• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A Software development question

Reaction score
So on my co-op as a software developer I usually get this as a negative feedback:

1. Focus on one thing
  2. Improve your ability to deliver
  3. Improve your code quality
I am trying to improve these but I just don't see any change in myself. Have you ever had any of these feedbacks? What did you do about it? Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread title says..."A Software Development Question". To me this is saying something about how to develop some sort of app or software. Sounds like your question is more about how to improve as a software developer...and how to address the feedback you're getting.

Is this feedback coming from your manager at a company...feedback from freelance/gig customers via websites like Fiverr, Upwork, etc...or something else?

Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's some very precise feedback that you should be able to action on. If you are trying to do too many things at once, slow down and focus on one thing. Ensure that you are able to get that done when expected.

You gauge your code quality on the feedback you are getting in your pull requests.

If you are you a co-op, you should be seeking specific help from your manager. That's what you are there for and what your manager is there for.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I of course have no idea what sort of projects are being worked on (simple/complex...small/large).
  1. Focus on one thing
To me this sounds maybe efforts are getting spread too thin working on multiple things/projects...and better to focus on a single project. Or maybe too many projects on the plate...and need to slim things down.

Or maybe get better direction from customers on what the priority is of the projects...rank the projects in order of priority...then work on them in order of most important to less important.

But as I said...I have no idea what sort of work/projects these are.
  1. Improve your ability to deliver
This sounds like hitting deadlines on time. If things are being delivered late (not by date promised)...then this would seem to be the source of this feedback.
  1. Improve your code quality
I know code can be written efficiently or not efficiently (more lines of code than necessary). Maybe these customers know something about coding...and when they see your code they say to themselves "this isn't how I would have written it".

Just a guess of course.:)

Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I of course have no idea what sort of projects are being worked on (simple/complex...small/large).

To me this sounds maybe efforts are getting spread too thin working on multiple things/projects...and better to focus on a single project. Or maybe too many projects on the plate...and need to slim things down.

Or maybe get better direction from customers on what the priority is of the projects...rank the projects in order of priority...then work on them in order of most important to less important.

But as I said...I have no idea what sort of work/projects these are.

This sounds like hitting deadlines on time. If things are being delivered late (not by date promised)...then this would seem to be the source of this feedback.

I know code can be written efficiently or not efficiently (more lines of code than necessary). Maybe these customers know something about coding and custom healthcare software development company...and when they see your code they say to themselves "this isn't how I would have written it".

Just a guess of course.:)

Nick
thank you so much for your suggestion

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.