Duplicate listings of printer in "printers and scaners

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I know, I read that too. Can you see why I'm so confused. I just installed the printer on my Windows 10 laptop with no problems. And I have no problems scanning from the printer's control panel. So why is my Mac causing all these issues. I keep getting a communication error and to check if a computer is connected. This is crazy. I hope Epson can figure this out. I'll keep you updated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just installed the printer on my Windows 10 laptop with no problems.

Printer manufacturers generally give priority to Windows with regard to drivers and WiFi setup. Even very old printers continue to work with Windows but are easily broken when an update to OS X occurs. It's frustrating but something we learn to live with as Mac users. :(

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Here's an update. After being on the phone for almost 2 hours with Epson tech support, everything is the same. We uninstalled, reinstalled software, etc. and everything is the same. Then I was told to enable UDP/TCP ports for Epson 1865/3289. I have no clue what they mean. I honestly think it may be a Mac issue. I can scan to computer to my Windows 10 laptop with no problem. Scanning to computer works very well with the scanning software on my Mac. So it's not like I can't scan at all, I'll just use the computer. These people had me so confused and I had difficulties understanding them. For now I'm leaving it alone. I just wonder if anyone else using a Mac has these issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm a bit surprised that chscag didn't have an answer as I believe he's a real advocate for Epson printers and hates Canon products, which I find the opposite and I had no problem setting up a new wireless Canon MG 6520 last year.

At least you can scan from your Mac, but what happens when trying from the printer control panel???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked at their "support" article, but don't understand it exactly:

Starting a Scan Using the Product Control Panel

Scan to Computer (JPEG) saves your scan file directly to your computer or as an image capture in OS X.
Scan to Computer (PDF) saves your scan as a PDF file to your computer or as an image capture in OS X.
Scan to Computer (Email) scans your original and attaches it to a message in your e-mail program. You can select the e-mail program you want to use and resize your image, if necessary, from an option screen on your computer.

https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store...63102263&foid=285269&cat=237989&subcat=237998

What do they really mean by "…as an image capture in OS X." …???

Scratching my head on that one…

- Patrick
======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I scan to my Mac-Mini (JPEG) and (PDF) I get error messages saying there isn't a computer comnected or it's busy, etc. When I scan to my Windows laptop, everything works like a charm. I'm just having a problem with the Mac. I haven't tried e-mail. I think I have to set it up somehow.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What do they really mean by "…as an image capture in OS X." …???

Scratching my head on that one…

- Patrick
======
I think that boils down to the idea that scans are saved as graphic images. A scan which contains text would not, for example, be edited as text in a text editor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it's worth and if it's close to the same I just tried scanning from our Canon MG 56230 using its control panel, and all I ended up with was a message to "Set the PC to start scanning" being displayed after pushing the scan button.

Clear as mud!!! which led to the 'net, and bypassing all the long stuff it meant, and excuse the copy/posting, The message "Set the PC to start scanning" on the control panel referred to selecting the PC that the scanner detects via WiFi. You select the PC via the scanner operations panel setup menu...

So back to the "setup" and selected the Mac it saw and then the scan started and I found the scan in my old MBPro running SL 10.6.8 that I had never even bothered to setup to the Canon printer.

The scan was sitting in the Canon "My Image Garden" software that had been installed years ago for our Canon snapshot camera.

So, not directly related I know, but maybe the same kind of setup and thinking is needed for your Epson.

No way in **** would I have figured that out on my own, so thanks, I can scan directly to any of our connected Macs from our Canon AIO control panel now that I had never even tried before.

Now to go back and do the setup to connect to my iMac which is my normal working Mac.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. I thought I'd seen some complex setups from Canon but that is one of the weirdest. Thanks for posting that. Hope it helps someone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. I thought I'd seen some complex setups from Canon but that is one of the weirdest. Thanks for posting that. Hope it helps someone.

Well thanks Slydude, but it just got a lot weirder earlier this evening.

I thought I'd get my iMac configured as the "Set the PC to start scanning" device instead and turned off my MBPro and started to get it set as the "PC" to use.

The only option it would show on the Canon control panel was "USB", and it's only setup and used via wireless and so far I haven't found the answer, and I'm almost brain dead so it shall be left to try and figure out another day.

Quite bizarre I'd say, especially considering this iMac was first and only used to setup the Canon Pixma AIO in the first place!!!

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had similar problems before but don't remember exactly how I fixed it. As it is I am having an issue with my PIXMA MP 990 dropping the connection to my network. .

BTW do you have the Canon Network Utility installed? I seem to remember that fixing a lot of issues for me.

Reaction score
For what it is worth...

I have a 2009 macbook with 10.11.4 and an epson sx series wifi AIO.

The epson software would not install at all, no end of errors.

Used the built in mac printer and scanner in preferences and it found my printer and scanner which is wifi to my router and is used by my PC and android tablet on wifi before my mac came along.

It all works fine.

So you have linked your printer to your router via the control panel on the printer itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had similar problems before but don't remember exactly how I fixed it. As it is I am having an issue with my PIXMA MP 990 dropping the connection to my network. .

BTW do you have the Canon Network Utility installed? I seem to remember that fixing a lot of issues for me.

Well I wanted to say THANKS Slydude and you're da Man!!

With a bit more snooping and searching at Canon's site I finally managed to get the arcane named mnt_-mac-4_6_1-ea21_3-2.dmg file that contained a package that installed a IJ Network Tool folder with the Canon IJ Network Tool.app inside.

It's sure strange to use and understand but took some educated guesses and finally my iMac was available to choose from the PIXMA MG5620 control panel for direct scanned to Mac scanning.

The next problem was to find where and what had been used on the iMac for the resulting scan image. It dumped it into my user Pictures folder as a .pdf, so easy enough to work with.

But my God, what a hassle to get setup and configured properly.

Oh, now My Image Garden that insisted on opening to show the new scan for some strange reason won't quit when I tell it to do so from the menu.

Agggghhhhh!!!!! What's next…???

Oh, it wasn't just My Image Garden.app, it was Quick Menu that was keeping things from quitting… phew… not exactly a Mac like experience…

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If hschaars is still having problems scanning from his Epson XP-830 control panel, I came across this which may be the same sort of solution: (BOLD Mine)

Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v4.2.2.0
16/10/15 20 MB epson17321.dmg Download
Description: This file contains the Epson XP-830 Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v4.2.2.0.

Compatible Systems: Macintosh OS X (v10.11.x), Mac OS X (v10.10.x), Mac OS X (v10.9.x), Mac OS X (v10.8.x), Mac OS X (v10.7.x), Mac OS X (v10.6.x)
Note: To scan using the product's control panel, you must also download and install the Event Manager Utility after installing this file.

Note: To scan using the product's control panel, you must also download and install the Event Manager Utility after installing this file.

…Event Manager Utility v2.51.32
04/06/15 22.6 MB epson17512.dmg Download
Description: This file contains the Event Manager Utility v2.51.32.

This utility allows you to activate the Epson Scan Utility from the control panel of your Epson product.

Note: The EPSON Scan Utility must be installed prior to using the Event Manager Utility.

Installation instructions:
Download the file.
Double-click the downloaded file to create a disk image on your desktop.
Open the disk image.
Double-click the installer icon to begin the installation.

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore...Type=Downloads&detected=yes&platform=OSF_M_X9

Check version for your use before clicking any download button.

Then maybe you can scan from your unit's control panel to your Mac(s) as well.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick,

Glad that info about the network utility helped you.

I used to think that Canon was the only manufacturer with horrible drivers and set up instructions. Judging from some of the responses on the forum it doesn't look like anyone has decent Mac support for printers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.