• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

10.5.3 Released!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Just noticed some flakey behavior. I was typing a phrase into Spotlight and it was almost like my P key got stuck for a full ten seconds. I've never had that happen before.

Doesn't happen on my MBP, maybe you your "P" key got stuck?

I've had it happen a few times within the last few months. I'll hit a key (it's not always the same one), and nothing will happen, so I'll hit it again and then it'll slowly print it 10/15 times and then all goes back to normal.

I've had it happen in Spotlight and Safari.

Not sure what it is, but it's rare and hardly a big issue so I'm not too fussed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just for the record, I updated my Intel Mini. All went great except when I tried to shut down, it sat at the one screen with the spinning wheel for ages so I just held down Power. Powered back up and all was fine and it shut down just fine. Someone on another forums had the same issue except on a Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Fine did a second restart. It took forever to load once it got past the Apple logo. Took maybe a minute instead of 20 seconds.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Fine did a second restart. It took forever to load once it got past the Apple logo. Took maybe a minute instead of 20 seconds.

That is all very normal especially with an update of this size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is all very normal especially with an update of this size.

I am not complaining. Sometimes it's good to come back to reality and feel what it's like to use a computer like the rest of you. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
wow harsh bry! we all cant afford spiffy mac pros.....yet ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
I had zero issues prior, and have yet to see any improvement w/ 5.3.

Then again, I am slumming on a MBP. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
what additional configuration options do you want?
I'd like to be able to backup to an NFS volume, for one...

Doing the update now... or rather downloading it. It'll still IML faster than a mainframe :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33ghz C2D 4gb Ram
just got done installing the update. so far everything is slower than usual. hopefully it speeds up soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
RAW compatibility for more cameras.
Just found out that one but not much more than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just got done installing the update. so far everything is slower than usual. hopefully it speeds up soon.

Do a restart of your own in a little bit. It should run fine again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Launched setup assistant again, other than that.. yeah two boots, must be a firmware load.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
THis update nearly gave me a heart attack. On on of my MBP's I have bootcamp and the default boot is Leopard, but when it restarted after the update it booted into Vista, so I let it boot into, then I shut it off, turn it back on and hold down the option key, select Leopard, and it still boots into Vista, do it twice more, and same thing.
Just as I'm getting frustrated enough to throw my MBP out the window, I try it one more time, and wa-la it boots into Leopard, weird... But now it's working just fine..

Reaction score
I updated - all appears fine. I find after any major update I do it runs slower for a little while. Then after re-booting it goes along just fine. Thanks for the heads-up - did not know it was out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I don't suppose the file renaming bug in Finder list view has been fixed at 10.5.3?

Can't see it obviously on the fix list but can't try the update til I get back from work :(

Reaction score
10.5.3...updates for Spaces

Im surprised that Apple provides extensive details of this update in comparison to the details provided (none) for my last firmware update for my iMAC.

From the update list the one I was REALLY looking for are the Spaces updates :

-Resolves an issue in which switching to a different space and returning back to the original space may reorder the application windows with a different active window. NEVER HAPPENED TO ME
Resolves an issue in which activating an application from the Dock switches to a different space, even if there is a window for that application in the current space. HAPPENED ALL THE TIME !
Fixes an issue in which Command-Tab may incorrectly switch to a new space. HAPPENED A LOT !
Addresses reliability issues with Spaces when syncing preferences over .Mac. I DON'T USE .MAC

Has a recent switcher, and a loooong time BSD user and fanatic, I was used to VWM embedded in all the gui's out there. I really dont see how Mac users ( that are doing multitasking) have been living without Spaces !

Will let you know if this update fixes my issues.

jah

Reaction score
kinda different:
i started the download about 3am, went back to bed. woke up, and the download completed, i did a few screen things and had to ignor it for about an hour, the process halted, only activity was a circle of spinning dots. it stayted there for some time before i had to goto work, cycled power on the macbook pro. finally holding the power button down a few seconds but it came to life.

seems about the same as 10.5.2
-didnt seem to do a firmware update
-my TimeMachine setup (the un authorized kludge to access a windows network drive) still working O:)
-AirPort & bluetooth still pointing to the same devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.