2009 iMac 27", video card / GPU problem - worth repairing?

Reaction score
Dear Forum members,
My 2009 iMac has been a great machine since purchasing, but the screen froze up while using it on the weekend.

I restarted it, the Apple logo appears, goes to a blue screen momentarily, then displays a random pixellated pattern, stair step effect, with the cursor on screen but effectively a frozen computer.

Started OK in Safe mode, looks normal, but runs slow and videos and sound won't play.

Verified disk and repaired permissions.
restarted with CMD + SHIFT +P+R for PRAM

Same problem after doing all of that. I suspect it's a video card / GPU issue. (are they the same thing?, part of the same component?)

I made 2 backups of HD while in Safemode.

I have been given an estimate of $600 AUD to repair.

I have a couple of questions:
From what I've described does it sound like the video card / GPU is at fault?

Do you think it's worth spending $600 AUD on a computer that's 6.5 years old?

Or do you think I am better off purchasing new for around $2700 AUD for a similar machine?

If purchasing a new iMac I have some concern whether my (licensed) Adobe CS6 software will run correctly.

I run Adobe CS6 Master Collection using mainly Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro and Audition.

I have Avast anti-virus software on the machine.

Late 2009, iMac 27" 1Tb, 16Gb, i5 2.66ghz, Quadcore
Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Thank you and best regards :)
L

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If it were me...to verify 100% that it's a hardware or software issue...I would boot the computer from a different hard drive (external) with a fresh install of the OS.

- If the problem continue's...then it's a hardware issue.
- If the problem does not continue...then there's a software issue on the internal HD.

* Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
If it were me...to verify 100% that it's a hardware or software issue...I would boot the computer from a different hard drive (external) with a fresh install of the OS.

- If the problem continue's...then it's a hardware issue.
- If the problem does not continue...then there's a software issue on the internal HD.

* Nick

Thanks for your reply.
I had a shop diagnose the problem ... but their diagnosis was not definitive, sounded more like they were guessing, like me.

Do you think it's worth spending the $ on a machine of that age?

thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I run Adobe CS6 running all the apps you listed on my 2010 Mac Pro and 2011 Macbook Pro running 10.11.6 with no issues.

It is basically the OS X version that makes the difference and so far, (fingers crossed ;) ) CS6 is still compatible with the latest version.

The only thing I do different is I do not run any anti-virus. Also given what you describe, I would guess it is the graphics/GPU having issues. Try the troubleshooting suggestions Nick suggested.

If you purchase a new iMac you will see a nice performance boost.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
For that machine, the troubleshooting is worth it, but not the repair cost.

I was going to suggest a slightly used iMac from Apple Refurb, but just noticed Au does not have any refurb iMacs available.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

OP
L
Reaction score
I run Adobe CS6 running all the apps you listed on my 2010 Mac Pro and 2011 Macbook Pro running 10.11.6 with no issues.

It is basically the OS X version that makes the difference and so far, (fingers crossed ;) ) CS6 is still compatible with the latest version.
s Nick suggested.

Lisa

Thanks for your reply Lisa, I appreciate it

OP
L
Reaction score
For that machine, the troubleshooting is worth it, but not the repair cost.

I was going to suggest a slightly used iMac from Apple Refurb, but just noticed Au does not have any refurb iMacs available.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

Thanks for your reply Bob.

I noticed there are some 27" iiMacs on that link. I'll check it out, that's something I didn't consider.

OP
L
Reaction score
I would boot the computer from a different hard drive (external) with a fresh install of the OS.

* Nick

Thanks for the advice Nick,
I just worked out how to do that and am creating a boot drive on USB.
I'll boot from that and see how it goes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll boot from that and see how it goes.

Good luck...hope it works. If not...then we did our best to be sure it wasn't a "silly" software issue. If it's truly a hardware issue...and needs the $600 repair...then it's probably not worth it.

Again...good luck.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Was that quote from an Apple Store or Resller Leonard? I would be very leery of a PC shop diagnosing anything Mac.

OP
L
Reaction score
Was that quote from an Apple Store or Resller Leonard? I would be very leery of a PC shop diagnosing anything Mac.

I received poor service from Apple (long story) so I decided instead to try a PC store nearby that advertised they were proficient in servicing/ repairing macs. (I should know better but I haven't needed Mac repairs in 10 years)

I took my Mac in, however I think the PC store did not even diagnose the problem correctly - if at all. When I called them the next day they used vague language ( 'sounds like', 'could be', 'seems to be'). I also found out the Mac was offsite.

When I asked for a repair quote in writing detailing their diagnosis of the problems and exactly what they would replace or repair they were still vague.

My suspicions about the business were confirmed when I went to collect the machine. The guy on duty had an unfriendly demeanour more reminiscent of a drug addict or possibly someone that had been up all night playing a FPS game. Scary stuff! :) I'll never go there again.

L

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Leonard, imho worth spending say up to $300-$400. Have you got the original OS X.6 DVD? If so you can boot from the disc, if possible, and run Apple Hardware Test. We very seldom see iMacs or Mc Pro on Apple au refurb site. Plenty of MacBooks and Minis. I would still try an Apple Reseller for a quote. Close to a major city as your avatar does not give a location.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Nick,
The plot thickens. I installed OS X 10.6 on a usb and set that as the start up disk.

My iMac has started, though running slowly with the OS on usb, but it now plays sound and video.

I am thinking that this indicates it's not a hardware problem after all? Do you agree?
I think my next step would be to do a backup and clean install of OSX.

What do you think?

thanks and regards
L

OP
L
Reaction score
Harry,
Yes I have the original install dvd and made a boot drive on usb.
I have just booted from usb, it's slow but now plays video and sound.
see my message above to Nick
Leonard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iMac has started, though running slowly with the OS on usb, but it now plays sound and video.

I am thinking that this indicates it's not a hardware problem after all? Do you agree?
I think my next step would be to do a backup and clean install of OSX.

What do you think?

That's positive news!:) The slowness could be due to communication via the USB port (slower)...so maybe nothing to be concerned about.

Concerning the seriousness of the problem (possible expensive hardware issue)...wiping the hard drive & a fresh install of the OS would be a great way of eliminating any issues related to software or the old OS install. Of course remember to backup everything that's important...and you will need to reinstall all user installed apps.

One question. How come you're running OS 10.6 on a USB? 10.6 (Snow Leopard) only came on DVD...should be using a 10.6 OS install DVD.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge, but I couldn't seem to get the dvd install disk to give me the option of using it as the startup disk. I'll have another look, I must have missed something.

thanks, that could be light at the end of the tunnel ... :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I couldn't seem to get the dvd install disk to give me the option of using it as the startup disk.

Upon bootup...press & hold the "c" key until it starts booting from the DVD.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Upon bootup...press & hold the "c" key until it starts booting from the DVD.

- Nick

Yes I did do that initially, but it seemed to only give the option of reinstalling the system software rather than operating the OS from the disc itself. It goes straight to the screen 'Install Mac OSX'
Any suggestions? Must be something I've overlooked.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.