• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A new Mac in my future?

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So, nobody wants to touch the Safari and iCal questions in post 14, which I've repeated in post 17 and 19?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, nobody wants to touch the Safari and iCal questions in post 14, which I've repeated in post 17 and 19?

Regarding the iWork question. It sounds like you answered your own question in your earlier post:

I purchased iWork '08 discs after my 30 day trial had been expired for, oh, about 5 years. From what I can remember reading, that version does not qualify me for a free upgrade.

It sounds like from this MacWorld article:

What you need to know about Apple's free apps policy | Macworld

...that a user needs to have purchased iWork '09 or newer And have purchased it via the Mac App Store. The key here is the Mac App Store purchase (and iWork '09 of course). Apple has no way of tracking non-Mac App Store purchases (on disk) to verify previous ownership.

I'm assuming that if a newer version of Safari comes along for the ride, all my bookmarks will be protected. Likewise, a newer iCal would just pick up everything I've done and make it available without skipping a beat.

I'm running Leopard on a couple of my older computers...and to be honest...I'm not really concerned.:) But I'm not saying having a newer OS version installed (with newer security updates) can't be safer.

As far as the iCal question. My life isn't so complex that I use iCal.;) But if I had to make a guess/theory...I think everything should be fine. Updating a users iCal should be part of the upgrading process.:)

This is why having a backup is important. If for some reason a "glitch" occurs in the middle of the upgrade...or if something (like iCal) is not updated...you have the backup.:)

- Nick

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Regarding the iWork question. It sounds like you answered your own question in your earlier post
Yes, I did. And that was confirmed already.

As far as the iCal question. My life isn't so complex that I use iCal.;) But if I had to make a guess/theory...I think everything should be fine. Updating a users iCal should be part of the upgrading process.
You and I are assuming the same thing. You know what they say about that! I use iCal to help me remember all kinds of things. It's especially useful for things that come around every year or two.

This is why having a backup is important. If for some reason a "glitch" occurs in the middle of the upgrade...or if something (like iCal) is not updated...you have the backup.:)
Yes, I regularly run the Back up iCal command and store the file. I don't think I've ever had to use Restore however.

As far as all my Bookmarks, I guess I'll find out, eh? Again, from what I remember reading here, others have asked the same question and I think were advised that they don't get blown away.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I use iCal to help me remember all kinds of things. It's especially useful for things that come around every year or two.

Certainly a great reason for iCal!:) I should do it...but I'm just too lazy to do the initial setup...and anything that's important to remember...my wife reminds me.;)

As long as I don't forget our wedding anniversary or her birthday...I'm good to go!:):)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.