2017 MBP USB C-WIFI issues not solved?

Reaction score
Hello guys, I tried to search for info on this issue but I couldn't find anything.

I bought my first macbook two weeks ago, a 2017 base 8gb 128 MBP. I got a usb c to micro usb b cable to plug my seagate and WD external hd drives, a usb c hub and a usb c to usb A adapter. To be able to connect my devices to my new computer. The problem is that whenever I plug any device through the adapter/hub/cable that I mentioned, the wifi shuts down!!!
It says that it is connected but it doesn't load anything on safari/chrome, I can't print with my wifi printer, and all of the wifi AP disappear (except for the one that it is currently connected to).
At first I thought that it was the usb c hub that was defective, and the makers kindly offered to send me a new one to see if the problem was gone, although they cited some issue with usb 3.0 devices interfering with wifi, and that it might be the cause of the problem: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/w...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html
I just saw that some late 2016 computers also have this problem.

So when I plug into my MBP a usb flash drive, my phone, iPod or whatever, wifi stops working, when I disconnect the usb device, it magically starts working again, it is so frustrating because I got rid of my windows laptop when I received my MBP, I wasn't expecting this kind of problems on a new device.

Do you guys know if I take the computer to an Apple Store could they fix or change the computer on the same day? I have to do a 3h drive to get the nearest one, on tech support by phone they just asked to update Sierra OS to the latest update, but it didn't fix anything.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums...

You have exactly 14 days from the date of purchase to return your MBP if you don't like it You might be beyond that period right now, but your MBP comes with 1 year of AppleCare which should cover diagnosing this issue and getting the right fix (or replacement) as appropriate..

I would suggest you make an Genius appointment, take the USB-C dongles/devices with you and demonstrate the issue to them with the WiFi and let them have at it..

I have a 2016 MBP and use a HooToo USB-C hub that provides 3 USB 3.0, SD card, HDMI and charging capability. I've been using this for 6 months now with WiFi without any issues..

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for answering, I'll do as you recommend, the appointment.
I might also try and get that USB hub you're using. Because if that would fix the problem it would save me the drive and time to get there.

Thanks again.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The white paper you mention is from 2012 and not having read the whole thing, I'm confused as to how a USB-C flash drive for example would affect WiFi. Now, granted that I'm only use 5 Ghz WiFi at work and home, perhaps there is an issue with 2.4 Ghz that I'm avoiding..

However, the hub I've been using has been working great and has been reliable..

Reaction score
Did you get this sorted @capotril?

I am having the same issue. Bought a type c adapter which outputs to hdmi and standard usb. It was working ok initially but now whenever I connect it up I lose wi-fi. As soon as I disconnect it wi-fi comes back straight away.

It's meant to have 'EMI protection prevent interfere with wireless devices' but seems it doesn't work! Maybe the official Apple product would?

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues. I am currently on the phone with Apple Care and they just told me its because of putting USB-C drive/adapter behind the computer is the cause. They made me go through 30 mins of BS and now I'm asking for a manager. GOD!!

Reaction score
Okay.. I have a solution for this..
AppleCare people didn't help... I actually still have my appointment with Apple Store this saturday, just in case.. But.. Here is my solution..
Cable!!! I swap the cable that came with my SD card reader and also my hard drive (USB 3 Micro B to USB - C) I used another longer cable and its now working. I now have my SD card reader in one port and my USB-C Hard drive plugged in and both are working and also Wifi. I'm guessing short cable (1 ft) is causing some sort of issues. Or could be the brand.
Current USB-C cables are 2+ ft long and two different brand.

OP
C
Reaction score
@owenjt
I bought the HOOTOO adapter that Raz0rEdge mentioned. It still has some interference with my wifi, but at least I can remain connected now to my home/office network while using wireless network.
It's a shame that apple didn't put the effort in fixing this issue, they could've place some sort of ''anti-interference'' material when they designed this MBP so we could avoid all this mess.

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay.. I have a solution for this..
AppleCare people didn't help... I actually still have my appointment with Apple Store this saturday, just in case.. But.. Here is my solution..
Cable!!! I swap the cable that came with my SD card reader and also my hard drive (USB 3 Micro B to USB - C) I used another longer cable and its now working. I now have my SD card reader in one port and my USB-C Hard drive plugged in and both are working and also Wifi. I'm guessing short cable (1 ft) is causing some sort of issues. Or could be the brand.
Current USB-C cables are 2+ ft long and two different brand.

Awww man, I wish I knew this earlier so I didn't have to spend more money on a new adapter hahah. The admin should pin your post in case someone else has this issue.

Please let me know what solution they give you on your appointment if you decide to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just a crazy thought here but I'm wondering if wrapping the adapter and maybe the cable in aluminum foil in case they are causing some huge interference.

Crazy suggestion yes, maybe, but I'd give it a try. It should only take a minute or so. :Oops:

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
Just a crazy thought here but I'm wondering if wrapping the adapter and maybe the cable in aluminum foil in case they are causing some huge interference.

Crazy suggestion yes, maybe, but I'd give it a try. It should only take a minute or so. :Oops:

- Patrick
======

I actually tried that because I read it somewhere else, but it didn't work for me. besides I only placed the aluminum foil over the cable and the plastic end of the cable, I wasn't feeling confident of covering the metal part and risking a short cut or something by doing it lol

Reaction score

======

I tried this and it worked! Adapter is still rubbish so got a refund. Currently trying to find one that won't cause interference.

Reaction score
@owenjt
I bought the HOOTOO adapter that Raz0rEdge mentioned. It still has some interference with my wifi, but at least I can remain connected now to my home/office network while using wireless network.
It's a shame that apple didn't put the effort in fixing this issue, they could've place some sort of ''anti-interference'' material when they designed this MBP so we could avoid all this mess.

Ok cheers. Appears it's difficult to find any adapter that doesn't interfere (without it being far away from the laptop or wrapped in foil!). Surely the official Apple one works though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried this and it worked!

Great!!! And thanks for the feedback.

Not the first crazy idea that has worked and may look a bit odd, but at least it's working no thanks to some poor design and manufacturing it seems. :[

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Just bought a new MBP 2017 model and a HooToo USB-C hub so that I can use my wireless mouse (with USB-A dongle) and HDMI monitor at my desk. Not using power pass-through, just those two things, and sure enough I found that WiFi would drop when I plugged in the hub, and then return after a minute or so of unplugging it.

So I did a bit of experimentation...

My home network is a pair of the latest version of AirPort Extreme Base Stations in hard-wired bridge mode. The one farthest from my office is the "main" that is connected to my cable modem and the one in my office is bridged via hard wire.

I noticed while I was troubleshooting that I was not connecting to the closest AEBS because I forgot to add my new MBP to the ACL list. As a result it was establishing a weak connect to the unit farthest away (and yielding a 45ms ping and 1 to 3 mbps download speed according to Speedtest).

I added it to the ACL of the nearby AEBS, turned WiFi off, then turned it back on and connected to the nearby AEBS. Voila, 17ms ping and 95 mbps download (which is what I average).

Then I plugged in my HooToo USB-C hub with mouse and HDMI connected.

Guess what... No more problem!!

So my theory is that if you have a weak WiFi signal, you will have problems with a USB-C adapter. But if you have a strong WiFi signal, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'd be curious to see if others can replicate my results

UPDATE:

Just had a thought... When close by, I think that MacBooks and AEBS will switch to 5Ghz mode, but when far apart they use the 2.4Ghz frequency. The wireless mouse transmitter probably uses this same frequency, which might explain why WiFi works when connected to the nearby AEBS but not the farther one.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a 2017 MBP from work and they got me a Satechi USB-C hub. I used my 2016 MBP with the HooToo for a year before switching to the new combo and while I had no trouble with WiFi during that time, the one issue I did have with the HooToo was the HDMI connection.

I used the HooToo to connect to an external display and found that whenever I plugged it in, the MBP would lock up. I had to restart everything, then plug JUST the hub in first and then plug the HDMI cable in. This got old quite quickly as you can imagine.

With the new Satechi hub, I can plug it in with the HDMI cable plugged in when I move my laptop around and it works every single time without any problems!

Reaction score
I used the HooToo to connect to an external display and found that whenever I plugged it in, the MBP would lock up. I had to restart everything, then plug JUST the hub in first and then plug the HDMI cable in. This got old quite quickly as you can imagine.

With the new Satechi hub, I can plug it in with the HDMI cable plugged in when I move my laptop around and it works every single time without any problems!

Sounds like a slightly different issue - your Mac was locking up rather than just killing the WiFi?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.