HELP: Older Macbook Pro 17 is requiring SMC Reset to start after leaving it sleeping!

Reaction score
UPDATE: I got excited after reading that you put 8 gb's of ram in your 2008 MBP 15. I just called OWC and since my early 2008 MBP 17 is Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1 she said 8 gb wouldn't work in it. According to them, others have tried installing 8 gb in my model and the computer wouldn't boot.

So I have a few questions, please...

1) Are you absolutely sure your 2008 Macbook Pro has 8 gb's of ram and not just 6? (I'm asking because way back I was told my Mac could handle 6 max so that's what I stayed with all these years.)

2) Is your 2008 MBP 15 an early or late model?

3) Can you please tell me what the Model Identifier is? (Apple > About This Mac > Overviews > System Reports > Hardware Overviews (2nd one down)

4) Do you remember where you bought the memory?

Thanks

Just to chime in, I have a Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro that I upgraded:

1.) Upgraded to 8 GB of Ram (Crucial)

2.) I removed the Optical Drive, and installed another HD. I'm currently running (2 EA) 480 GB SSD's (Crucial)

Late 2008 MBP.png

Late 2008 MBP2.png

I have had NO problems with the upgrades, and a huge difference on speed. OWC is very good, but I have used Crucial in the past and they have always been solid.
Hope everything works out....

Sticks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just to chime in, I have a Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro that I upgraded:
1.) Upgraded to 8 GB of Ram (Crucial)

UPDATE: I got excited after reading that you put 8 gb's of ram in your 2008 MBP 15. I just called OWC and since my early 2008 MBP 17 is Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1 she said 8 gb wouldn't work in it. According to them, others have tried installing 8 gb in my model and the computer wouldn't boot.

Just thought someone should mention the fact — completely different MBPro models, one a 4,1 the other a 5,1.

Yes I know, picky picky details, … :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
MBP max RAM

I'm writing this post on said late 2008 MacBook Pro and the screen shot below says I have 4GB in each memory slot. You guys don't have to believe it works, but I do. I'm not sure the .png file will display. If you copy it and paste to your desktop you should be able to look at it.

Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 11.55.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
No doubt about the RAM
It's a 5.1 (2008 Late)
Crucial.com

Sticks, it looks like you have the exact same model as mine.

OP
M
Reaction score
UPDATE: I've been meaning to get back here to report the the latest... I've been keeping the power plugged in at all times - even when the Macbook Pro is sleeping. (I used to unplug the power whenever I put the computer to sleep.) Everything seems to work fine on the computer but every 3 to 5 days when I enter my password to wake the computer up from sleeping and then click "Return" the computer just dies. To get it started I have to do an SMC Reset and then in another 3 to 5 days of using it it will die again after entering the password and I'll have to do an SMC Reset again, and on it goes...

Any ideas? Do you still think it's the battery? Should I try using it with the power plugged in all the time but with the battery out?

Thanks

Late 2008 Macbook Pro 17, OSX 10.9.5, 6gb RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in another 3 to 5 days of using it it will die again after entering the password and I'll have to do an SMC Reset again, and on it goes...

Will it not boot properly if you just try a restart or force quit and boot, bypassing any SNC reset??

And what about just cold booting using Safe Boot Mode?? Just press and hold the shift key only when you hear the boot sound.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
Will it not boot properly if you just try a restart or force quit and boot, bypassing any SNC reset??

And what about just cold booting using Safe Boot Mode?? Just press and hold the shift key only when you hear the boot sound.

I should have mentioned it before but it won't boot at all without doing the SMC Reset first.

Thanks for replying back. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried to do multiple SMC resets? Do one, let the machine startup, then go to the Apple Menu > Shutdown. Do another, let the machine startup, then start using it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should have mentioned it before but it won't boot at all without doing the SMC Reset first.

Not to appear rude, but are you sure it's a SMC Reset that you're actually doing?
Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295

and if so, I'd suggest also doing a NVRAM or PRAM Reset as well as doing Bob's double SNC reset suggestion:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT2....com/AmericaHeckYeah/videos/1604494679797155/

The problem sounds almost reminiscent of the old Macs and a dead PRAM battery that prevents the settings from being kept between boots startups, but I gather, you're not even shutting down your MB and the problem is just not waking from sleep.

PS: When did the problem(s) start??

- Patrick
==========

OP
M
Reaction score

Have you tried to do multiple SMC resets? Do one, let the machine startup, then go to the Apple Menu > Shutdown. Do another, let the machine startup, then start using it?

No I haven't tried multiple SMC resets but I'll try it the next time.

Not to appear rude, but are you sure it's a SMC Reset that you're actually doing?
Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295

and if so, I'd suggest also doing a NVRAM or PRAM Reset as well as doing Bob's double SNC reset suggestion:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT2....com/AmericaHeckYeah/videos/1604494679797155/

The problem sounds almost reminiscent of the old Macs and a dead PRAM battery that prevents the settings from being kept between boots startups, but I gather, you're not even shutting down your MB and the problem is just not waking from sleep.

PS: When did the problem(s) start??

- Patrick
==========

The problem started 3 months ago. Yes, it is definitely the SMC reset that I've been doing. I rarely turn off my Macbook Pro. I put it to sleep and wake it by entering my password and clicking Return, and that is when it goes dead. Dead as in no light on in the front and won't turn on with the power button. That is when I do the SMC reset and everything is fine for another 3 to 5 days until I have to do it again.

It looks like NVRAM and PRAM resets are the same thing. I will try those next.

I did read something about a dead PRAM battery and found instructions for replacing it myself: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...+A1229+and+A1261+PRAM+Battery+Replacement/329 Coincidentally, it's in the same place as the left speaker assembly. That's convenient because my left speaker went bad a while ago too and I bought a new one but haven't taken the time to replace it so I could hit two birds with one stone.

Before I start replacing parts I will do the double SMC resets and then a PRAM reset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only mentioned the kaput PRAM battery because of similar problems, but as that article says:
The time and date, as well as other settings, are kept by the PRAM battery when your machine is off.

Being Off isn't normally the same as Sleep mode.

I'd also try changing the existing settings to something almost opposite to what you have and see if that helps.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
LATEST UPDATE: In my last comment I said the next time my sleeping Macbook Pro 17 went dead after (or during) I inputted my password that I would do a double SMC reset followed by a PRAM reset. I did that and I only got about three days out of it before it did the same thing again.

Does anyone have any more ideas? I don't mind having to do this every few days but was wondering about the possibility of some day going to use my computer and it won't start even after doing the SMC reset.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Next time, after you do the SMC reset and then log in to your account, Restart or Shut Down the MBP, before you put it to sleep.

OP
M
Reaction score
Next time, after you do the SMC reset and then log in to your account, Restart or Shut Down the MBP, before you put it to sleep.

Okay, so do SMC reset > log in > restart. Does it matter if after restarting that I don't put it asleep until 8 to 12 hours later?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mind having to do this every few days but was wondering about the possibility of some day going to use my computer and it won't start even after doing the SMC reset.

That's exactly why many of us suggest keeping at least one current working cloned backup and I trust you have one. :Smirk:

I will admit that you do have a strange problem with that Mac. And sorry I can't think of any other solution except deleting your existing Energy Saving prefs (.plist) file and shutting down and then booting. Then reset your settings if needed.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
That's exactly why many of us suggest keeping at least one current working cloned backup and I trust you have one. :Smirk:

I will admit that you do have a strange problem with that Mac. And sorry I can't think of any other solution except deleting your existing Energy Saving prefs (.plist) file and shutting down and then booting. Then reset your settings if needed.

- Patrick
======

Yes, I have a backup! (I learned that the hard way.) :D

I went through everything in Library > Preferences to find the energy savings .plist but I don't recognize it. Can you please tell me the name of the .plist I should be looking for and where it's located? (I googled this and couldn't find the answer.)

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.