25W charger for iPhone 13??

nod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Pro, 16 GB Ram, M2 2023, 27" Studio Display
I just purchased two new iPhone 13 phones. One for my wife and one for myself. I bought them directly from Apple with no attached carrier. I went to the Verizon store and purchased the protective glass and a Defender case for each phone. As an after thought the lady asked if I had the chargers for the iPhones. Since I upgraded from an iPhone 7 she said I needed a new charger. It was a 25W charger and I bought (over paid) two chargers. For the last week I have been searching around the web and can not find a definitive answer as to whether the 25W charger will damage the batteries in the iPhones.
Anyone know??
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is the brand name for the wall charger brick? Most phones (especially newer ones) will self regulate while charging. Personally if it is a major brand, ie Anker, Belkin, and even Samsung can be trusted.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Tech Specs for iPhone 13 shows the different thing that happens with different wattage chargers.

I use a wireless charger on my nightstand that I used with my iPhone XS and it is a Qi compliant charger and thus charges at 7.5W and I do it overnight.

The Magsafe goes to 15W, but fast charging 20W+ are also supported, so your 25W charger is way more than the other means which means you'll be charging the battery very quickly.

I can't speak to how the battery will handle being charged that way all the time.

OP
N

nod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The charger is a "pure.gear". I guess I will just order two 20W chargers from Apple. Really don't want to hose these batteries.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The charger is a "pure.gear". I guess I will just order two 20W chargers from Apple. Really don't want to hose these batteries.
Good move! :):)

Ian

OP
N

nod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good move! :):)

Ian

Yes, I believe so. Two Apple chargers are cheaper than one 25W charger at the Verizon store. Go figure...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yes, I believe so. Two Apple chargers are cheaper than one 25W charger at the Verizon store. Go figure...
Hey Nod - that is rather shocking! Apple 'stuff' can be so overpriced - :eek:

But out of curiosity, I was perusing Ashwin's link - the 'Power & Battery' info shown below - appears that a 20W adapter is recommended for a 'fast charge' but 'higher' is mentioned, so I assume your 25W charger would be safe w/ the built-in safety electronics of the iPhone (or would the sales person have sold you it?) - well, good luck and all seems well. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 5.53.39 PM.png

OP
N

nod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it would be better to be safe than sorry. I will say having used the 25W charger it does charge the battery much faster. The iPhone gets really warm as well. Since I can't afford new iPhones any time soon I am using the Apple 20W chargers. I could go off on the fact there should be a charger with every iPhone but why bother. Apparently Cook doesn't make enough money yet.

OP
N

nod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wanted to follow this up with the fact the the 25W charger was causing the iPhone to get really hot. The Apple 20W charger gets the iPhone a little warm. Really feels like my iPhone 7 when charging with the supplied charger. In my opinion the 25W charger is a little too much for the iPhone 13.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.