10.4.8 Can't Modify ScreenSaver???

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz, 4GB, 320GB
Actually, I was looking throught the folder "Machintosh HD -> System -> Library -> Preference Panes" and I clicked "get info" for the Desktop and screensaver pane and it said that it was a PowerPC version. All other panes in that folder are Universal. So, I guess I just need to get a Universal version of the Desktop and Screensaver pane to work? Is this the problem? What do you think??? :confused:

M

MacHeadCase

Well if the System Preferences came installed with your Mac, I don't see why you have to change it, otherwise all other Intel-based Mac owners would have the same problem as you do.

If you tampered with the install well that is an entire different story. I'm not saying you did, but I find it strange you say you might be better off "finding" a Universal Binary version. Did you install screen savers from somewhere that weren't for Universal Binary and that would have messed up your Desktop Pictures and Screen Savers pane in the System Preferences?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got this Mac about a week ago, I haven't installed anything except MS Office 2004, smcFan Control, limewire, and a HP Printer. It had this problem since the day I opened the box. I haven't messed around with any of the filesystem, just was exploring. I'm new to a mac, this is my first. Previously, I've owned only Windows based computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
This may help. I have a G4 Sawtooth.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

M

MacHeadCase

I got this Mac about a week ago, I haven't installed anything except MS Office 2004, smcFan Control, limewire, and a HP Printer. It had this problem since the day I opened the box. I haven't messed around with any of the filesystem, just was exploring. I'm new to a mac, this is my first. Previously, I've owned only Windows based computers.

Ok so you do own and use in this case a MacBook Pro am I correct?

M

MacHeadCase

Ok. Try this: create a new user account in your System Preferences and see if this problem occurs in there too.

If it doesn't, it's a problem that is contained in your present user profile. If it happens in the new account the problem is system-wide.

Either way, it could have something to do with something you have installed and that it messed up something in the system.

Report back on what happens next, please.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Try this: create a new user account in your System Preferences and see if this problem occurs in there too.

If it doesn't, it's a problem that is contained in your present user profile. If it happens in the new account the problem is system-wide.

Either way, it could have something to do with something you have installed and that it messed up something in the system.

Report back on what happens next, please.

Ok, well created new user accounts. Problem still exists in them too. Its not a big deal really, I can still use iPhoto to change my desktop picture, I just can't change my screen saver, which I don't even use that much

Reaction score
I just navigated to Macintosh HD>System>Library>PreferencePanes

Then I right/ctrl-clicked on the DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane and selected 'Show Package Contents' and then navigated to Contents>MacOs and did a Get Info on DesktopScreenEffectsPref and it is a Universal Unix Executable File.

Then I went to Resources Folder and did a Get Info on the DesktopPictures.prefPan and the ScreenEffects.prefPane.

Both were Universal Mac OS X Preference Panes.

So there really shouldn't be a PowerPC version installed on your MacBook Pro and this would account for the error about contacting the developer for a newer version of the software.

Seeing as how your MacBook is so new, I would take it back, explain to them about the problem and the error notice and ask them to fix it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'll give that a shot. I'll report back as soon as I can. Thanks for all of your help!!!

M

MacHeadCase

If that is the solution, two things:

1. Pulse is awesome with the help around here (well, I knew that before anyway, but just thought I'd let you guys know about it!)

2. How did that PowerPC version get installed on your Mac? :eek:

Did you buy this computer new or refurbished?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that is the solution, two things:

1. Pulse is awesome with the help around here (well, I knew that before anyway, but just thought I'd let you guys know about it!)

2. How did that PowerPC version get installed on your Mac? :eek:

Did you buy this computer new or refurbished?

Bought it new from apple.com, I have no idea where the PowerPC version came from. But, I'm bringing it to an apple store and seeing what they have to say about it. I'll keep you updated.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please do. This is very weird, Ken.

Ok, well went to the apple store today after school, this is their explaination: "The specific preference pane file was corrupted and showed up as PowerPC version, however it wasn't. Then, the system automatically created a duplicate and an ailias of the file when I ran the Disk Utility the first time. However, when I ran the Disk Utility a second time it deleted the duplicated (corrupt) file and the original file (which is why the whole preference pane was missing one time) and not the ailiased file, which the system used as the primary file, but the original was missing, which showed up with the error message." To fix it, they completely deleted the system preferences application and ran the disk utility again. Then, it reinstalled itself. Now, it works the correct way! :cool:

M

MacHeadCase

Cool! Glad this is solved!

And thanks for reporting back on the solution. You never know when someone else might run into this problem too.
icon14.gif

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool! Glad this is solved!

And thanks for reporting back on the solution. You never know when someone else might run into this problem too.
icon14.gif

Sure thing, I'm glad the support from the community is so strong here. This is really a great site!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.