Accessing Macbook on local network from another computer

Reaction score
Kind of the opposite of what this section is for but the only place I found it fit.

I have a Macbook Pro. It is a part of my local network which includes a 2tb network drive and a windows computer as well as printers, etc. To the best of my knowledge (which with the mac is not extensive!) I have everything set for sharing.
So, if I am on my Windows 10 laptop, the Macbook shows up in the network. When I double click on it, I get a window asking for my network credentials, with the username on my Mac already filled in and a box to enter my password. I enter the same password that I use to log into my macbook but it refuses it. I can't recall having any other passwords for my mac other then of course websites, etc.

Can anyone tell me what password the mac wants?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here. The subject is clearly about networking. The fact that it involves a Windows computer and network doesn't change that.

Can anyone tell me what password the mac wants?

Did you try entering your Windows network password?

OP
wredhawk
Reaction score
Yep. Entered network password Windows password and mac logon password. None seem to work. It might possibly be a windows issue, but the only device I can't access is the mac.

OP
wredhawk
Reaction score
Thanks, but
My sharing preferences doesn't have "Windows Sharing" as an option.
DVD or CD
Screen
File
Printer
Remote Login
Remote management
Internet Sharing
Bluetooth sharing.

Those are the options listed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well, what OS X version are you using? Besides, that article is from 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Are you looking at the "Services" tab?

OP
wredhawk
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 7.47.29 PM.png
\I don't see any services tab. I've taken a screenshot of the sharing preferences window and tried to attach it. Hope it shows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Sorry. Didn't realize how old that was. I found it when I first bought my MBP and wanted to copy files from PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.