27" iMac as an External Monitor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So according to AppleInsider you *CANNOT* use the new 27" iMac as a monitor unless the device feeding it has a native DisplayPort out, such as an apple laptop. Using the "displayport to dvi" adapter will not work.

AppleInsider | Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input

...looks like I'm not going to get to watch blu-ray on this display after all...:Shouting::Shouting::Shouting:

Thanks for the update & link...kind of a bummer that the 27" iMac "video in" has so many limitations...the Apple tech specs at Apple.com don't seem to clearly point this out.

Quote from Apple.com tech. specs for the 27" iMac:

"27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately)."

Let's hope that something changes...to make things more flexible.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I just read about this issue with it only working for other displayport devices. I suppose that's why Cnet said it's not possible to use otherwise. Hopefully they'll be able to make an adapter that will work.

To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone would want to hook their Macbook up to their iMac anyway. Either use the laptop screen or transfer your files over to the iMac. Chances are the iMac has more room for your files, so everything on your Macbook would be on your iMac already.

It just seems like an even less useful feature than an Expresscard slot. Maybe, like that tech, Apple is hoping Displayport will catch on and more products with have displayport connection. Either that or they actually screwed up and a DVI adapter should have worked.

Either ay, good luck to them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
this is awesome b/c i was thinking instead of spending over 4k for a mac pro and some monitors i was gonna get a 27" imac quad core with 2.8 processors and a 13" macbook pro.

Reaction score
mac pro with imac as external monitor?

would i be able to use the imac 27" as an external monitor for the Mac Pro 8 core?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
would i be able to use the imac 27" as an external monitor for the Mac Pro 8 core?

I guess so if Apple release a PCI card with a display port on it.

I think that Apples possible reason for this feature on the 27" models is so that it increases the 27" iMac's feasibility to be used as an entertainment PC in the home due to it's size and screen resolution.

Obviously, at the moment all you can hook it up to are other macs, and only recent ones at that, but hopefully Apple have something like the Apogee converter in store so that we can replace our main tv with this and hook up all our peripherals.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong (I probably am) and they simply want their customers to be able to make use of the screen real estate offered by the iMac, along with it's IPS technology and LCD backlighting, many users may feel that they don't 'own' the screen on their 27" beast unless they can use it for other things.

It's also possibly down to the fact that their target market for these machines also use laptops and plan to keep doing so once they have bought the iMac. Again, this limits it solely to recent Mac laptops with Mini display port connectors.

I own a first gen MBP which obviously has a full sized DVI port but I am in the market to buy one of these as soon as my funds grow to the price point of the core i5 model. I use (and have been using) my laptop for everything I do work wise and so if I did get a new iMac I would want to use my laptop for when I am working away from home.

Being able to just hook my laptop right up to my new iMac and switch between the two as and when would be awesome as I work with video files and might just want to 'continue my work' when I get home, but on a bigger screen.

I know this might sound odd to most of you, but it is something I genuinely would want to do.

At the moment, I feel that Apple haven't fully made clear the reasoning behind this restriction. Kind of like your parents giving you a Tesla roadster for your birthday but saying you can only drive it around the house and never anywhere else :)

I do hope they have license options open to third party manufacturers to develop legit adapters, or even themselves, as that would put the 27" right at the top of the food chain in terms of which Mac offers the most diverse range of uses.

I just Googled for a bit and I can't find a retail screen with LED, IPS, and that insane resolution available to buy. SO the screen really is at least half of the machine you buy. And it'd be great to use it as and how I wish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.