• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

If given a chance, whom would you vote for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Josiah Bartlett/Martin Sheen for President!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
So, whether you agree with him or not, it's not like he's taking a stance on either issue. With that said, I believe that you have to make some compromises when choosing a candidate to back - you'll never find one that perfectly matches your sensibilities (JMO).

Very true. From what I read yesterday and from what you say, he's far more conservative than I am. Although, I'd love for the war to be over very soon and it'd be nicer to have a smaller government, the rest of what he stands for doesn't match what I stand for.
I'm with you cwa. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Right, because total and complete apathy is definitely going to fix that.

You're right, voting for the lesser of two evils will fix it.

If anything, your suggested course of action is apathetic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
It's actually not a cop-out, it's a throwback to the ideals of the Founding Fathers. They wanted the majority of things that affected our lives on a regular basis to be decided by the states. This huge central government was exactly the type of government they were trying to avoid when they instituted a federal system.

I personally like the idea of having the states decide issues like abortion and drug policy. That way, you can not only more easily sway your local politicians, but you can also have the option of moving to a state whose laws are in line with your ideals. It also gets rid of the stupid abortion debate that the left and right are constantly fighting about. And the best part is that you don't have some right-wing fanatic or some left-wing hippy imposing his/her moral code on the entire country.

Tharmsen, if you're so fed up with the two party system, then why don't you go and do something about it instead of just whining about how the system is so corrupt? It's easy to complain when looking from the outside. If it's really that big of an issue, then get involved, get into the system, for change is best achieved from within.

Yes, yes, and yes. I would add more, but that really hits the nail on the head my friend.

Dissatisfaction with the corrupt two-party system is one more reason to vote for Ron Paul.

Reaction score
I personally like the idea of having the states decide issues like abortion and drug policy. That way, you can not only more easily sway your local politicians, but you can also have the option of moving to a state whose laws are in line with your ideals. It also gets rid of the stupid abortion debate that the left and right are constantly fighting about. And the best part is that you don't have some right-wing fanatic or some left-wing hippy imposing his/her moral code on the entire country.
I completely agree. The minute the North won the Civil War, states rights were forever lost. The usurpation of rights began almost immediately and has continued ever since.

Tharmsen, if you're so fed up with the two party system, then why don't you go and do something about it instead of just whining about how the system is so corrupt? It's easy to complain when looking from the outside. If it's really that big of an issue, then get involved, get into the system, for change is best achieved from within.
That's pretty pretentious of you to pretend you know anything about me or how politically active I may or may not be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, are you or are you not politically active? Call me whatever you want, but you can't blame me for assuming you to be just like everybody else who complains about the system and yet does nothing about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Josiah Bartlett/Martin Sheen for President!! :D

If dreams could come true. Bartlett for America!!!

And I'm a fan of the Federalist system so I wouldn't vote for Ron Paul. Obama for me.

Reaction score
Well, are you or are you not politically active? Call me whatever you want, but you can't blame me for assuming you to be just like everybody else who complains about the system and yet does nothing about it.

Actually, I can blame you for what you say and do. Who else should I blame?

If anyone is "whining" it's you - about me. Just because you may not agree with my point(s) doesn't mean everything I have to say is "whining". I challenge you to point to a single comment I've posted and show me what constitutes a "whine" in your view.

Yes, I am politically active.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I am politically active.

Well I apologize for assuming that you were not politically active. You'll agree when I say that the majority of people who complain about politics don't actually do anything about it, so you'll begrudge me for having made the same assumption about you.

Reaction score
Well I apologize for assuming that you were not politically active. You'll agree when I say that the majority of people who complain about politics don't actually do anything about it, so you'll begrudge me for having made the same assumption about you.

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I'm not the only one protesting this way either, I talk to people every day that are sick of the two party system and sick of the DNC and GOP strong arming everyone... then giving us crumby candidates.
THAT is the best thing I've heard in this primary/caucus season! What can the "common citizen" do to change the two party system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
i, personally, would like to see morgan freeman as president. did anyone see deep impact? i mean, come on. he was a great president in that movie :D

i dont know enough about the candidates to choose. i guess i should learn before the election...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
^^ Thereby ensuring I have no say who ends up on the ballot. How would that make a difference? (Not arguing. Curious.)

Reaction score
^^ Thereby ensuring I have no say who ends up on the ballot. How would that make a difference? (Not arguing. Curious.)

In Indiana, independents can still vote in primary elections, but not that it means much considering the presidential primaries are held in May here.

edit: It won't really make any huge difference in the short run but it would be a small step towards getting the wheels of change moving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I'm not the only one protesting this way either, I talk to people every day that are sick of the two party system and sick of the DNC and GOP strong arming everyone... then giving us crumby candidates.

I am a huge advocate of the two party system. I think people misunderstand it more than anything else.

And the candidates are voted on in the primaries. The DNC and RNC do not pick them for us. People are welcome to vote in whomever they please.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.