• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

A sad story about how Apple hates hard currency

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Can she not go put that cash on a prepaid Visa gift card and then buy it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think they allow those either.

How would they know the diff? Visa is Visa and it's all processed the same, as far as I know. Well except for debit vs. credit, but anywho...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Actually, processing credit card payments isn't very difficult and it actually costs more (for the customer) to pay via this method because of interest and and credit card transaction fees. A debit card may be different but I'm not sure. And what I was talking about before, in terms of making more money, is that people will generally be unaware of the rules Apple has set and likely spend money on an Apple Gift card with the intention of the receiver using it towards an iPad.

As far as the control aspect of it, that part makes very little sense to me. As someone here already stated, you can purchase a number of (albeit limited) iPads with your debit card and credit card, (combined plus add a spouse) and still do as you'd like.

Furthermore, Best Buy has no such restrictions and you can buy as many as you'd like with cash... so what exactly is Apple's point then ? Did they just decide to say "oh to **** with the ones we've distributed to our third party suppliers, we can live with those numbers" ? There's definitely something smarmy about the whole thing.

I just can't stand the whole shroud of mystery and extra drama Apple always seems to attach to its self with new products. They really need to keep a slightly lower profile than this, if they want to maintain the same level of customer satisfaction and quality standards which they've been praised for in the last few years. They keep this kind of thing up, and people are going to start doing more than questioning their judgment in general. IMHO of course.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Actually, processing credit card payments isn't very difficult and it actually costs more (for the customer) to pay via this method because of interest and and credit card transaction fees. A debit card may be different but I'm not sure. And what I was talking about before, in terms of making more money, is that people will generally be unaware of the rules Apple has set and likely spend money on an Apple Gift card with the intention of the receiver using it towards an iPad.

As far as the control aspect of it, that part makes very little sense to me. As someone here already stated, you can purchase a number of (albeit limited) iPads with your debit card and credit card, (combined plus add a spouse) and still do as you'd like.

Furthermore, Best Buy has no such restrictions and you can buy as many as you'd like with cash... so what exactly is Apple's point then ? Did they just decide to say "oh to **** with the ones we've distributed to our third party suppliers, we can live with those numbers" ? There's definitely something smarmy about the whole thing.

I just can't stand the whole shroud of mystery and extra drama Apple always seems to attach to its self with new products. They really need to keep a slightly lower profile than this, if they want to maintain the same level of customer satisfaction and quality standards which they've been praised for in the last few years. They keep this kind of thing up, and people are going to start doing more than questioning their judgment in general. IMHO of course.

Doug

Big brother Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Okay, well, I have no pity. It's not hard at all to walk to the nearest bank, deposit your money and get a **** debit card. I'm poor as ****, I still have a debit card. Besides, how's the lady gonna buy apps if she doesn't have a credit card?

I side with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
How would they know the diff? Visa is Visa and it's all processed the same, as far as I know. Well except for debit vs. credit, but anywho...

She probably could do that. But why should she have to??
Besides, what seems like a simple workaround to most of us might be a huge inconvenience or even difficult to someone else. Especially an older person who, based on her attempt to use cash, isn't real savvy with things like credit cards and gift cards.

Oh, and btw those gift cards are not always processed the same way.
Some machines won't accept gift cards because there's no way to verify a limit on them. They only have a "balance". It's not the same as a standard MasterCard or Visa. The terminal at my wife's office always shows them as rejected if someone tries to use one for an online purchase. She has to run all the online purchases through the system the next day and then she has to call the poor people to tell them they have to use a different card. It all depends on what sort of credit card machine a store or a business uses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple used to have similar policies in place for the iPhone, but eventually relaxed them once they rolled it out world-wide and demand eased off some. I think they are just trying to get these out to as many people as they can for a fair price while avoiding the device getting to markets where it may not be approved for use due to regulatory differences. They know demand right now is in far excess of supply and are aiming for maximum satisfaction. If you let scalpers hog up all the supply and ship them out overseas for a nasty premium, you are left with an increasingly frustrated local market that can't get ahold of one. It's unfortunate that some people are being inconvenienced, and I do agree that Apple should work harder to address some of these cases. I thoroughly disagree that they are doing this because they are "evil" or otherwise have anything less than honorable intentions. If it was simply a matter of maximizing their revenues, then they wouldn't care if scalpers bought them all up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
She didn't look the type to buy apps, which I'm guessing is why Apple only want's people with credit buying their items. She was a woman of mature age and on a fixed income who, like my Mother-In Law, apparently is looking at a way to view photos and email - that's it. The applications supplied with the iPad would likely have been enough for her needs. I'm guessing that, due to Apple's pricing point on these iPads, they don't make much profit selling the actual hardware. I believe Apple takes the long view and sees the devices are conduits by which to link the client's money and the Apple/iTunes Store. Cash doesn't work at the Apple/iTunes Store, so why sell the iPad to people who wouldn't buy anything there? That part makes complete sense to me from a business standpoint. It stinks for many people, but they are too old, or too stupid so who cares? Maybe if they were more open minded they'd get with the program and acquire the means to make electronic payments. Don't they have homes for people like that so we don't have to deal with them? LOL

My Mother-In-Law doesn't have a credit card anymore either. She's the patient type who mails checks in to pay her bills, shops via paper catalogs and telephones or mails in her orders, and even drives in to her insurance agent to pay her bill, etc.. She canceled her cards long ago as she felt it made her "lose track of how much she was spending" on her fixed income. We did manage to encourage her to secure a debit card, but I don't think she has ever used it. It's a different lifestyle, with different sensibilities, from a different era. You wouldn't understand, and don't really have to.

Many of my other group of friends are real "off the grid" types. They avoid anything issued by the government or a company that has a unique number. Living that way seems a bit excessive to me, but they seem willing to forgo some conveniences for privacy and debt free living. A locally owned and operated bank exclusive to their particular county is about as far as their money goes for storage. By storage, I mean a minimal checking account backed up by gold and other assets in safety deposit boxes. They get by just fine without corporate backing of their purchases. Anyway, I doubt any of them would want an iPad, as ChristianLinux6 is their distro of choice.

Point being, not everyone has, wants or feels the need for credit cards. They shouldn't complain if that limits them as life does move along, even if you don't. On the other side, I can imagine it would be frustrating to have to choose between one's felt need for financial control and independence, and giving that control over to another, just to get on the internet. Of course, there are libraries with internet available which apparently is the answer to any question about difficulty accessing the internet.

I side with the little guy on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Okay, well, I have no pity. It's not hard at all to walk to the nearest bank, deposit your money and get a **** debit card. I'm poor as ****, I still have a debit card. Besides, how's the lady gonna buy apps if she doesn't have a credit card?

I side with Apple.

Same here but semi retired and also use debit card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I see all sides on this, and understand that some people don't like those newfangled plastic credit/debit card contraptions... They're intimidating. But surely those people who are too afraid of new tech to go get a f'ing debit card are more intimidated by something as advanced as an iPad, right?

You can be off the grid and still have a debit card, just pay cash 99% of the time. (It's the number one rule if you're doing anything you don't want the government to know about). If you're buying an iPad, you're not an off the grid type though, or are an extremely huge poser.

Again I reiterate... get a debit card. 99% of them will have a credit card number and a major credit card logo. It takes a whopping 10 minutes to set up a new bank account. If you're really that worried about it, get the account, buy the iPad, never use the account again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course it's safe. Unless your scared to carry cash.

Agreed 100% Cash is king I always try to pay with cash.

I agree if you can pay in cash do so but here carrying around large sums of
cash could get you mugged in this city.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Set up an Apple ID in store and have the purchase linked to your Apple ID/itunes account so you can only purchase 1-2 ipads. And require ID to set this up. I dunno why Apple did not think of it earlier. Or Maybe they did and thought we'll save ourselves the hassle.

Well this ladt should be proud of herself. She proved if you speak up you can get the big corporations to change their ways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Good deal. Good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to see Apple did the right thing here, With all the bad publicity lately this should help ease things over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just think if people had not scalped iPhones this would not have been an issue or exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just think if people had not scalped iPhones this would not have been an issue or exist.

Nobody scalped anything. This is how the free market works. Would you prefer the government step in and regulate the sale of iPads and iPhones? Look if I'm selling something I bought and someone else is willing to pay top dollar for that item that's perfectly right for me sell to the highest bidder, Nobody is sticking a gun to their heads forcing them to buy or sell. When the iPhone was made available I didn't have At&t, So guess what I paid top dollar from a seller or as you would refer to them a scalper,But guess what I was more than happy to buy my iPhone and pay the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nobody scalped anything. This is how the free market works. Would you prefer the government step in and regulate the sale of iPads and iPhones? Look if I'm selling something I bought and someone else is willing to pay top dollar for that item that's perfectly right for me sell to the highest bidder, Nobody is sticking a gun to their heads forcing them to buy or sell. When the iPhone was made available I didn't have At&t, So guess what I paid top dollar from a seller or as you would refer to them a scalper,But guess what I was more than happy to buy my iPhone and pay the money.

So how is that not scalping?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So how is that not scalping?

Because your putting a negative connotation on it. I don't see it as a negative
If someone wants to buy 10,000 iPads and sell them for double the money, I don't call them a scalper I call them smart.

Like I said before If someone wants to sell something for more than they paid for it,so be it. the same goes with Ticket scalpers, If someone wants it bad enough they will pay e.g. People in other countries who wanted to iPad ASAP and didn't mind paying $1000.00 for a 16GB wifi.

Maybe it's just me, I don't see the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.