2 iMac's

Reaction score
Hey Guys

So just getting around ideas here.

Right now I am setup with my iMac (Mid 2010, 21.5 inch, Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Memory 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR, Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB)

I'm thinking of upgrading, my Mac works pretty reasonable right now, its just old enough that it can't support 4K video editing. (I have another thread about that)

SO If I upgrade I am thinking how best to use my second iMac. Right now my setup has just an old windows monitor as a second monitor attached and works quite nicely. Obviously my iMac is a lot more powerful than a simple monitor. Would it make sense to connect the 2 iMac's or is that sorta a waste of its power?

I think more specifically my questions are.

1. Can I connect the two?
2. If they can be connected could I still use the "power" of both computers. (Just as a hypothetical easy example, if both had a DVD burner, could I burn 2 DVD's at the same time?_
3. Does anyone else have other suggestions on how best to use "link" the 2? I'm just wondering if there are other options than selling it? Moving it elsewhere? Or trashing it.

Hopefully my line of questioning is making sense, other than the 4K editing the iMac works ok so I am hesitate just to just "move on" from it, just just considering all options.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can use your existing iMac as a secondary display using Target Display Mode and that will allow you to use it as a secondary display while also using that machine for other tasks. You can get in and out of target display mode using CMD+F2 as you do other things. So, yes, you could be burning two DVD's or doing other things..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.