Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Reaction score
i'm new to this forum.

i have currently windows xp installed on my pc.

Is there any way i can install mac os x also on it.

i want to keep both os

Plz help.

thanx in advance:)

Reaction score
Windows XP Pro English Student Media CD w/SP2 on Imac 24'??

I recently bought a version of windows XP pro from my school and unfortunately the disk does not seem to want to play nice with my mac. I partitioned my mac using boot camp (NTFS Formated), and ran the disk. The problem starts after the preparation to install step, it tells me that there will be a 39 min installation time. I came back after an hour and... there was still no progress, so i ran the installation overnight thinking perhaps it would take longer, but no dice. Has anyone ran into this problem before and/or has a fix for me?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Heavy graphics games/softwares on a mac?? using bootcamp??? any good???

Ever since i heard that mac has added this bootcamp feature.... ive considered shifting into mac from windows.... but i couldnt get any convincingly strong information as yet about how well the windows will perform in a mac... my graphics needs are pretty heavy...i use 3d animation softwares and play games... so i wanna know if something as heavy as the latest pc games like need for speed pro street and things like that will work smoothly in good resolutions...?? i mean will windows running on a mac be able to make full use of all the graphics card and ram capabilities to the full extend as if it were being run on a pc.... also if anyone has tried doin some heavy graphics stuff using bootcamp PLEASE PLEASE share your experience.... and that would be really very helpful.... Thanks in advance...!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Black 2.2GHz with 4GB RAM and 160GB HD
Hi I am new to the world of mac, I have window vista installed on my MB through bootcamp; so now I want to install parallel so to have window running on parallel, do I need to install window again or it will run window without the need to installing it again because its installed through bootcamp?

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully used an OEM copy of Windows (XP Pro) with Boot Camp? The instructions sometimes mention possible problems, but not always. They seem to suggest that some will work and some won't.

The people who sold me my copy say it should work, that it's straight from MS and not modified for any particular manufacturer's machines like the Compaq OEM mentioned in an earlier post. My disk is an official Microsoft disk, with a lot of holograms on it. The dealer says it's a DSP disk, which means that even though it was made for sale with bundled hardware, it's not labeled by any particular manufacturer. But of course the dealer wants to sell software.

I haven't opened my copy yet, since they won't take returns on opened software. Opening it and trying would be a $139 gamble. Has anyone ever installed Windows in Boot Camp using an OEM disk? What do you think my chances are?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
According to someone else on this forum you do not need to reinstall Windows to run Parallel if you installed through BootCamp, it recognises the installation, BUT when I tried it, I ended up having to reinstall Windows via BootCamp as there was a problem, and the previous install of Windows got corrupted, so backup!!! Luckily I was wearing my brown trousers as I thought the MacOS was messed up as well, but it was fine, well it is running Leopard, so that is relative :)
Hi I am new to the world of mac, I have window vista installed on my MB through bootcamp; so now I want to install parallel so to have window running on parallel, do I need to install window again or it will run window without the need to installing it again because its installed through bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
I'm getting my hands on my new black macbook tomorrow for the first time. I plan on running Boot Camp with Windows Vista (only because its $10 bucks at school).

Do I need to do anything right away as far as partitioning the Hard Drive or anything to be able to use Vista later?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you run BootCamp it asks you about sizes of partitions etc automatically - it is very easy to do. In fact it is best if you do nothing as Bootcamp expects to find one Mac drive without partitions and will tell you to add the partitions back to the main drive, so just run BC when you get your Mac and enjoy.

I'm getting my hands on my new black macbook tomorrow for the first time. I plan on running Boot Camp with Windows Vista (only because its $10 bucks at school).

Do I need to do anything right away as far as partitioning the Hard Drive or anything to be able to use Vista later?

Thanks

Reaction score
does anyone know if Bootcamp is still available somewhere on the net? T_T i lost my copy when i reinstalled my OSX... i'm hoping it's still available *somewhere*...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AFAIK, it is not available on the web as it now comes with Leopard and even if it is you have to mess around with the date on your Mac to trick BC into working - sounds messy.

Reaction score
Hi all,

HELP!!!! LOL

Newbie MacBook owner, here. I am currently only have Windows for Mac on my MacBook, so I can convert email files sent to me in other formats, etc.... This is my first Mac, and I am slowly learning how to get the best out of it.

However, I find a lot of sites that are not Mac friendly, and am having trouble understanding how to get around these road blocks. Even still, some are Mac friendly, but require a download app. and I can never seem to open it after I download it. My default setting is set to "disk utility" yet I can never get the application to open or run. I've tried numerous applications.

I have "flip for mac" which resolved a good deal of my video issues, but for example if I want to play online poker, I download under the Mac link on their home page, but it never opens, not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated. If there is a good program that will open these automactically, please let me know. Being fairly new to Mac, someone suggested I do their "one on one" training, which I intend to do very soon.

In the meantime, I am getting ready to start an online business, and many of the people whom I'll be working with are all PC users, thus, I want to be able to convert information, video, and file share, format, etc.. as easy as possible, for myself and as a courtesy to them.

Thanks, any help appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Art

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB
Hey guys... have had my macbook for about 2 years and I have run both Bootcamp and parallels on my machine (seperate times). Parallels wasn't fast enough even with my 2GB of ram so I started bootcamp, installed yada yada and it worked perfect (few minor bugs but it was a beta). The issue I had was the internal GPU of the macbook is so bad that no good programs or games could run on the system so I am upgrading to a MacBook Pro.

1) Now, is there a way to install windows xp in bootcamp (leopard), and share my itunes library between the partition or copy my library to windows partition. I have not used leopard or the official boot camp so any help would be nice.

2) With the new Time Capsule will time machine backup all the harddrive or just the OS X side?

Thanks to all who can help!

Reaction score
i checked out the Darwine site, but some links are dead, does anyone use this for running windows programs now? it seems, from what i read on their site, that that was a planned feature, but not if it had been implemented yet.

i am new to OSX, but not to the mac, (used one back in '99 and before that, but not since), even own an original rev. b bondi blue imac, but took a job that is mac based, and need to be able to run corel x3.

unfortunately the macs we have here are all G5s and the only thing that seems to run windows software without a reboot on powerpc chipset is darwine.

can anyone help please?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro with Tiger and Parallels with Vista Business. I can not seem to figure out how to use the usb ports correctly. I am trying to use a Radio Shack usb to serial cable and it works fine on the Tiger side but when I try to use it with Vista, Parallels tells me the port is already in use.

Can anyone tell me a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 2GB RAM 250GB HD 20" Cinema Display
i tried running an .exe file in WINE on a ppc g5 but it didn't work. what do i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
i tried running an .exe file in WINE on a ppc g5 but it didn't work. what do i do?
I don't think WINE will work with a PowerPC.

You're stuck with Virtual PC or upgrading.

Reaction score
Hello

I CAN NOT RUN XP 64 bit ON MY MAC g5 pro intel xenon 64 on can some one tell me how please...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz 2GB RAM, Aluminum Imac 2GB RAM 500GB HDD, Dell Insprion 5160, 512mb Ram, Windows XP
K, lets c here: Crossover doesn't work with anything, Parrallels only works on my Imac, Boot Camp is probably the best option. Case closed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.