2014 macbook pro only starts in safe mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
JJV, there are NO viruses for macOS so you need zero antivirus software. However, as suggested, malwarebytes is a good cleanup application. When you install it, it will install as a full version, which you do not need. You will get warnings to pay them for about a month, after which it will revert to the free version, which is all that is needed. The difference is that the paid version is resident, running all the time, while the free version only runs when you run it. You don't need it running all the time, so the free is just fine.

Another thing you might look at is a blocker like Ghostery or uBlock to stop the various trackers/beacons/redirects on a lot of sites. That's what happened to your blocked machine, you got redirected and then the system got stuck there. Ghostery and the like will block things like that from happening. I use Ghostery and have it set to block EVERYTHING.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You will get warnings to pay them for about a month, after which it will revert to the free version,

I wonder if there are different Mac versions as I've never ever received any nag, not even a peep, from any of the MALWAREBYTES FOR MAC versions I've installed.

Maybe it was due to having its previous free application "AdwareMedic" app installed for ages.

Anyway, minor deal. But thanks to the AdwareMedic developer Thomas Reed, one of his conditions when selling it was that they always provide a free version apparantly. Let's hope they keep it that way. :D

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Out of loyalty I did update to the paid version and I beleive that if I do not renew it too will revert to the unpaid version. Never had a nag though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The nag period is long expired, but I seem to recall that the nag appeared on boot, when malwarebytes first went resident. Then again when it reverted to the free version. After that, nothing. And I had AdwareMedic installed, too, so that wasn't it, Patrick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The nag period is long expired…
… …
Then again when it reverted to the free version…

Thanks Jake. I almost forgot I still have AdwareMedic.app installed and it still seems to work and the files are still updated. I thought it went to app heaven after he sold it.and became MALWAREBYTES FOR MAC.

It seems I sent him a donation in 2014 and possibly that may have affected the lack of any nag???

Anyway they both work well, but I wish they had kept and used the AdwareMedic name.

My only question is how on earth do they keep up and gather or know about all the various nasties to keep things updated???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
malwarebytes (and I think AdwareMedic) both communicate with the mother ship about things they encounter. That back-channel communications is referenced in the user agreement, but a lot of folks don't bother to read those things. From the EULA:
Without limiting the Privacy Policy, you agree that Malwarebytes may track certain data it obtains from your Device, including data about any malicious software, exploits or other threats flagged by the Software (including but not limited to potential sources of such threats, such as payload files, file format and recent URL's visited), data about your license, data about what version of the Software you are using and what operating conditions it runs under and data concerning your geographic location. This information is collected and used for the purpose of tracking malicious software, exploits and other threats, and evaluating and improving Malwarebytes' products and services.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That reminds me... I just received a 9 page terms of service document in PDF format from my ISP. What a load of legalese! You have to be a lawyer specializing in that sort of thing to understand most of it. However, the bottom line of any TOS and most EULAs is that if you use our product, you agree to our terms. If you don't like it, quit using our product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.