2011 27" iMac Slow to Wake

Reaction score
Running HS 10:13:6. Have a 1 TB SSD about 20 % used. 8GB Ram. This problem started about a month ago. It takes about 30 seconds to Wake from Sleep whereas prior to that it was almost instantaneous. I have done a system reinstall but that did not affect this issue (there was another issue that it appears to have resolved). My virus protection is Malwarebytes but the free version which only operates manually.Suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How often do you restart? I tend to restart once a week, unless an issue arises, for example iCloud was slow to sync between my devices, so I restarted them all.

Also, what do you have enabled in System Preferences > Energy Saver?

OP
M
Reaction score
When you say restart are you meaning rebooting? If so, I do it daily. Energy savings are Computer and Display sleep about 5 minutes. The only box I have ticked is "Wake for network access"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the SMC for your iMac. It's real easy to do with an iMac:

[h=3]Desktop computers[/h][FONT=&quot]
  1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Let us know.
[/FONT]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you say restart are you meaning rebooting? If so, I do it daily. Energy savings are Computer and Display sleep about 5 minutes. The only box I have ticked is "Wake for network access"
The only other box I have checked is;

Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
External drives attached? Spinners? They can slow a wake up if they are also sleeping and have to spin up.

OP
M
Reaction score
No external drives attached. There is an internal DVD drive if that is what you mean by "spinner". After completing the procedures suggested by chscag above the situation remains the same. When I try to wake it up, sometimes the screen will remain blank and sometimes it partially wakes, "blurred" and I am able to enter my password however after that it still takes about 30 second to wake.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
M
Reaction score
For what it's worth, here are my settings:

View attachment 31684

There are possibly two other things that have not been mentioned, but which appear on the Apple KB:

1. Reset NVRAM - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac – Apple Support

2. Try to isolate the issue by creating another user account - exact details - How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac – Apple Support

Ian

OK, I did both of these, ie a new user account and I reset NVRAM. unfortunately neither of these resolved the issue. Using a separate User Account the issue is still there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you install the SSD yourself? If not, how do you know you have an SSD, and not a rotational HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
No external drives attached. There is an internal DVD drive if that is what you mean by "spinner". After completing the procedures suggested by chscag above the situation remains the same. When I try to wake it up, sometimes the screen will remain blank and sometimes it partially wakes, "blurred" and I am able to enter my password however after that it still takes about 30 second to wake.
A "spinner" is a rotational hard drive. The motor to rotate the disc consumes power, so some manufacturers have the drive stop spinning if it isn't used for a while. Then when it is needed, it spins up again. Sometimes that spin up and handshake to the OS to say the drive is now ready can take some time.

krs

Reaction score
Did you try using the power button to wake from sleep rather than the keyboard?

Second question: With your new setting, do the fans continue to run long term?
I think the fans should shut off after a short time.

OP
M
Reaction score
As the WD replacement SSD does not incorporate the Apple heat sensor, SSD Fan control is installed. The Fan RMP can be adjusted manually but it does not appear to shut the fans off automatically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.