100 Foot Cable from Router to Desktop ... ???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What are the advantages with the DIR-655, compared with the DIR-825, or other routers ... ???

I pretty much agree with Kash, I'm another well satisfied user of the 655. It's been a rock solid router, probably the best I've owned over the last 12 yrs or so. And about $50-$60 less than when I bought it. Although, my first gen TC is still going strong also (knock on wood since it's about a year past the time where all the pundits say it should have died).

If I was looking today, I might consider that 825. Dual band, plus I'm doing the things it's designed for... e.g. streaming HD content from a central server to several devices around the house and have several g devices along with several n devices spread out across the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A new router definately sounds in order and maybe consider/try ethernet over power adapters

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
A new router definately sounds in order and maybe consider/try ethernet over power adapters

What do you mean by, "ethernet over power adapters?"

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Bite the bullet and get an Airport Extreme Base Station! You'll be glad you did, especially if you get the Windows people on your network to install the correct software for printer and Airport Disk sharing. I'm still customizing my setup, and am having so much fun. :) This is how I entertain myself, haha.

Anyway, yea. A lot of people really like their D-Link stuff, but you have to order it online now from Best Buy. The stores stopped carrying it for whatever reason. Guess they weren't selling enough units, probably because D-link routers were actually pretty reliable. Now people are in for new routers almost every 3 weeks it seems. It's ridiculous. That's why I bit the bullet and got the AEBS. Dual band N router, network attached print server and storage... Rated for up to 50 devices... The apple guarantee of excellence... I like it.

I really would like to have the Airport Extreme Base Station, but we need a router that will work with the older operating systems.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What older OS's are you talking about? The only issue I can see with the AE is that instead of using a web browser to set it up you have to use a utility in the OS. Otherwise a router is a router when it comes to an OS. I have Mac OS 8.6 on one machine hooked up to my new router as well as Windows 95.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
What older OS's are you talking about? The only issue I can see with the AE is that instead of using a web browser to set it up you have to use a utility in the OS. Otherwise a router is a router when it comes to an OS. I have Mac OS 8.6 on one machine hooked up to my new router as well as Windows 95.

I was reading the specs for the Apple Extreme router, which requires Leopard. I want to be able to use Tiger to set up the router as well as Leopard. We have several older Macs, and older Windows machines as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What do you mean by, "ethernet over power adapters?"

Often called HomePlug or Powerline adaptors

PowerLine Wall-Plugged HD Ethernet Adapter - HDX101

HomePlug Powerline Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You buy a pair (or more) plug one into the mains near your router and connect by cable, connect the other to the mains near your mac and connect it by cable. The network signal it sent over your ring main.

Doesn't work for everyone (depends on wiring, etc) but they can be an excellent and robust alternative to running cables around your home

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.