid for a calibration on the printer.

Do your calibration experts have any good working suggestions that might work??

Or how about this:
chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://support2.epson.net/manuals/english/lfp/sc_p6000/pdf/cmp0045-00.pdf

Or maybe sole of the google hits:

How are any of the Prints and their color matching if you have some done at a local print??? And maybe they might have some suggestions for you that might fix your problem.

And does Epson have some support or suggestions available???

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
I use Colormunki to profile my screen and have paid for a calibration on the printer. Epson WF3010 printer (inkjet) with ethernet wire connection on Epson premium paper with only Epson genuine inks (4 colours). I try printing from Ps Elements, or straight from Preview, or using Epson Easy Print always requesting BEST quality. I also have Capture One but have not yet tried printing direct from that.
Sounds to me that you have already done everything you can by calibrating monitor and printer - and using the recommended paper and inks.
The basic issue is that colours on a monitor are created differently than colours on a printer - they will never match 100%
Briefly explained here (Opposite Base Colors):

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I try printing from Ps Elements, or straight from Preview, or using Epson Easy Print always requesting BEST quality. I also have Capture One but have not yet tried printing direct from that.

What about trying some color test printing from here:

I was amazed with the results I got, and that's with just using standard Staples office copy paper and our Canon MX922 that's using decent quality third-party ink cartridges. Colors were spot on as far as my eyes could see!!!

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
Also consider your working environment: Is your screen affected drastically by changes in ambient light? Is it perhaps a perceptual issue rather than technical? Do you have Nightshift enabled in System Preferences--> Displays?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good thinking. Nightshift hadn't occurred to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also consider your working environment: Is your screen affected drastically by changes in ambient light? Is it perhaps a perceptual issue rather than technical? Do you have Nightshift enabled in System Preferences--> Displays?
I also forget about room lighting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.