2010 Macbook Pro 13" a1278 Power Pad location?? Please help!!

Reaction score
Ok heres my situation.
On January 7th, spilt a mouthful of a liquor cooler ontop of the keyboard of my Macbook Pro. I immediately flipped it over so it wouldn't go into the MOBO.
Turned it off, took back casing off, and removed the battery which had a little bit of the liquor on it and the hard drive which had a tiny bit as well. Tested both, and they both are working no issues so I'm assuming is a good thing and that my situation is keyboard/power switch related not motherboard related.

Now, what I need help with is locating the power pads for this model of macbook. I've narrowed down a few pictures but where they show the pads my board looks quite different. I can upload pictures in future posts if need be.

Ive done the smc reset, which I should add as well when I do this the magsafe light goes from solid orange to green for a few seconds and back to orange. But without doing the option+control+shift+power, there is no change in the light just stays orange.

Please help me find these pads, I've read online that the a1278 has little info on these. Also what ever more info you need I am willing to provide!!

Thank you from a desperate man..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think he may be referring to the logic board points where he can short out the power switch and get his MacBook Pro to start up. He can probably find them by looking at the instructions in ifixit.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok…good deal.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sometimes ;iquid cooler takes days, weeks or months to short the logic board. Liquid + electronics = death!

Good luck.

OP
D
Reaction score
Power pad as in power-on pad? Its referenced in the ifixit website link that someone told me to look at. I have already looked at it, but my mobo is slightly different I dont know why?
But I see nothing like what the 2010 macbook pro images show on that website compared to my mobo.
And yes I know eventually liquid = death but literally 4 tbsp of liquor spilt on it lol, I just want to see if its the power button/top casing?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its referenced in the ifixit website link that someone told me to look at. I have already looked at it, but my mobo is slightly different I dont know why?
But I see nothing like what the 2010 macbook pro images show on that website compared to my mobo.

The answer is the computer needs to be disassembled until you can see the two wires coming from the power button. Trace these wires to the logic board…and these will be the "power pads".

And yes I know eventually liquid = death but literally 4 tbsp of liquor spilt on it lol...

It's not always about how much liquid is spilled…it's about where it's spilled.

If only spilling 4 tbsp of liquid was so minor…you wouldn't be in this situation. Think about it...;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Liquids, particularly anything other than pure distilled water, are fatal to electronics. The chemicals in the cooler will etch, corrode, short and otherwise damage circuits all over the place. The fact that the liquid got to the battery and HD indicates it got to the MOBO as well, plus it could (and probably did) get to the other components not directly on the MOBO, like your keyboard and power switch. That's a six year old machine and the repair costs are going to be more than the value of the machine. The good news is that the HD can most likely be salvaged, unless it was in the process of being written to at the time of the incident, so you have a high probability of being able to get your data onto your inevitably new machine.

The power button should not spark, unless the cooler got to it also. But that first application of power is going to fry a lot of things, most of them invisibly, so don't expect it to recover.

In the words of Doc McCoy of StarTrek, "She's dead, Jim."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"The engines can nae take any more, Captain"

Ha ha…that would be Scotty.;)

Now just for fun…what would:

- Spock say?
- Uhura say?
- Sulu say?
- Chekov say?

When faced with a liquid damaged laptop??;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Spock - Captain, this computation device appears to have come in contact with a substance in a liquid state.
Uhura - Captain, Starfleet has contacted us, they think the computer has been damaged by liquid and want us to proceed immediately to Starbase 57 for replacement.
Sulu - Captain, course is set for Starbase 57, warp 9, to get a replacement computer.
Chekov - Capitan, ve hav found moisture in the computer.

Have I watched too many eps?

Ok, now for you:

Jean-Luc Picard, Riker, Troy and Data?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spock - Captain, this computation device appears to have come in contact with a substance in a liquid state.
Uhura - Captain, Starfleet has contacted us, they think the computer has been damaged by liquid and want us to proceed immediately to Starbase 57 for replacement.
Sulu - Captain, course is set for Starbase 57, warp 9, to get a replacement computer.
Chekov - Capitan, ve hav found moisture in the computer.

AWESOME answers Jake. You are a true "trekkie"!:):)

Ok, now for you:

Jean-Luc Picard, Riker, Troy and Data?

Yikes. I don't think I can do nearly as well with "Next Generation" characters. Ok...I'll give it a shot:

* Jean-Luc Picard: Make it so number 1.
* Riker: There was a time "she" was one hot laptop!
* Troy: I'm "feeling" this laptop has seen better days.
* Data: That was my other brother.

;);)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@ Jake and Nick I don't know how I feel about your most recent contributions to this thread:

1. Amazed that you came up with those answers. Nice work.
2. Disappointed I didn't come up with a single one of them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ Jake and Nick I don't know how I feel about your most recent contributions to this thread:...

Yes. It's amazing how easily it is to innocently go off-topic!;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Off topic? How can Star Trek be off topic anywhere????

Nick, great answers, the Riker one was priceless.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Klingons would of course say it's a good day to die. Ferengie look upon it as a good day to do business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Star Trek is always off topic unless you are a keen twelve year old! Or some poor fellow caught in a time warp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.