About editing videos

Reaction score
Hello to everybody. I own a Mac book pro and I am running into a problem. I have some videos and images that I want to write texts at the bottom of the videos and images. I managed to do that with the images but couldn't with the videos. With the photographs, I pressed the Mark Up Toolbar, and manage to do what I wanted, but I could not find the same button for the videos. Can anyone show me how to do that for the videos as well? Thanks in advance.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Where are your pics and videos residing? By that, I mean something like Photos app?

And from that question, what "method" or app are you using to add text to the pics?

I should just mention that the Photos app does allow a fair bit of editing and the chance to add info to both pics and videos.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Where are your pics and videos residing? By that, I mean something like Photos app?

And from that question, what "method" or app are you using to add text to the pics?

I should just mention that the Photos app does allow a fair bit of editing and the chance to add info to both pics and videos.

Ian
Hi Ian. I am using Preview. I managed to add text to the pics but not to the videos. This is what I am trying to do. I used the 'mark up toolbar' function to add text. It's at the top right of a picture.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Ian. I am using Preview. I managed to add text to the pics but not to the videos. This is what I am trying to do. I used the 'mark up toolbar' function to add text. It's at the top right of a picture.
When I click on the video, it automatically does so with 'quick time player.'

OP
A
Reaction score
When I click on the video, it automatically does so with 'quick time player.'
I press the button to the right and press 'add to photos' and then press 'edit' on 'Photos,' and I still can't find the button where you can add text on the video.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I'm understanding what you want to do correctly this can be done with iMovie among other apps. These tips should help. There are also numerous other tips with a quick search. Sometimes you see this referred to as adding lower thirds..

OP
A
Reaction score
If I'm understanding what you want to do correctly this can be done with iMovie among other apps. These tips should help. There are also numerous other tips with a quick search. Sometimes you see this referred to as adding lower thirds..

I haven't ever used that app. I was hoping there was a way to do it in the ways I tried to.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can understand wanting to use tools that you already understand for tasks like this. Unfortunately, so far I haven't found a way to use those tools to add text to videos. There are several third-party apps and a few online sites that may be a viable option.

I encourage you to look at some of the iMovie instructional videos that are available. It's a fairly easy program to learn.

Here's an idea that might or might not meet your needs even though it's kind of a kludge. This should work but needs presentation software such as PowerPoint or perhaps Keynote.

1. Open a new slide in the presentation software and make whatever adjustments to the background color etc. that you think are necessary.
2. Insert the video clip into the slide that you created.
3. Create a text box beneath the video and add text.

The resulting video can be exported as a movie if you like,

Rwkk us a bit more about your project and we may have better ideas.

OP
A
Reaction score
I can understand wanting to use tools that you already understand for tasks like this. Unfortunately, so far I haven't found a way to use those tools to add text to videos. There are several third-party apps and a few online sites that may be a viable option.

I encourage you to look at some of the iMovie instructional videos that are available. It's a fairly easy program to learn.

Here's an idea that might or might not meet your needs even though it's kind of a kludge. This should work but needs presentation software such as PowerPoint or perhaps Keynote.

1. Open a new slide in the presentation software and make whatever adjustments to the background color etc. that you think are necessary.
2. Insert the video clip into the slide that you created.
3. Create a text box beneath the video and add text.

The resulting video can be exported as a movie if you like,

Rwkk us a bit more about your project and we may have better ideas.
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded iMovie, and am using a MacBook Pro, and I didn't have to pay for it. Is that accurate? I wasn't expecting it to be free.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
All these Apple apps are free. In fact, it really should have been included when you got your Mac and thereafter when you upgraded your Mac.

Whatever, you've got it now. The other free apps from Apple are: iMovie, Keynote, Pages, Safari, FaceTime, Garage Band, Apple News etc :)

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As Ian mentioned iMovie is one of several Apple apps that are free. All are very good apps in their own right. There are third-party apps with similar capabilities but most are not free.

Reaction score
All these Apple apps are free. In fact, it really should have been included when you got your Mac and thereafter when you upgraded your Mac.

Whatever, you've got it now. The other free apps from Apple are: iMovie, Keynote, Pages, Safari, FaceTime, Garage Band, Apple News etc :)

I WISH that Apple News for the Macintosh was free, but alas, it isn't, it is a subscription service:
https://www.apple.com/apple-news/

For a large number of other free Macintosh applications, have a look at:
http://www.macattorney.com/free.html

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I WISH that Apple News for the Macintosh was free, but alas, it isn't, it is a subscription service:

You are absolutely right. The App is free; but to use it isn'to_O:)(y)

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your help and contributions. Is there any way someone can show me how to add texts in videos through iMovie. I must say that I know nothing about this app. Many thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on solving that problem. Apologies for not posting such a video yesterday. I saw a few of them but hadn't checked any of them out to see if they made sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You are absolutely right. The App is free; but to use it isn'to_O:)(y)

That also seems to be the Apple thinking and the so-called logic of how many App Store applications are rated which I find very annoying.

Free to download and run maybe, but then one discovers that one has to pay to do anything useful with them. I don't consider that as "Free".

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the News app is what one might call "partially free". Many articles can be read for free. Unfortunately, some of the things I might want to read/hear are not free. At least that's how it works on my phone. I don't use it much on my Mac.

The subscription fee isn't unreasonable compared to subscribing to several of the component publications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.