Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

Reaction score
OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, it's supposed to make you aware of the possible issues and how to avoid them. pretty simple stuff too, mostly advisable to do many of the same things on a windows machine during updates too.

Reaction score
USA Macs work in UK

Hi there, Im hoping someone can help. Im going over to America to study for 6 months and was going to buy a mac when i was out there as its cheaper. But would it work when i brought it back to the UK?

Is the electricity, adaptors etc compatible over here? I dont want to get one only to find it wont work in this county!:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Hi there, Im hoping someone can help. Im going over to America to study for 6 months and was going to buy a mac when i was out there as its cheaper. But would it work when i brought it back to the UK?

Is the electricity, adaptors etc compatible over here? I dont want to get one only to find it wont work in this county!:

No, you would need to buy a travel adapter. I am speaking from experience as I tok my macBook with me on my trip to London this past June. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.33 Ghz. 512MB Leopard Airport Bluetooth
This is great I have been wondering how to many of the things you have listed here. Just joined the forum tonight and looks like I might be around for awhile.

Reaction score
good link to transferring files from pc to mac

I just got a mac last week...i posted some question both on this forum and others regarding transferring files from pc to mac...this link worked for me and was very helpful...please post this to the faq so it might help others...thanks for the response from others

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3022.html

ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2.5
Wow thank you all for this info. I am a brand new Mac user. I picked up my G5 last night and I have a grin from ear to ear. This is extremely helpful information. You will be seeing a lot of me...

Reaction score
Got a new iMac last week. It's the business. I've already downloaded a load of widgets and apps for it. I still have to figure out how to use spaces effectively and just what I can do with workflow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD
I just purchased a brand new MacBook (2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD) last month and I have to say it's one of the best moves I have made. I'm glad I found this resource/forum as I sure it will help me me answers many questions!

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a mac, and let me tell you what, it's scary, getting ready to switch. I think you'll see a lot of me in the coming weeks and months. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Black
i am a new mac user, just like to ask if i need to defrag my hard disk? what the best defrag software do you recomend thanks.

Reaction score
Q: Can I use my new MacBook/MacBook Pro while it's closed with an external monitor/keyboard/mouse?
A: Just connect the external hardware (even while the notebook is closed and sleeping), press any key and the notebook should wake from it's sleep.
It's a little more complicated, at least on my macbook. There is more than one way to do it, but the only one I remember is to put the notebook to sleep with the external keyboard attached, but not the external monitor. After it's asleep, attach the monitor. Wait a few seconds, then hit any key on the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 5.1 (2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 running Mac OS X 10.6.3)
Great thread, thanks to everyone for the helpful info. I just got my first Mac on Thursday and I absolutely love it. :)

Reaction score
Just wanted to say to Eric who wrote this thread that Id like to thank him very much for the best switchers thread on the web.

This page has been bookmarked and its like having a Windows to Mac OS translator on my desktop.

No other thread or article that I have come across has made sense of it all as simply as this.

So a big THANK YOU eric for your time and effort. Even thought you wrote this in 2007 it is still helping switchers like myself years later and Id bet money it will continue to do so in years to come.

Thank you Eric!

Reaction score
I might have missed this in the extensive myriad of very useful information in this thread, but on my windows laptop I used to use the keyboard shortcut Windows->U->U to shut it down, it was just a lot quicker than using the mouse. is there a similar combination for a Mac?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.