FRUSTATED with iphone ringtones! :Angry: :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook 2 GHz Intel Core Duo. 2G RAM
OMG...
Apple is just being ridiculous with its ringtones scheme.
Somebody please explain me a valid reason why Apple making it so hard?

If I have to buy to get the ringtoness, that is totally acceptable for me.
But, how many songs can be created to ringtone from itunes? Only less than 10% of itunes' musics can be use for iphone's ringtone. Even worse, there are tons of songs are not even available to be bought from itunes.

Do they have some specific license to not allow certain songs to be converted to ringtone?
Paying freaking $2 for the iphone's ringtone is acceptable, what not is to not have the option to get the ringtone you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is why I make my own ringtones. Apple's "solution" is rather annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
If I have to buy to get the ringtoness, that is totally acceptable for me.

Their hands are almost certainly tied by the record companies, who are only interested in making money - they don't care whether you find it acceptable or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Their hands are almost certainly tied by the record companies, who are only interested in making money - they don't care whether you find it acceptable or not.

That may be true, but if it is it's only because they are being greedy. In the US, ringtones are a specific exception under the DMCA, so they really shouldn't cost anything extra once you buy the song.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That may be true, but if it is it's only because they are being greedy. In the US, ringtones are a specific exception under the DMCA, so they really shouldn't cost anything extra once you buy the song.

Unless Apple are charging for the service of supplying the ringtone - i.e. the trimming and fading of it according to your specifications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless Apple are charging for the service of supplying the ringtone - i.e. the trimming and fading of it according to your specifications.

Good point, but at $.99, it seems a bit steep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It must be tied to the record labels somehow. Otherwise, why would they limit the profit they could make on the ringtones?

Personally, I would never pay again for a song I already purchased. That is the height of consumer insanity and I think anyone who does so must not have 2 brain cells to rub together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I was with T-Mobile before I got the iPhone and actual song ringtones were $1.99. With iTunes, you at least get to pick the part of the song you want to use. It's steep but not higher than I am used to paying. But I've only bought like 3 ringtones in the past few years so I guess it doesn't matter either way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
It must be tied to the record labels somehow. Otherwise, why would they limit the profit they could make on the ringtones?

Personally, I would never pay again for a song I already purchased. That is the height of consumer insanity and I think anyone who does so must not have 2 brain cells to rub together.
I think you're being way too dramatic. Some people just don't care enough about nickel & dime crap like this to put up a stink. Doesn't mean they're stupid.

Reaction score
Record companies fleece everyone, because they're fat and greedy people; why would they make an exception here?.

A tiny percentage goes to the artist, with the rest going to the fat cat morons who pay dodgy and immoral companies £100,000 etc to chase up and prosecute INDIVIDUALS who may or may not, have downloaded the odd warez'd album or two, in some sickening show of faux morality, so that they *APPEAR* to be protecting the artists...

Makes me ill - Apple are the only Corporation I trust, and that is from all good experience with them, over time. Greed will come back to bite these imbeciles on the bum, because that is how life works, in the long LONG run.

This comment is not supportive of copyright theft, but please - don't for ONE SECOND, assume that SONY/BMG/The RIAA etc, are doing what they do for the artists alone - RUBBISH - they're just confused hypocrites, out to make the big (false) moral impression, and treat people who download pirate music, as if they commited a murder (the sentences are worse - work THAT out!!).

They prosecute because THEY are scared that THEIR profits will suffer, not the royalties passed down to the artists; I don't imagine that EVER enters the equation, or their minds. Any methods, be they crooked or otherwise, are feasible when immoral and greedy nasty people become involved. A "legal mafioso" of sorts.

Moral pollution.

Anyhow, I personally think MP3 ringtones are a ghastly, annoying way of getting your attention. Surely if the calls you receive are important, then you will want to be concentrating on answering them, not putting them off, whilst you show off how hip your iTunes library is, to complete strangers on your tube/bus etc.

If I had a mobile (I hate the things) I'd want it to ring like a phone, not sound like I'd accidentally pushed PLAY on my iPod. Exhibitionism at it's most pointless - and you inflict your PERSONAL choice of music, on people who just want some peace and quiet, possibly...

I often hear these awful, tinny MP3 ringtones, and ya KNOW the score; the guy or girl lets his or her phone ring AS LONG AS IS POSSIBLE TO ATTRACT ATTENTION FROM THOSE AROUND THEM. Please - where is all this going?. When did we start caring SO SO much, about ringtones?. Life used to be simple, but now we're all overly spoiled with too many ridiculous and unnecessary "options".

Rant endeth.

Oh and PS: Yes, I am in a bad mood! :D sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was with T-Mobile before I got the iPhone and actual song ringtones were $1.99. With iTunes, you at least get to pick the part of the song you want to use. It's steep but not higher than I am used to paying. But I've only bought like 3 ringtones in the past few years so I guess it doesn't matter either way.

That is true, but there is a difference between provider's ringtones and iTunes, and that is the ringtone you get from T-Mobile is for a song you may not already own. With iTunes, on the other handk you MUST own the song before you can buy it again for the ringtone. That is the fundamental problem with this arrangement. IF Apple would allow users to buy a ringtone without owning the song, it would be a little more legitimate.

I think you're being way too dramatic. Some people just don't care enough about nickel & dime crap like this to put up a stink. Doesn't mean they're stupid.

It's not the price that is the issue, it's the principle of paying twice for the same product: a song. If it was a penny, I would feel the same way. How about BMW makes a car you can drive to work, but you have to pay for it again if you want to drive it to the market? Is that fair?

A tiny percentage goes to the artist, with the rest going to the fat cat morons who pay dodgy and immoral companies £100,000 etc to chase up and prosecute INDIVIDUALS who may or may not, have downloaded the odd warez'd album or two

Warez downloaders is another perspective. It's true that some songs people want to make ringtones into could be songs they initially got by illegal means, which would be an argument to back this extra fee. But the sad fact is if those people are willing to steal music initially rather than pay, they're likely not going to pay for the ringtone. Then it's only the honest people who pay for full songs and ringtones that must pay the price.

Everything else you said was spot on and brilliant; bad mood or not. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
It's not the price that is the issue, it's the principle of paying twice for the same product: a song. If it was a penny, I would feel the same way. How about BMW makes a car you can drive to work, but you have to pay for it again if you want to drive it to the market? Is that fair?
I agree with the principle you state. But that doesn't mean I'm going to call people stupid for buying the same song twice, because it's a matter of convenience and very little money. Where's the motivation? I can think of far more pressing issues that cost me much more money to stand up to than ringtones. As it is, I think ringtones of music are stupid and annoying anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As it is, I think ringtones of music are stupid and annoying anyway.

I agree entirely. The whole point of the ringing sound of a phone is that it's going to be turned off as soon as possible by the owner answering it. Any attempt to change the purpose of them smacks of both stupidity on the part of the person paying for them and cynical manipulation of customers by the companies providing them.

Ringtones are at best an annoyance, and a very effective cash-generator. Ironically I hear them the most when the phone is lying on someone's desk at work after they forget about it, which kind of defeats the purpose of the device altogether.

For the record, my phone makes a sound like a ringing telephone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I absolutely HATE when people leave their cell hones on their desk and walk away. After all, the point of having a cell is the ability to take it with you. My desk phone sits on my desk, my cell phone shouldn't.

That being said, I love custom ring tones and have lots of them. Fortunately with me using a Palm device smart-phone I can make my own ring tones from music I already have in my iTunes library (although not iTMS purchased music) and it costs me nothing to do so.

I personally like custom tones as it often tells you who is calling simply by the tone that plays. This can come in very handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I personally like custom tones as it often tells you who is calling simply by the tone that plays. This can come in very handy.

That's a good point and probably the only usefulness of custom ringtones. If I can hear it is a certain person and don't want to answer, I can just silence the phone and not even have to remove it from my pocket. It's a bit lazy, but just another convenience.

There are some tasteful choices in ringtones, like something that's not too loud and obnoxious. A good classical tune is always nice for me. Of course, the best way to not be obnoxious with a phone is to not have the ringer any louder than it needs to be.

Reaction score
That's a good point and probably the only usefulness of custom ringtones. If I can hear it is a certain person and don't want to answer, I can just silence the phone and not even have to remove it from my pocket. It's a bit lazy, but just another convenience.

There are some tasteful choices in ringtones, like something that's not too loud and obnoxious. A good classical tune is always nice for me. Of course, the best way to not be obnoxious with a phone is to not have the ringer any louder than it needs to be.

Yeah. Try telling that to the exhibitionist types, that MP3 ringtones have created!. Rap is THE WORST POSSIBLE GENRE overall, but on a ringtone... ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course, the best way to not be obnoxious with a phone is to not have the ringer any louder than it needs to be.

And therein lies the problem!

Reaction score
All I want is an F1 ringtone. I finally found some F1 media on itunes.....Not available for ringtone.

Reaction score
Record companies fleece everyone, because they're fat and greedy people; why would they make an exception here?.

A tiny percentage goes to the artist, with the rest going to the fat cat morons who pay dodgy and immoral companies £100,000 etc to chase up and prosecute INDIVIDUALS who may or may not, have downloaded the odd warez'd album or two, in some sickening show of faux morality, so that they *APPEAR* to be protecting the artists...

Makes me ill - Apple are the only Corporation I trust, and that is from all good experience with them, over time. Greed will come back to bite these imbeciles on the bum, because that is how life works, in the long LONG run.

This comment is not supportive of copyright theft, but please - don't for ONE SECOND, assume that SONY/BMG/The RIAA etc, are doing what they do for the artists alone - RUBBISH - they're just confused hypocrites, out to make the big (false) moral impression, and treat people who download pirate music, as if they commited a murder (the sentences are worse - work THAT out!!).

They prosecute because THEY are scared that THEIR profits will suffer, not the royalties passed down to the artists; I don't imagine that EVER enters the equation, or their minds. Any methods, be they crooked or otherwise, are feasible when immoral and greedy nasty people become involved. A "legal mafioso" of sorts.

Moral pollution.

Anyhow, I personally think MP3 ringtones are a ghastly, annoying way of getting your attention. Surely if the calls you receive are important, then you will want to be concentrating on answering them, not putting them off, whilst you show off how hip your iTunes library is, to complete strangers on your tube/bus etc.

If I had a mobile (I hate the things) I'd want it to ring like a phone, not sound like I'd accidentally pushed PLAY on my iPod. Exhibitionism at it's most pointless - and you inflict your PERSONAL choice of music, on people who just want some peace and quiet, possibly...

I often hear these awful, tinny MP3 ringtones, and ya KNOW the score; the guy or girl lets his or her phone ring AS LONG AS IS POSSIBLE TO ATTRACT ATTENTION FROM THOSE AROUND THEM. Please - where is all this going?. When did we start caring SO SO much, about ringtones?. Life used to be simple, but now we're all overly spoiled with too many ridiculous and unnecessary "options".

Rant endeth.

Oh and PS: Yes, I am in a bad mood! :D sorry!

You know...that was one of the most STUPID rants I have ever seen and is so typical of uneducated, disrepectful and selfish people that have no idea of copyright laws, protection of businesses to profit from an investment...which is the "system" we live in....DOH!

Reaction score
You know...that was one of the most STUPID rants I have ever seen and is so typical of uneducated, disrepectful and selfish people that have no idea of copyright laws, protection of businesses to profit from an investment...which is the "system" we live in....DOH!

Well hello, Joe Corporate!. Are you deliberately calling me "uneducated" as a personal insult, or just because you know that what I say is true?. So, because I think that it is completely immoral to divert funds away from artists, and into the pockets of fat slimy music industry pimps, when they DEPEND on those same artists to make money, you think you have some kind of right to call me "uneducated"?.

Disrespectful? LOL.. to who, exactly, am I expected to bow and scrape?. Profit is one thing, but to abandon all morality, put single (poor) Mothers through courts, over a few downloaded tracks, is just plain wrong and disgusting and abhorrent abuse of power, and human rights. Dude, you should try and read the news more often - and don't skim over the bits that seem "inconvenient" to your uneducated mind.

You, sir, are the uneducated one here, I am sorry to say, if you assume that you can walk all over people's opinions, with playground insults, which amount to nothing in my eyes; I have no desire to even start to prove anything I say or do, to SUCH an ignorant person. The record industry IS WELL KNOWN for overhanded tactics, and unprecedented levels of bullying through abuse of "power" (that is what they _think_ they have), to keep up the facade that they are "protecting the artists".

I do not advocate piracy, but then again I do not suffer fools gladly. If you didn't like what I had to say, then surely it would be a far more efficient plan, to have ignored my comments?. You have just reinforced my point even more, by your plainly transparent and amusing backlash.

Are you another sheep, or a shepherd?. Just because the system does something, you conveniently ignore the TRUE FACTS, and nod in agreement, to save yourself having to face up to the facts of what really goes on, in greedy corporations. Sure, everyone has the right to a profit margin, but to rape morality for these ends?.

Smell the coffee, and I suggest purchasing "Insults for Beginners". I made my point, and I didn't ASK YOU to agree, ok. Peace be with you. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.