A couple of questions about Magic Mouse (M3 iMac) - charging and scrolling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
New owner of a "max spec'ed" M3 iMac, coming from a mid-'11.

How do I configure the mouse so that a left swipe goes back to the previous page? Looks like in Settings, that's not available, maybe it's just me, but it seems more natural to swipe left to go back and yes, I'll get used to swiping right if that's the way it is.

Is it OK to charge from any source? Meaning, can I (safely), say, use an old phone charger with USB-C port and good to go? Note though, I don't have any Apple chargers. Of course the ports on the back would be ideal to use which is my first choice, but are they active in Sleep...or how do most on here charge their peripherals?

Bonus question: How long do you go between charges for the Mouse?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
How do I configure the mouse so that a left swipe goes back to the previous page?

This may help:

How long do you go between charges for the Mouse?

That really depends on how much you use it. You can always check > Settings > Mouse and the % is shown at the top.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ian already answered the swiping question.

Yes, you can use any charger with a USB-C port to charge the mouse.

Length between charges is entirely dependent on how much you use it. There is no one answer. If you use the mouse for 8+ hours a day, you might need to charge it more frequently than someone who uses it less so.

I remember getting about 2-3 weeks with a single charge with my workflow.

My Logitech MX Master 3 gets about that much I think. I just routinely check the percentage and when it's down to about 10%, I charge the mouse overnight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I used to let my MM run until I got a warning of low battery, but now I have added a widget to my Desktop to show the battery state of both my MBP and the MM so now when it gets to about 50% I put it on charge overnight. LIke Ashwin, I get a couple of weeks out of it, used daily.

As for charging, any reliable 5v source will work. I wouldn't waste a huge charger on it if I needed it for something else as the MM takes a very low charging current. I think the ports on the back of the iMac are powered during sleep, but I don't have one now so that's only my guess.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
You can just click the bluetooth icon in the top bar for battery percentages, which I gather 99% on here already knew this, but I didn't . I don't know when that changed and I discovered that by accident.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's where I and others have been checking the percentage of our BT devices for a while now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.