- USB video conferencing cameras for use with iChat
- Bluetooth devices
- Browsing AFP servers
- Apple USB Modem
- Windows-created digital certificates
- Open and Print dialogs in applications that use Rosetta on Intel-based Macs
- Time zone and daylight saving for 2006 and 2007
- Security updates

iPhoto is also updated to 6.06 I believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Nope, no idea. The install went fine, it said I had to reboot which I did. Now all I get is the Apple logo and the spin circle an that's it. After about 2-3 minutes my fan kicks in to the point it sounds like a jet engine so I wait and wait and finally I hold the power button down and just turn the MBP off.

Hmm, this is unfortunate. I've heard of this happening to others today on other boards.

I, on the other hand, was able to install the upgrade with no problems on my Macbook. I'll probably do it to our G4 Mini tomorrow, and if there are any problems I'll definitely post, but otherwise this was a pretty smooth upgrade. My Cleardock is still working on my Macbook, as well.

You don't have any USB devices connected when you start up do you?

OP
Kash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It would seem that nobody has posted it because you're looking in the wrong forum category ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
si senor

sorry guys.

thanks for the rep, but it should all go to Kash

thanks for the merge DB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Nope, no idea. The install went fine, it said I had to reboot which I did. Now all I get is the Apple logo and the spin circle an that's it. After about 2-3 minutes my fan kicks in to the point it sounds like a jet engine so I wait and wait and finally I hold the power button down and just turn the MBP off.

Leave it running. It takes about 5 or 6 minutes to sort itself out - you're just turning it off before it finishes!

By the way, the best thing about this release is that the print dialogue boxes now appear pretty much straight away in Rosetta apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Leave it running. It takes about 5 or 6 minutes to sort itself out - you're just turning it off before it finishes!

By the way, the best thing about this release is that the print dialogue boxes now appear pretty much straight away in Rosetta apps.

I left it running for 1/2 hour and nothing so that is not it. Here is the good news. The IT guy where I work has done much data recovery for the State Police so he is making a mirrored image of my entire HD and can pull data from that. The software that our IT guy is using showed immediately that the boot sector was corrupted so that is why it won't boot up.

I also called Apple Tech support to explain what happened and they said to do a custom install of just OS-X and it will not touch the data. He further said that it is best to get the data, files, etc... off of the HD then do a fresh install of the OS. So far I was the only one that this happened to but the are going to red flag this tech call in case there are others. Let this be another warning to all, back-up your data. My last back-up was a week ago, so from that stand point I'm in pretty good shape except for quite a few important emails, which our IT guy said he should be able to recover.

Reaction score
That's progress. Again sorry that happened to you.

Talk about "it's always something"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
My Install has gone without a hitch on my iMac Intel.I did a repair permissions first and removed my iPod.. So far nothing to report

Reaction score
I installed this update and it WIPED out my MacBook Pro, I mean Wiped, my MBP will not even boot up.

Yikes! Dillinger, that sucks.

The only negative I've experienced is that all of my widgets went away. I had to re-insert them on the dashboard and reset everything to the correct time, location, etc.

But my data is still here and my MBP boots up, thank goodness. Hope you get it resolved, Dillinger!

Reaction score
Hang After Update

I've got the same issue as Dillinger on my MacBook. Ran update, left it alone for a while to d/l and install, came back sometime later with a message saying one of the updates didn't install, clicked ok and it went about restarting, but never did, it just hung on my wallpaper with no finder/icons/menu bar. I waited for at least 5 minutes if not more, then hit the power button, turned it back on and it just hung on the gray Apple screen with the swirling circle.

I left it alone like that for 15 or 20 minutes before trying to power down and up again, still same hang. Popped in OS X disk 1 and ran Disk Repair, it repaired something (volume header I think, I've been at this all day now and my head's gone a bit buggy). Restart and same hang still.

Disk Repair notes that OS X is version 10.4.9, so it looks like that update was installed. Trying Repair again now says nothing to repair.

Checked Apple support docs online and tried the Safe Mode boot, gave it another 10 or 15 minutes on the Apple screen (it said could take 2 or 3 minutes to boot in Safe Mode) still nothing.

Now I've managed to get my hands on an external drive and am in Disk Utility making an image of my Mac HDD in the hopes that I'll be able to go through it and pull out files in case the drive itself needs reformatting/reinstalling of OS X. Maybe you can't do that with a disk image, I don't know, but I'm willing to try anything at this stage. May try Dillinger's discovery of being able to install OS X over again without affecting files, though the thought does make me a bit nervous.

Regarding backing up, lesson learned! I've got lots of stuff backed up to DVD-Rs but there's still a lot of recent files and documents that are hanging in the balance on the HDD. Time Machine, you're late! How ironic.

Will be calling Apple once my image is done (its taking a while, 53+GB of data) and seeing if my 90 days are worth anything in getting this fixed. I'll be sharing any findings here with you guys; hopefully if I get this fixed the same thing will work for the rest of you in the same boat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I've got the same issue as Dillinger on my MacBook. Ran update, left it alone for a while to d/l and install, came back sometime later with a message saying one of the updates didn't install, clicked ok and it went about restarting, but never did, it just hung on my wallpaper with no finder/icons/menu bar. I waited for at least 5 minutes if not more, then hit the power button, turned it back on and it just hung on the gray Apple screen with the swirling circle.

I left it alone like that for 15 or 20 minutes before trying to power down and up again, still same hang. Popped in OS X disk 1 and ran Disk Repair, it repaired something (volume header I think, I've been at this all day now and my head's gone a bit buggy). Restart and same hang still.

Disk Repair notes that OS X is version 10.4.9, so it looks like that update was installed. Trying Repair again now says nothing to repair.

Checked Apple support docs online and tried the Safe Mode boot, gave it another 10 or 15 minutes on the Apple screen (it said could take 2 or 3 minutes to boot in Safe Mode) still nothing.

Now I've managed to get my hands on an external drive and am in Disk Utility making an image of my Mac HDD in the hopes that I'll be able to go through it and pull out files in case the drive itself needs reformatting/reinstalling of OS X. Maybe you can't do that with a disk image, I don't know, but I'm willing to try anything at this stage. May try Dillinger's discovery of being able to install OS X over again without affecting files, though the thought does make me a bit nervous.

Regarding backing up, lesson learned! I've got lots of stuff backed up to DVD-Rs but there's still a lot of recent files and documents that are hanging in the balance on the HDD. Time Machine, you're late! How ironic.

Will be calling Apple once my image is done (its taking a while, 53+GB of data) and seeing if my 90 days are worth anything in getting this fixed. I'll be sharing any findings here with you guys; hopefully if I get this fixed the same thing will work for the rest of you in the same boat.

When you call Apple Care I would let them know that this has happened to someone else. Do you have the Intel Core Duo 2? (That is what I have) For those of you who have not had any install issues which Intel chip/speed do you have?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I installed the 10.4.9 update on the following machines:

Mac Mini G4 1.25Ghz
Mac Mini Core Duo Intel
iMac G5 2.1Ghz iSight
Power Mac DA 1.8Ghz G4

Everything went well. No problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I installed the 10.4.9 update on the following machines:

iMac G5 2.1Ghz iSight

Everything went well. No problems.

Thats good new, means I shouldnt have any problems with mine.

Reaction score
My MBP is a C2D 2.33, as I said the only issue was that my widgets all went away and had to be replaced and reset one by one.

Reaction score
Dillinger,

Yes, I'm a C2Duo MacBook. I've not called Apple yet, my disk image just finished, and for kicks I've tried to boot from it but still no love. Anyone know if I'll be able to use this on another Mac, or a fresh install of mine, to pull out all my important files, etc?

Has anyone tried reinstalling OS X and seeing if it leaves all their files and apps in place?

Reaction score
Ok, I'm in the installer. It won't let me install to the external drive, unfortunately, because it says OS X can't start from this volume. Its formatted for Macs, so I guess that means OS X just doesn't boot from externals. Bummer.

With my MB's HDD selected it says the following:

"You have selected to move the files in the System folder on this volume to a folder named "Previous System" and save existing settings and user accounts. After installing a new version of Mac OS X, your existing settings and user accounts will be restored."

Hmmm, that sounds about alright, though a little too vague or un-mentioning about what will happen to all my other files and apps. It says the install requires 15.5GB and fortunately with some recent spring cleaning I've got 20.7GB free.

My finger's on the button. Someone please either stop me or tell me its all gonna be alright!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.