A Shiny New Mac-Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I tried hard to get used to the new look...again...and just can't get used to it.
For the life of me, I just can't stand the large spacing. I hate the feeling that the new look gives off as if you have the web browser on zoom. Compared to the old one, it feels less...efficient...that's the best word I can describe it as. Here's a clear comparison of how much extra info you see with the previous version.
Both windows are open to the max without going "full screen" just had them overlapped so you can see them both at once, and both use the top pixel row of the "thread/thread starter" bar as a guide.
Screen Shot 2012-02-20 at 8.27.28 PM.jpg
Isn't it possible to reduce the spacing? That would be AWESOME!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You mean like this?

presto_magico.png

You can achieve this effect by adding some CSS to Chrome's custom stylesheet. Open up ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/User StyleSheets/Custom.css and add the following:
Code:
.tborder td {
    padding: 4px 6px !important;
}
Save it and presto (it should work immediately).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can achieve this effect by adding some CSS to Chrome's custom stylesheet. Open up ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/User StyleSheets/Custom.css and add the following:
Code:
.tborder td {
    padding: 4px 6px !important;
}
Save it and presto (it should work immediately).

Any suggestions on how to change that red font to a different color in the same manner? In Safari? The spacing and that color are the two big things that are keeping me from using the new skin.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is the best I could do. It's not perfect (it makes all links and most of the text black) but it might help.

As a note for those using the custom CSS above in my previous post - that may affect other sites (it looks for certain elements on a page that may have the same names on other sites). You've been warned. ;) I could make it into a Chrome extension and control what domains are affected (as I do for the extension here) if there is demand.

EDIT: Chrome extension for my previous post which will prevent the changes made there from affecting any other site. It's also easily installed as well. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the best I could do. It's not perfect (it makes all links and most of the text black) but it might help.

Thanks. The font color change across the board made it worse, unfortunately, but I appreciate the stab at it. I'm just going back to the old skin. I quite frankly hate the new look. The high contrast style is just too overwhelming.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried but I can't differentiate between the links since they are all share similar IDs or classes. My CSS skills aren't that advanced (yet). As such, it's an all or nothing at this point. It does give me a good opportunity to learn some new skill though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried but I can't differentiate between the links since they are all share similar IDs or classes. My CSS skills aren't that advanced (yet). As such, it's an all or nothing at this point. It does give me a good opportunity to learn some new skill though.

My creation skills are more or less nonexistent, but what I am good at is reverse engineering. :D. I found out how to unpack your extension to look it over and maybe tweak it, but apparently you have to be a registered developer to save it? Well anywho, I didn't bother looking more into it since I couldn't have saved it. Changing the font won't address the general high contrast in the new style anyway. That high contrast is **** on the eyes.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My creation skills are more or less nonexistent, but what I am good at is reverse engineering. :D. I found out how to unpack your extension to look it over and maybe tweak it, but apparently you have to be a registered developer to save it?
Haha, unzip it. :p

It's nothing fancy - it's just injected CSS. And yes, to create Safari extensions, you need to be a registered developer which is a pain when you just want to make small changes to someone else's extension to meet your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'd rather not mess with the whole editing things, as it alters all websites in general, and also is for chrome. Simpler to just revert to the old look. Is it too much to ask for to revert o the previous style of the spacing?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd rather not mess with the whole editing things, as it alters all websites in general, and also is for chrome.
The extension I linked to above limits the changes to MF and takes 3 seconds to install. You also had a screenshot in which you're using Chrome so I assumed you used Chrome. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is it too much to ask for to revert o the previous style of the spacing?

I'd also like to see the old style of spacing. I'm using Safari and have no knowledge of the "altering" you guys discussed earlier. I'd just like to see it more stream-lined and less "clunky". It feels like a child's version of a website. IDK, that's just the best way I can describe my impression of the new look. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
That's how it looks in the old forum skin, which I'm using. The new forum skin, which I'm double-checking in another browser, has hypertext links as red, the way vansmith describes.

That's interesting. I'd check just to see it, but for the last week I haven't had to delete a cookie to load this site, so I'm not messing with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently Running Mac OSX ML 10.8
Hey You guys! I'm new at this forum.. I was wondering on how do you change your profile picture on MacForums? Is it only for senior or staff members? Or does it work on a point system that you gotta have a certain level of points to change your profile picture? Thanx every one!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to your User CP > Edit Avatar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I'm sure you've spent countless hours on making improvements to this forum.

But to be blunt, I absolutely hate it.

I feel like I'm using one of those phones for old people where the phone only has a number pad and the buttons are one inch squared.

Not that my contributions on this site are monumental, but a a user I find myself forcing myself back, versus wanting to participate.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I feel like I'm using one of those phones for old people where the phone only has a number pad and the buttons are one inch squared.

Not that my contributions on this site are monumental, but a a user I find myself forcing myself back, versus wanting to participate.

I don't think you've given it enough of a chance.

I felt the same way at first, but after a few days, it was like second nature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.

Just shy of 2K of posts is no small contribution, can you not look beyond the aesthetic and get involved again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Doy...I'll just use the previous version of the site. Much better.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Doy...I'll just use the previous version of the site. Much better.

But ultimately, that will go away at some point. Might as well get used to it now.

It's really not that significant of a difference. You just have to give it some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But ultimately, that will go away at some point. Might as well get used to it now.

Bummer

It's really not that significant of a difference. You just have to give it some time.

I'll agree to disagree. I've used it for a month. I doubt more time will change my mind. With all change you're gonna have pros and cons. I just don't see the pros. Since most everything I've noticed is aesthetic, and not functionality as I don't belong to any groups, or follow any threads. So if there is more function, it's beyond my usage. I do feel like I get as much out as I put in, which is why I gave my two ¢ to begin with. And that's OK with me.

No worries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.