256 GB SSD vs. 500 GB 7200 rpm

Reaction score
I was recently in the same situation with my mid 2010 MBP. I ultimately went with a Seagate xt momentus 500gig at 7200rpm. The drive has been great. My boot time is around 25 to 30 secs on average. The only complaints I have are noise and power consumption. The drive is not unbearably loud, but it is definately noticible to me, and sometimes it does vibrate. However, the battery life has taken a significant dive. I use the MBP primarily for school and work files and I can say my MBP only gets about 4 to 5 hours of life if I'm lucky. That is primarily web surfing, writing papers, and using Excel. Lately I prob have only been getting 4 hours (maybe) and my battery still has a capacity of 98%. My MBP is only 24 weeks old and I have a total of 60 charges on the battery. I'm considering going back to the factory supplied HD.

Im glad I found this thread because I actually signed up on this board last night specifically to ask a few questions about switching to a SSD.

Thanks for sharing your experience with a 7200rpm hdd. Now I know to steer clear from that one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.