2nd drive to 800 g4

Reaction score
i had a pc die so I took the old drive old and want to put it in the g4. The drive is formated with xp. I was planning on installing drive and using disk util to format. But when the drive is plugging in I get the folder on boot and it will not boot. Could it be from the windows MBR? Or is there a hard drive limit on a computer this old. Drive one is 400 gig and the one im trying to add is 120 gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First up the second drive needs to be an IDE ATA drive, not SATA, and set up as a slave drive with the jumpers set accordingly. Go to the manufacturer's web site and look this up.

Then you should be able to find the drive using Disk Utility, erase and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled). If Disk Utility is unable to locate the drive, that may be the reason your PC died.

OP
L
Reaction score
it looks like it might be the master slave settings. I had it as cable select in the pC. Now I have to find a ide jumper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
cant move the jumper because cs setting was no jumper so its gone

If you are saying the drive has no jumpers, pop into your local PC shop and ask for a couple. Usually they have dozens and dozens on hand from failed drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.