5 Very good reasons not to get a HP Slate (instead of an ipad)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Toss Linux on it and it'll be fine. :) Still, not what I would choose to buy, but I'd run Linux on it if I had one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Toss Linux on it and it'll be fine. :) Still, not what I would choose to buy, but I'd run Linux on it if I had one.

XJ, does any Linux distro support any touchscreen computing? I am not just asking to ask BTW, I am very curious and since I know you know your NIX, I figured I would ask you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
X11 has a few touchscreen drivers, one called evtouch_drv.so. I have no experience with it, but have read some mixed to positive reviews on Linuxquestions.org. There see to be quite a few proprietary drivers by such manufacturers and Fujitsu. From what I've seen, the trick is finding a driver that works with the screen, rather than the Linux distro. The xorg driver seems to be the simplest, and has regular updates and a decent following. I figured I'd give it a shot if I ever pick up a "pad-type" computing device. Here's a link to a really good IBM article regarding touch input, configuration and X11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8Mhz, 3G iPhone, iMac Pro 15"
Slate vs iPad

The Slate has some options that many iPad users have complained about like camera, USB, SD slot and Flash support. Its downfall is the fact that its a Windows based product. I did however make the 30 min drive to the Apple store to see it in person on Monday. It is very neat and fast, looks to be of high quality.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
But even a hackintosh slate would not be as good at the ipad because the hardware is not specifically designed for touch. It's just generic hardware with software to make it touch. Where as the ipad has hardware made specifically for touch and nothing else.

So on that point the ipad wins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure HP used actual purpose built hardware (the screen for example) when constructing their "slate" PC. Actually, OS X has extensions for full touch based interface. Any developers can chime in here... These were used and modified to create the chopped down iPhone OS. So, while a "hackintosh" slate might not be purpose built by Apple, it could be modified easily enough with the tools Apple has been providing for years to anyone with an OS X DVD and some free time. There an any number of Unix/Linux drivers for touch-driven interfaces, many of which could be edited to the "slate" hardware, and used in the /bin/bash shell run on OS X. Vector-based USB interface has been around the block for quite a while in the "nix" world. Ask any user of CATIA, ProE, etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks XP You beat me to the keyboard.
I am not trying to convince anyone one way or the other, I am simply stating that for me the Slate is a better hardware choice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We do not allow the discussion of installing OSX on Non Apple Hardware at Mac Forums. It's not just EULA breaking but you also have to go around apples protection for OSX to install and that is against the law and the rules here at Mac Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Notice: I'm not advocating hacking OS X to run on third party hardware. I simply wanted to point out Linux/Unix (and yes, OS X is one of these) have had a robust bevy of touch-based interface drivers and devices available since at least the 1990's.

Disclaimer: Don't hackintosh your PC hardware - use Linux.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
[dead link removed]

That is a very good article from a bloke who really gets the ipad. One very intersting persoective on the ipad. And well worth the read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
In all honesty - the main reason I wouldn't get a Slate - it's from HP.

HP has one of the worst ratings in the industry for Laptop reliability - the slate - being even smaller, and more confined, I can see how it could have even more problems and a higher failure rate then the average HP laptop.

see: Laptop reliability survey: ASUS and Toshiba win, HP fails -- Engadget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if it overheats?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lotus Esprit said:
1. Windows 7 does have multitouch built into it
2. Look at the specs
3. 64GB with 3G has an entry point of $549.00
4. True, but it can do video conferencing
5. It runs Windows 7 so it can run any software that a PC can

1. Yes but will it be optimized touch or sloppy touch? Plus W7 is a desktop system with touch as an afterthought. iPhone OS is dedicated touch from the ground up.

2. I have and I see nothing game changing for the non apple tablets.

3. And after W7 is loaded up on it how much free space is there? A lot less then the Apple ipad 64GB after it's OS is loaded up.

4. And there goes any decent chance of a long battery life.

5. Jack of all trades = master of none = W7 on a many different tablets. Apple chose to do few things but master them. And desktop OS on a tablet = bye bye long battery life. Not gonna happen.

So you shared 5 points and I commented on them :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", Late 2013
Hey guy's, I'm new to the forums here but thought I'd throw in my thoughts on this :)

I'm cautious as to weather or not I would buy an Ipad, I mean at the moment i'm still a Windows user, and contemplating a switch to Mac at some point, only question is my PC games, but I could dual boot the Mac with Windows anyway to get my game fix if needed :D

The fact the Ipad does not support Flash is concerning to a degree, but I would imagine that Apple would not implement such a decision unless there was a way to get round the problem.

The fact some people are mumping and moaning about not being able to install whatever they want onto it is a bit of a weak argument really. The Ipad has been designed as a media consumption device, so that people can browse the web, watch movies, read books, send emails etc while being mobile at the same time.

I would only use it for what it was designed for, web browsing, email, movies and read some ebooks, nothing more so the fact apps can only be installed from the App store isn't a problem for me. As I said before, I am concerned about the lack of flash damaging the browsing experience, so I won't be looking to buy an Ipad right away, I'm going to hold off for a while and generally wait things out and gather people's opinions on the whole Ipad "experience" :)

That, and I'll see what the HP Slate can produce....but I am dubious about a whole OS being run on an Atom CPU.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't it nice to have choices.....

Reaction score
I have an Iphone and I love it but I don't think I'll be getting an Ipad. I just don't think the value is there. I mean is a pure multimedia consumption device, even the best, really worth the price of a full fledged laptop? I don't think so. For me, the ipad is not even more portable. I would still have to carry an extra bag to tote the thing around. If I'm already carrying another bag I might as well have a full laptop. I really love my iphone, but if it didn't fit in my pocket it would not be worth carrying around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
^^Why would you need an extra bag to carry the iPad?? Fits in my pack with all my gear without issues and barely has a noticeable footprint.

Reaction score
That's the point, I don't carry a backpack. If I did I might as well get a laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Something wrong with your hands?? Seriously, carry it in your hands or throw it in a bag. Problem solved.

~~I'm not judging because its usually in my GF's purse so I don't have to carry it in either.(Yes I pick on her about the huge purse she has...I affectionately call her the bag lady.)

Reaction score
Dude seriously? Carry it? Yeah thats just what I want to do, carry a computer in my hands everywhere I want to go. Sorry, but that is not an acceptable solution and I doubt anyone would do it either. Now I could throw it in a bag, but like I said...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.