• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A Happy Independence Day to our US Friends

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
July the 4th 1776, when you got rid of these annoying Brits, King George III and all. Never understood why you celebrate the 4th given that the declaration was two days earlier on the 2nd.

Of course, there was no Facebook then so maybe it took 48 hours for the pony express to disseminate the message:):wink

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
July the 4th 1776, when you got rid of these annoying Brits, King George III and all. Never understood why you celebrate the 4th given that the declaration was two days earlier on the 2nd.

Of course, there was no Facebook then so maybe it took 48 hours for the pony express to disseminate the message:):wink

Ian

Thanks Ian. Happy 4th to you anyway and you are for sure not annoying! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The decision to issue a declaration was agreed to on the 2nd. Jefferson took two days to write it all out, final approval on the 4th. At least that was what I was taught long, long ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Ian. Happy 4th to you anyway and you are for sure not annoying! :D Grin

Thanks Ian - wife and I are debating on which movie to watch tonight - my choice is the first one below, and hers the second (which we just watched 6 months ago) - sure that I can locate a few more from my collection, if the debate is about to become an exploding firecracker;) Dave :)
9140ATqi2IL._SX1200_.jpg 71YRlPENa1L._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
1776 - a much batter movie and a classic!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
thanks. its a weird 4th. no fireworks... all cancelled because of the corona virus #scamdemic.... all politically motivated IMHO... don't get me wrong, the virus is real... someone I know nearly died from it twice... but I think our government has lied to us about how dangerous it is... again just my opinion I could be wrong.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yankee Doodle Dandy! One of the many talents that James Cagney had was as a superior song and dance person. Everyone always thinks of him as playing the bad guy in movies.

And yes, thanks to our Brit friends for the 4th of July congrats.

Does anyone remember this date? If we lost that battle, we would by flying the Union Jack instead of the Stars and Stripes!

January 8, 1815

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1776 - a much batter movie and a classic!

Lisa

Yankee Doodle Dandy! One of the many talents that James Cagney had was as a superior song and dance person. Everyone always thinks of him as playing the bad guy in movies.

And yes, thanks to our Brit friends for the 4th of July congrats.

Does anyone remember this date? If we lost that battle, we would by flying the Union Jack instead of the Stars and Stripes!

January 8, 1815

Hi Lisa & Charlie - I'm in the mood for Cagney, too - and for those who have not seen him 'sing & dance', this movie is a must! Curiously, I googled 'best 4th of July films' and one hit listed 25 HERE - these are really described as 'patriotic movies' and few are centered around the holiday, but I own 15 of those films!

As to Charlie's question - Andy Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans - just finished a new book about that battle which was excellent and highly recommended to those interested in the topic! Dave :)
5d16345dd0221.image.jpg 61qv0IcghhL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now, I wonder what Johnny Horton would say about that famous battle?

YouTube

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
July the 4th 1776, when you got rid of these annoying Brits, King George III and all.

And all the Canadians had retreated back to their cabins with their protecting arms to enjoy their beer, whiskey and screech and wondered what to do about the rebellious foreigners to the south of them. :D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, I wonder what Johnny Horton would say about that famous battle?

YouTube

Love Horton's 'story songs', including The Battle of New Orleans above; own the 2-CD set of Horton shown below (36 songs) - other great similar songs are Sink the Bismarck & North to Alaska - he died tragically in an auto accident in 1960 at the age of 35 years - I'm sure he had plenty of 'story songs' to come later? Dave

71Av37v+ctL._SX522_.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@RadDave I have several of his books from Audible but haven't gotten to that one yet. AS for the Battle of New Orleans it has always been interesting to me. Whatever Jackson's other shortcomings might have been getting that diverse an assortment of people to work together was quite an achievement.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@RadDave I have several of his books from Audible but haven't gotten to that one yet. AS for the Battle of New Orleans it has always been interesting to me. Whatever Jackson's other shortcomings might have been getting that diverse an assortment of people to work together was quite an achievement.

Hi Sly - well, you live just 'up the road' from the Chalmette Battlefield - assume that you may have visited - I've been there several times, usually by embarking from the riverboat ride. The book shown previously is excellent w/ plenty of details and discussion on whether Jean Lafitte was ever present during the brief battle? Dave :)
CHAL-cannons-rampart-house-960w.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WELL! For those in suspense, as to what we watched last night on July 4? :D

We could not come to an agreement on Yankee Doodle Dandy vs. 1776, so I had to come up w/ some other suggestions:

The Patriot w/ Mel Gibson (and other excellent actors) - about the move of the Revolutionary War to the south centering on the Carolinas - we're quite familiar w/ the area and have visited Camden, King's Mountain, Cowpens, and Guilford Courthourse, all battles under the British Command of Lord Cornwallis (although he had others leading the fights at King's Mountain & the Cowpens).

National Treasure w/ Nicholas Cage, Sean Bean, et al - now what can be more 4th of July that stealing the Declaration of Independence - :Cool: Dave

51EdYUp-U4L.jpg .. 91CBTkvnHzL._SX522_.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
National Treasure would also be my choice. I'm not a Mel Gibson fan. While he is certainly a gifted actor and director, his anti-semitism has blotted all that out.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
RadDave I haven't been to the Chalmette Battlefield yet. We don't do as much traveling as I would like sometimes. If you are something of a history buff as I am it seems you're always finding a new place of interest. You mentioned many sites in Muir area and that's just the Revolutionary War sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave I haven't been to the Chalmette Battlefield yet. We don't do as much traveling as I would like sometimes. If you are something of a history buff as I am it seems you're always finding a new place of interest. You mentioned many sites in Muir area and that's just the Revolutionary War sites.

Hi Sly - well, I'm a MAJOR American history buff! :D In addition to the Revolutionary War history sites mentioned, we are surrounded by Civil War Battle sites - just put together a quick map below of our locale (live in Winston Salem) and the Civil War sites that we've visited (some multiple times and not counting those above the map, such as Antietam, Harper's Ferry, Gettysburg, etc.) - Ft. Sumter is just a 5 hour drive to Charleston and Appomattox in Virginia under 3 hrs - where the Civil War began and ended! Kind of cool - :) Dave
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 8.04.09 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While we were living in Tallahassee, Florida I commuted to the govt compound I worked at in Thomasville, Georgia. Lots of Civil War historical sites nearby including a Confederate POW camp where Union soldiers were interned at.

I've also visited Gettysburg and Vicksburg. Interesting to note that both battles were won on the 4th of July, 1863.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.