Mackeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Mackeeper Ads

Thanks for your feedback. We are working with our parent organization, iNet interactive to try to eliminate the MacKeeper ads.

I was fooled into believing MACkeeper was a 'good' product for a MAC, and purchased the product... but not on this forum...

Kudos To the forum admins if they remove those ads from this forum...

Paul Bounds
Houston, TX

Reaction score
I was fooled into believing MACkeeper was a 'good' product for a MAC, and purchased the product... but not on this forum...

Kudos To the forum admins if they remove those ads from this forum...

Paul Bounds
Houston, TX

I too was fooled into purchasing this absolute piece of cr*p lately as well, and strangely enough was from an annoying ad that kept popping up everywhere.

Well after stupidly clicking the link and seeing what it had to offer i was sitting on the fence thinking that it might actually help speed up my mac etc. So when i found a website offering a discount on it and being in the xmas spending habit i thought what the **** and purchased the most expensive option, and well you can guess the rest..

But after finally getting rid of it from my computer im now looking to get my money back, but am getting no reply either from their official website or from the coupon code site (outdated link removed)...(although i doubt they are actually related to the Mackeeper developers).

All in all though, it seems like it was an expensive lesson to learn - But at lease it led me to this forum which looks pretty cool so far :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"13 MacBook Air 2012; OS X Sierra 10.12.4
I'm not gonna claim to know what say internet communities have over the advertisers they host but in my experience one piece of information I've acquired is that in a lot of cases advertising is the reason a community is free for it's members to use (or possibly for it's admin to create and maintain) because they are the source of income.
MacForums doesn't seem the type that this applies to, but again, not gonna make assumptions.

While I'm newer at MacForums so haven't really noticed the Ads here I've been thrown a MacKeeper pop-up Ad countless times while going about my internet activities and that's what tipped me off not to trust it. Never trust pop-up Ads.
It also doesn't hurt that I am just a cautious person and only use security software approved by my stepfather who is an IT expert.

Considering how deceptively Ads are both placed and designed, for example in my case I tend to encounter the MacKeeper pop-up while browsing questionable web pages such as sources of media streaming that are considered illegal though also in some cases Tinypic which could be a play at the exposed concern factor, it's concieveable to me how folks could fall into their trap.
I feel for those folks, such as Martin Hammond here, there have been ads, usually those ******* ones which tell you that your computer is infected which have briefly fooled me as well.

Martin, I'm betting that you're not being ignored by MacKeeper's "Support" team by accident, that the whole thing is a scam and I am sorry for your financial loss.
Perhaps this thread may help you:
http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-rumors-and-reports/325262-mackeeper-refunds.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can someone help me, I downloaded MacKeeper, at least that's what I think it is, and now my minecraft and other games don't run. Please help if you know how to fix this issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a virus although some folks would tell you that it's worse than a virus! Follow these instructions to completely uninstall Mackeeper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
In general, I make it a practice of not installing ANY administrative third-party software on my MAC. This goes for Mackeeper, Onyx, CleanMyMac, etc.

I spent many years as a Windows user from the 3.1 days in the early 80's and now use Win10 on my MP using Parallels. I never saw any 3rd party software that was worth a thimble of spit when it came to protecting, cleaning, etc, with two exceptions: a good antivirus program such as Norton; a good defragger such as Diskeeper. I many times found myself helping Windows people dig themselves out from under this utility or that, many times one on top of the other until their machines virtually stopped and had to be restored from scratch.

Mac OS was continually developed to avoid the need for both of these. It defrags itself and certain people say it won't allow any virus, TROJAN or other malware on board. (Even so, I do still use the latest version of Norton on all three of our Macs now running OS X 10.11.3 and also inside Parallels/Win10.)

So my advice, for what it is worth, if a system utility didn't come from Apple, don't install it and keep your disk utilization below 80% or so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We're going to close this thread. Any other suggestions or comments about Mackeeper can be posted in our Security forum or even OS X apps (if you think Mackeeper is an app) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.