2.4ghz...5.0ghz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
Back in the day when I had my 1st tall AirPort Extreme, I had 2with different names, one being a guest network. After it went belly up, I acquired a used one. there is no guest network created on it. I can't seem to find out which ghz II'm running. For all I know it may be running both. If possible, I'd like two networks with both able to run 2.4 and 5.0. I have a new security camera that requires 2.4.

Along with creating another network, I'd like to rename the current one also. I've found where that can be done, but will it have a conflict with current devices?

I'm sure I've probably mis-stated some thing here, fire away and I'll try to clarify...

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have the Airport Utility app installed? That will do all that you mentioned above.

Watch this YouTube video and also download the Airport Utility Guide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Let me take the second question first. If you rename your network, it won't "conflict" with current devices, but you will have to log each one into the "new" network to re-establish connection. To those devices the "old" network will have simply disappeared. Once you log them into the "new" network, all should be good.

As for what frequency you are currently using, you can run Network Diagnostics to get that report. Or as chscag says, just use the utility.

Finally, I don't think you can create two networks with both 2.4 and 5.0. I think you can separate 2.4 and 5.0 to be in two different networks, but then any devices that need to communicate in the same network will have to be on the same frequency. So, for example, if you have Sleeper2.4 as the name for one band and Sleeper5 for the other, devices on Sleeper2.4 will NOT be on the "same" network as Sleeper5 devices. I don't know what you want to do with the security camera(s) but if all you are trying to do is to get it connected, just connect it as your network is set up now and it will find the 2.4 connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That will do all that you mentioned above.
Can you make two networks? I retired my AirPort, but I don't remember being able to make two networks using both frequencies. You COULD separate them and have two, one for each, but not two with both.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You COULD separate them and have two, one for each, but not two with both.
That's what I assume he wants to do. I'm not familiar with how the Airport Utility works but I do know that two separate networks, one for 2.4 and the other for 5.0 can be set up.

My FIOS router actually allows for a guest network to be set up for each frequency. Not sure if the Airport Extreme does the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He said in the first post:
I'd like two networks with both able to run 2.4 and 5.0.
and I don't think that is possible. It might be, it's been a while since I retired the AirPort, but I do remember having 2.4 and 5 on separate networks and finding that devices on 2.4 couldn't see or talk to devices on 5.0, and vice-versa, so I abandoned that and put them together again in one net. I also had a Guest network with a simple password setup for when folks came to the house and wanted/needed Internet. But again, devices in the Guest net couldn't see or talk to devices in the other.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't quite understand what it was you were asking to do in your first post. I have to agree with Jake's response in that it is not possible to set up two networks on the AE both running 2.4 and 5.0.

You should be able to set up one network each for 2.4 and 5.0 including a guest option but not two for each. Anyway you should go over the Airport Utility Guide I included which will have more answers.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys. Like I said...it's been awhile. I'll look all of this over and see what's what. I'll get back to you and let you know how it turned out.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me take the second question first. If you rename your network, it won't "conflict" with current devices, but you will have to log each one into the "new" network to re-establish connection. To those devices the "old" network will have simply disappeared. Once you log them into the "new" network, all should be good.

As for what frequency you are currently using, you can run Network Diagnostics to get that report. Or as chscag says, just use the utility.

Finally, I don't think you can create two networks with both 2.4 and 5.0. I think you can separate 2.4 and 5.0 to be in two different networks, but then any devices that need to communicate in the same network will have to be on the same frequency. So, for example, if you have Sleeper2.4 as the name for one band and Sleeper5 for the other, devices on Sleeper2.4 will NOT be on the "same" network as Sleeper5 devices. I don't know what you want to do with the security camera(s) but if all you are trying to do is to get it connected, just connect it as your network is set up now and it will find the 2.4 connection.
Well...I d/l the AirPort app to my phone and hit shows both 2.4 and 5.0. It also shows both on the AP utility on my MacBook...maybe it does work with both on a single network. II think I'll try setting up a guest network and see what happens there...I'll be back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, as it is right now, the phone will select the strongest signal to connect with. If you are close to the AP, that most likely will be the 5.0 transmitter/receiver. If you are a ways away, or there are walls/furniture/whatever between you and the AP that attenuates the 5.0 signal, it will switch to the 2.4. Ditto for the Mac. And the same will be true on a Guest network, unless you restrict the Guest to just one set of frequencies.

5.0 has faster speed data rates, but more limited range. 2.4 has longer range, but slower data speeds.

Frankly, unless you have some extraordinary need, just set up ONE network and ONE Guest network and let the AP do what it does. Apple's defaults are really good.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, as it is right now, the phone will select the strongest signal to connect with. If you are close to the AP, that most likely will be the 5.0 transmitter/receiver. If you are a ways away, or there are walls/furniture/whatever between you and the AP that attenuates the 5.0 signal, it will switch to the 2.4. Ditto for the Mac. And the same will be true on a Guest network, unless you restrict the Guest to just one set of frequencies.

5.0 has faster speed data rates, but more limited range. 2.4 has longer range, but slower data speeds.

Frankly, unless you have some extraordinary need, just set up ONE network and ONE Guest network and let the AP do what it does. Apple's defaults are really good.
So if I'm reading you correctly...both freqs are available on one network..

Edit...I created a second network (guest) and entered a name but it doesn't work. When I get to the Wireless network page and enter the info for the guest network, there is a button at the bottom of the page that says Wireless Options. At the top of that page there is an unchecked box that says 5ghz Network Name with the name grayed out. If I click the box, the name is highlighted and says 5ghz behind it....What do you think...click the box or not?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if I'm reading you correctly...both freqs are available on one network..
When I get to the Wireless network page and enter the info for the guest network, there is a button at the bottom of the page that says Wireless Options. At the top of that page there is an unchecked box that says 5ghz Network Name with the name grayed out. If I click the box, the name is highlighted and says 5ghz behind it
Yes, the AP is a dual band network, capable on both sets of frequencies.

I cannot answer your question as I do not have an active AP anymore, sorry.

When I get to the Wireless network page and enter the info for the guest network, there is a button at the bottom of the page that says Wireless Options. At the top of that page there is an unchecked box that says 5ghz Network Name with the name grayed out. If I click the box, the name is highlighted and says 5ghz behind it
In what application? It's hard for us to respond to "the page" when we can't see it, so you have to be very specific about where you are and what you are doing.

I'm offline until tomorrow, maybe chscag can help a bit.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry...this was all in the AirPort Utility. I clicked the box and the guest network still doesn't work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have an AP anymore, nor the AP Utility. So, I can't help any more. Maybe someone with an AP will be along to help at this point. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sorry...this was all in the AirPort Utility. I clicked the box and the guest network still doesn't work.

Hopefully, maybe this suggestion may still work for your situation:
How to Separate (or Combine) 2.4GHz and 5GHz Bands with AirPort Utility

The Airport Extreme from Apple allows you to choose two ways to configure the bands:

With a single name for both bands allowing the devices to find the highest band on which they can work
With two distinct names so you can actively choose the band on which you want each device to function

Hopefully you will be able to tell the security camera to use the proper channel... 😇

- Patrick
=======

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully, maybe this suggestion may still work for your situation:
How to Separate (or Combine) 2.4GHz and 5GHz Bands with AirPort Utility

Hopefully you will be able to tell the security camera to use the proper channel... 😇

- Patrick
=======
Excellent. Hopefully the camera will cozy up to the 2.4ghz.

Thanks..II'll give an update when I can get to installing the camera.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well....no joy. I've followed the instructions to the letter, but the guest network just doesn't seem to want to work. Obviously I'm missing something. My nephew, (Steve Jobs 2.0) is going to come over for a little hands on help. I'll let you know what we came up with.

Thanks for all of the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Obviously I'm missing something. My nephew, (Steve Jobs 2.0) is going to come over for a little hands on help. I'll let you know what we came up with.

Good luck, but not forgetting that it was the Woz who was the one who could actually get things working and Steve Jobs only had ideas of what he wanted that might work. 😇

There used to be an excellent knowledgeable Apple networking website that really was good and helpful if you could find it with a google search if it's still running these days.

I'm sorry it is long gone from my bookmarks...

- Patrick
=======

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... to sure what happened, but it's online and functioning as designed. After trying the 1st 2 methods, I tried the AP mode... I have no idea what that is...but it worked. We were out of town for a few days and I had access to the camera thru my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... to sure what happened, but it's online and functioning as designed. After trying the 1st 2 methods, I tried the AP mode...
I'm not sure what you actually did, but it's nice to hear that you finally have things working the way you want.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.