7000 unread undeletable emails in inbox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
A friend has recently replaced his iPad and finds that there are 7000 unread emails in his inbox, none of which he can delete. I have suggested that he opens email on his laptop to see if he can get rid of them from there.

if not what might solve the problem?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Done that and they say turnaround time is 5 days from yesterday. If that’s business days Monday. Their provider is BT formerly British Telecom.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I can guess what the problem might be.

If his iPad is POP3, then one can only delete them by laboriously opening them, then delete, then access the Deleted Folder then Select All and then Delete.

I have BT as well. My Computers use the IMAP protocol, but my devices use POP so I know the problem.

With IMAP on an iDevice one can block delete by selecting ALL from the start , but with POP, its open each (not read!), delete, then Block delete from the Delete Folder as I said above.

I've never found British Telecom to be a friendly or helpful company (it is owned by Spanish telefonica).

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If his iPad is POP3, then one can only delete them by laboriously opening them, then delete, then access the Deleted Folder then Select All and then Delete.

I also use POP3 for my email, and using Mac Mail.app, all I have to do is Select the email from the list (classic list view option) and hit the delete button or use right-click > Delete, or the delete from the menu drop down.

What does it show if using webmail?

And one should be able to read or delete any emails when so logged in using webmail.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Use to use pop when I only had one device, as this would control my server, but with multiple devices accessing my mail it has to be imap, that way the server ensures all devices are synced.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also use POP3 for my email, and using Mac Mail.app, all I have to do is Select the email from the list (classic list view option) and hit the delete button or use right-click > Delete, or the delete from the menu drop down.

What does it show if using webmail?

And one should be able to read or delete any emails when so logged in using webmail.

- Patrick
=======
My friend came over this morning. The problem relates to unread emails. He uses POP but I’ve managed to delete most of them. I also registered him on the BT forum and it’s clear there are a lot of problems with emails disappearing.

So I suggested he set up an iCloud email address and ditch the btinternet.com one.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can guess what the problem might be.

I have BT as well. My Computers use the IMAP protocol, but my devices use POP so I know the problem.

With IMAP on an iDevice one can block delete by selecting ALL from the start , but with POP, its open each (not read!), delete, then Block delete from the Delete Folder as I said above.

I've never found British Telecom to be a friendly or helpful company (it is owned by Spanish telefonica).

Ian
Thanks Ian, See my reply to Patrick. BT is still a FTSE 100 quoted company but Telefonica has 20% of the shares.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.