• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Next MacBook Pro update rumored to include multi-touch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Justin Berka | Ars Technica said:
Now that the MacBook Air has been released, we've got one less product to speculate about. But with Apple, there's always another product in the pipeline. Right now, that product is the MacBook Pro, which hasn't received an update in a while. Such an update could include any number of things, including the multi-touch trackpad from the MacBook Air. In fact, AppleInsider is reporting that it will be included in the next revision of the MacBook Pro.

Apple usually disseminates technology from one product over time, so it makes sense that the MacBook Pro would receive the same features as the Air. According to the rumors, multi-touch will be gradually added to all of Apple's notebooks, so the MacBook should get the nifty new gestures eventually too. As expected, the MacBook Pro will also be getting an upgrade to Intel's shiny new Penryn processors, which should offer better performance and slightly better battery life (thanks to lower power consumption).

The MacBook Pro update was originally expected to occur during Macworld, but was allegedly pushed back by a few weeks so the MacBook Air would be ready in time for the conference. That means that the MacBook Pro is probably ready to go, so we might see it appear in a few weeks' time. The new processors and multi-touch trackpad should make for a nice update to the line, so get your wallets ready if you've been waiting for the new model.

Great news because I was going to buy a MBP this week, but I'll wait a few more weeks now.

Ars Technica

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature...
WOW, cant wait to see the new MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
great find! i would def wait for that feature too

Reaction score
awesome! I want to have this "multi-touch" macbook pro in time for college this september!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
I know I'mm wishing, but it would be nice for a firmware update to the current MBP's to recognize the gestures...

It is possible I would assume since the touch pad can already recognize multiple fingers...

Reaction score
well isnt there software that allows for two finger scrolling on the older G4's?? seems like it would be the same sort of thing, just a matter of time one would think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2Ghz
multi-touch would be a great addition, but all I really want is a MBP update that includes new processors and higher baseline standards.

Reaction score
I dont understand why a multi touch trackpad wouldnt just be a firmware update.... its just like two finger scrolling.

Reaction score
I still want "two finger tap" control click on my Powerbook. I highly doubt the multi-touch will be added to anything previous-gen.

Older ibooks will have a better chance of some sort of 3rd party alternative then anyone with the newer USB based track-pad drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26GHz 13.3" Macbook Pro
I can't wait to see the new MBP. I'd def. like to buy one by this coming fall. Possibly sooner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
it would be pretty cool. Although not a feature i would demand. Would be tempting to have a go with one though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz C2D (Black), 4GB RAM, 320GB Disk, MAC OSX 10.6.1, AC, 80Gig Classic, iPhone 16G 3G
To be honest the device is due a change. Given the look of the keyboard on the Macbook Air, I would expect that to appear on the MBP as well (with backlight). It makes great sense as the chicklet keyboard appears to be the standard now.

Other than that a speed boost and general clean up, hopefully a 7200 spin disk as standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 blackbook /w tiger.
does anyone know when its gonna come out? mabee a guess when? a few weeks? a few months?

i ask because im planning to buy a MBP really really soon......and if its a few weeks or months, then ill be fine.....but if its not untill the end of the year then forget it!

i most am willing to
wait for the new processor upgrade a mabee a 7200spin standard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 80GB 2GHz 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, iPhone 4GB, iPod Classic 80GB
a lot of the rumor sites are saying end of february. i hope they're correct. ill wait it out, whatever it is...i have a macbook but im ready for the pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz
I just ordered my Macbook Pro last week and I'm not really too worried about the new update (I really needed a new macbook). As far as i can tell the prossesor speed increase is negligible and I'm alright with not having multi-touch. The only thing that kinda worries me is if they were to upgrade the GPU to the 8800M GT. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Dream Machine....
Can't wait for the upgrade to the mbp thanks for the info

Reaction score
To be honest the device is due a change. Given the look of the keyboard on the Macbook Air, I would expect that to appear on the MBP as well (with backlight). It makes great sense as the chicklet keyboard appears to be the standard now.

Other than that a speed boost and general clean up, hopefully a 7200 spin disk as standard.
I doubt the Macbook air keyboard will go on the Macbook pro... (I certaintly hope they won't, b/c frankly it's ugly). The Macbook pro would then look like the first generation powerbooks, and I think apple is forward thinking

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.