2.16ghz / 2.33ghz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Trust me, 2 GB will be PLENTY to get you started. If, down the road, you find a need for the extra GB, you can always buy a 2 GB stick from NewEgg.

Agreed. You'll be very happy with 2 GB of RAM. I have a 20' iMac, 2.16 Ghz, with 2 GB of RAM, and the thing flies. I couldn't be happier. :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
You sure? I get plenty of hangups with 1gb in OS X. Mainly with adobe programs, but occasionally with others as well.

I have 1GB of RAM and that works fine for me. Although, I don't do much. I only really surf the net, type documents and listen to music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
1GB is not enough anymore if you use your mac of work. As time goes on programs demand more. Especially all this trendy gradient filled gui junk =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Macs are essentially PCs now with the switch to Intel chips. Programs access RAM the same across both platforms, so it's essentially the same.

I would tend to agree with you in most cases, but I feel I need to flag this as partially inaccurate. My understanding of how anything with a UNIX core (ala Mac OS X or Linux) accesses memory is VERY different than a Wintel machine. Unix core machines "lock down" the memory allocated to each application, so the machine will not let you open many more programs than the available memory allows (though I've seen more and more page file usage in Macs nowadays). Windows, on the other hand, will just keep on shoving open programs into a paging file (virtual RAM) until the cows come home...which is often why you notice a Windows machine crawling to a hault when you have a lot of things open.

1GB is the sweet spot for both OS X and Windows XP. Vista, on the other hand, needs 2GB to run smoothly. So I guess you could say OS X needs less RAM than Vista :p

I would definitely suggest getting the faster processor and the least amount of RAM as possible. Then you should take a look at a third party vendor such as Newegg for your RAM upgrade. You will save a TON of money this way.

I'll still agree with you here. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You sure? I get plenty of hangups with 1gb in OS X. Mainly with adobe programs, but occasionally with others as well.

1GB is good for your average user. Once you start using programs that hog up memory, you'll need to bump up to at least 2GB for a smoother experience.

Oh, and the iMac can only support 3GB of RAM, so pairing will only work for up to 2GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Differences in clock frequencies will affect your computing speeds, but it depends on the difference. But... it is not a good measure of performance, because a computer does many instructions per cycle, and those instructions can vary.

In your case, it won't matter as much. You won't be able to notice the difference.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
So.

2 x 1GB ram?

or 2GB + 1GB Ram?

confusing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.