2 networks

Reaction score
I hope the title is correct..

I have a MacBookPro running Sierra 10.12.2

For reasons I have forgotten I setup 2 wireless networks on this laptop.
My wireless devices are a HP printer, a nether router, a Sony TV..
on my MacBook, I am running a media server "Serviio"

The other night, my wireless must have went down, then came back on.
But it took my HP printer and my media server off line..

I am only asking a question for reference as both are back up and running, but with
quirks.
I got the printer back on my "main" network but the media server will not attache to that
network, so I had to use the second network...
Can anyone give me a reason for this?
I guess I should remove one of them but I am worried about which one is working better.
When I was trying to reset the hp printer, it's scan of the networks never shown either of mine
and the router is only about a foot away...
Best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am not sure what you have setup exactly so I will go through what you have provided, comment, and hopefully provide helpful hints.

First, let me define a network. A network will start with a router that will provide addresses to devices and route the traffic between them or devices on the internet. The network name on the router should be set to have one SSID for both the 2.4MHz and 5MHz networks then devices can switch between them as needed.

I am confused when you say “set up 2 wireless networks.” You can not "setup" two wireless networks on a laptop. You can let your laptop "join" as many networks as you wish and it will store that information for the next time it encounters that network. BUT you will only be connected to one network at a time. Could you please explain what you mean by 2 wireless networks a bit more.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you and you are correct
I don't know if I can give any further info,
my router is putting out both a 5gh and 2.4gh signal.
my media server is I think on one network, while the HP printer is on the other, and I can watch a movie and
send a file to the printer ...
I could be all wrong on this.. so I"ll do some more checking on this..
best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, that helps. I have a Time Capsule that handles my wireless network that is an 802.11ac router. I have named my 2.4GHz network one name and my 5GHz network with the same name and added -5GHz to it. Example: Lastname (for 2.4GHz) and Lastname-5GHZ (for the 5GHz). I do that because so much runs on the 2.4 side I like to break up the various wireless channels. But 2.4GHz reaches longer distances so upstairs in bed it is the better choice. 5GHz only covers a shorter range but offers a significantly higher maximum data rate making it ideal for streaming. Most newer routers that offer 802.11ac and have the mimo antenna system.

Setting your media server to run on the 5GHz network is definitely a good way to go. Actually the HP printer could also. Remember 2.4GHz is usually a crowded frequency because of wireless phones, tv remotes, or any other wireless devices.

This article does a nice job of explaining the two frequencies used in wireless networks and what the difference is:
http://www.speedguide.net/faq/is-5ghz-wireless-better-than-24ghz-340

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That is a really good article Lisa, now page marked for future reference. Thanks??

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your welcome! Wireless can get very confusing. Trust me - there are times, while I understand what should be happening, nothing is working as it is supposed to. It can drive an IT crazy because it always happens when you most need it to work. ;)

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.