20 inch imac monitor color problems

Reaction score
So I have a 2 year old 20 inch imac and everytime I restart it, the colors become way too over saturated and contrasty. I have a photo as my desktop and when the computer first starts, I see the normal colors for a second before they all the sudden change to some crazy colors and the image gets dark. I have tried using the calibration method and nothing helps! It did this once before. I opened the photo in DIVX instead of preview and it changed back to normal. Anyone know whats going on?

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, So I just re-installed DIXV and opened the file with it and my screen brightened and went back to normal. What does the DIVX program have to do with my monitor display?

Reaction score
My guess is, nothing... just a fluke maybe;D

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem and came across your post. I would restart the computer and after logging in, the colors on my desktop appeared correctly for a second or two, before becoming super contrasty. I found the solution to my problem in the Universal Access control panel under the "Seeing" tab. Here you will find a slider to "enhance contrast". My keyboard went haywire right before this happened... it seemed like the control, option, & command keys were stuck along with who knows what other keys. There are hot keys to reduce and increase contrast, so the faulty keyboard must have triggered the problem. I have also inadvertently triggered the VoiceOver functionality found in this control panel as well and spent several hours diagnosing that problem. It is rather annoying that hot keys to trigger the functionality in this control panel are enabled out of the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.