2 lines on iPhone 12 Pro Max -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Apparently, Verizon forgot how to do this because I have had two lines (personal & business numbers) on my iPhones for several years. One is via SIM and the other is by eSim.

After 2 days of trying to deal with tech support at Verizon, they have no clue as to how to add a 2nd line to my new iPhone 12 Pro Max (512gb). I just don't get it.

Is a call with Apple warranted, to find out something that Verizon doesn't know?

Thanks and regards,

Rich

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Apparently the eSim1 is where the difficulty is and it has been renamed the "Digital Sim."

Thanks for your reply.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, you can switch between lines by touching the label of the line you're currently using. Nothing about national/international, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What I have setup is a SIM from EE, in the UK, and Verizon in the eSIM. To get this to work, I got on a chat line with a Verizon tech rep through www.verizonwireless.com. She was able to move my Verizon from the SIM to the eSIM with her access. Took about 10 minutes to accomplish. Then I removed the Verizon SIM and put in the EE SIM and activated it myself. Now the EE is turned off until I travel again, at which time I'll turn off Verizon and turn on EE through Settings/Cellular Plans. You should be able to do the same, just have two Verizon numbers instead of one Verizon and one EE. In fact, there is a way to do it yourself, I think, with the "Add Cellular Plan" button in Settings/Cellular on the iPhone. But I've not used that, so I don't know if it works all that well.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you hit Add Cellular Plan it is supposed to produce the number of an eSim - it won't. It was explained to me that "this is Verizon's first go at the iPhone 12 AND 5G" so they produced a ticket and kicked it upstairs to the Verizon/iPhone department so they could figure out exactly how to make it create an eSim.

Waaaayyyy beyond my pay grade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you hit Add Cellular Plan it is supposed to produce the number of an eSim - it won't. It was explained to me that "this is Verizon's first go at the iPhone 12 AND 5G" so they produced a ticket and kicked it upstairs to the Verizon/iPhone department so they could figure out exactly how to make it create an eSim.

Waaaayyyy beyond my pay grade.
Sorry, but that's a BS answer from Verizon. Try it again and push for someone who knows what they are doing. I had two lines in my 11 and now in my 12, so this is definitely NOT Verizons first go.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you tell me how they second line was added please?

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The tech asked for the phone number, then, as I recall, the IMEI of the phone or the EID or the MEID or the physical SIM number (Can't remember, all three are available on Settings/General/About). Then a few taps on the keyboard (hers) and it was done. Pretty straightforward. When I went to the chat line, I asked for someone who could activate my phone and got her that way.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. That's what's going on here, but according to them they get no response. I guess you got a better-trained tech than the 6 or so I've talked to in the last 3 days. I'm also going to try to chat with apple later, but I don't think that will get me anywhere either.

Boy do I wish I could talk to the tech you talked to.

Rich

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake -

Just got off the phone with Apple Support. They told me you can't have two lines on the same phone with 5G! The tech said, if you want two lines, please put in your sim card from the 11 Pro Max and you will have 4G and two lines. Then she said that I might want to get 2 nano sim cards. This is crazy-making.

I think I'll leave this to Verizon to someday have an answer.

Rich

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake -

Just got off the phone with Apple Support. They told me you can't have two lines on the same phone with 5G! The tech said, if you want two lines, please put in your sim card from the 11 Pro Max and you will have 4G and two lines. Then she said that I might want to get 2 nano sim cards. This is crazy-making.

I think I'll leave this to Verizon to someday have an answer.

Rich
Well, I don’t know what to say. I have two accounts, albeit my home area has no 5G yet. But I don’t see how that is an issue. Very strange. Still sounds like BS to me, but if it were me, I’d keep pushing. Maybe change one number away from Verizon?.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake - Can you please tell me how you got in touch with Verizon? I think you said you were on an Apple chat board?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing strange. I went to Verizon wireless.com, logged in, started a chat and asked for a tech rep.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try that next. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@davefor, that is the process I described in Post #6 earlier. I started with Verizon, moved it to eSIM through Verizon, then put the EE PAYG SIM in the SIM tray and activated that. Now, as I said, the EE is dormant but ready for me to travel again. The EE PAYG SIM cannot be moved to eSIM, which is why Verizon is the eSIM. You do have to be careful about what can and cannot go in eSIM.

Reaction score
@davefor, that is the process I described in Post #6 earlier. I started with Verizon, moved it to eSIM through Verizon, then put the EE PAYG SIM in the SIM tray and activated that. Now, as I said, the EE is dormant but ready for me to travel again. The EE PAYG SIM cannot be moved to eSIM, which is why Verizon is the eSIM. You do have to be careful about what can and cannot go in eSIM.

That makes sense to me. It's a shame that EE don't allow you to use an eSIM on pay as you go as it sounds like that would have been much easier for you. I'm glad you go it sorted out in the end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.