Server, media centre, where do I start?

Reaction score
My first post and I really don't know much about computer setup, so need help please. Just near completion of our new house and have built a small "IT cupboard", i.e. where internet incoming cable runs to and ethernet cables run from to all our TVs and home office.
We only have 1 computer, a mac i7 and 4 iPads, 2 iPhones and one printer. Someone suggested that a server may be useful. Our main usage for the computer is quite basic, spreadsheets, internet surfing, movie editing using imovie only and website maintenance.
In terms of tv's we have 4 hooked up and carry around a hard disk with movies on it and plug in via usb.

Apologies for the long intro but thought I would share all the info in case it is needed.

My questions are:
1) What does a server do, and why might I want one?
2) What is the difference between a media centre and a server, if any?
3) Have seen posts suggesting a mac mini with server software, is this what I would use? and what else might I need?

The main thing I would like to do is free up space for better performance when video editing and be able to store all the movies somewhere where all the tvs can get access to them.

Thankyou for any help!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
First of all, welcome to the forums.

I suspect a server is overkill for your usage, but here is a good article to start with.

OS X Lion Server Part 01

Probably the simplest solution is to set up an account on your iMac for media, plug your HD full of movies into the iMac and leave it on and logged into that account. You can then choose to share the iTunes Library, and with an Apple TV at each site you want to use the media you are good to go.

This does require investing in Apple TVs (or other media streaming devices) but is relatively inexpensive and straightforward.

FWIW I do have a Mac Mini set up as a server, but I use it to handle networked drives for my Photography and it is probably overkill for me as well. Was just feeling geeky one day and decided I had to have one. ;P

Reaction score
1) What does a server do, and why might I want one?

A server allows it to share your data aka access your data from several devices (like other computers or iphone / ipad).

2) What is the difference between a media centre and a server, if any?

A media centre allows it to access media from several sources (for example internet, iTunes, iPhoto, picture and movie folder), usually with a remote control e.g. from your couch. You can find more infos at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC.

A media centre might use a media server to access media from other devices (for example via DLNA).

3) Have seen posts suggesting a mac mini with server software, is this what I would use? and what else might I need?

It depends on your needs.

If you just want to access you local media (hard disks), then you do not need a (media) server.
If you want to access your media on your TVs and these TVs support SmartTV, then a DLNA media server would be helpful.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Another option: Apple TV (the set-top box).

Pros: you can choose media from all computers in the house, the media stays on the machine it is located on. Very cheap solution.

Cons: Media has to be in iTunes-supported formats, computers to be accessed must be on or wake-able remotely for this to work well.

So if your media is mostly bought from iTunes or already converted to iTunes, this could be the simplest solution (one Apple TV unit for each of the TVs you want to use). If not, you'd want to look at some kind of network-attached storage drive that's media-centric.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.