Ram card slot not working!

Reaction score
I've recently been having loads of problems with my 13" macbook pro. However I am at the brink of fixing it. This is the last problem I am having before it is fixed:

I bought a new pair of RAM cards the other day and they arrived today. They are both 2gb so my mac will be 4gb ram.

I put my cards in today and when I went onto system profiler, it said that BANK 0/DIMM0 is empty. So naturally I thought that I had put the cards in wrong, so I took them out and put them in again. When I turned it on and went back onto System Profiler it still said bank 0 was empty.
I thought one of the cards may have been faulty so I swaped them around to see if this would make Bank 1 empty. However, it still said that Bank 0 was empty, so it is not that cards but the slot.

I am putting them in correctly so I think it might be an issue with the slot.

Does anyone know what to do! :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I've recently been having loads of problems with my 13" macbook pro. However I am at the brink of fixing it. This is the last problem I am having before it is fixed:

I bought a new pair of RAM cards the other day and they arrived today. They are both 2gb so my mac will be 4gb ram.

I put my cards in today and when I went onto system profiler, it said that BANK 0/DIMM0 is empty. So naturally I thought that I had put the cards in wrong, so I took them out and put them in again. When I turned it on and went back onto System Profiler it still said bank 0 was empty.
I thought one of the cards may have been faulty so I swaped them around to see if this would make Bank 1 empty. However, it still said that Bank 0 was empty, so it is not that cards but the slot.

I am putting them in correctly so I think it might be an issue with the slot.

Does anyone know what to do! :/

my guess is try this using the old 1gb ones and put them back, see how this process reacts. If it is good try the new ones again, chances are one of the card might not have set to correct alignment.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
R
Reaction score
Well let us know how you fixed it. Curious.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

As embarrassing as it is to say, I didn't slot the top one in fully. It kept clicking but wasn't pushed in as far as it should've been haha

*face palms*

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As embarrassing as it is to say, I didn't slot the top one in fully. It kept clicking but wasn't pushed in as far as it should've been haha

*face palms*

Hey...that can happen to any of us...so don't feel embarrassed!:) I'm sure you're totally thrilled to have fixed it...and fixed it on your own!!!:)

Now if you were trying to force it in "backwards"...that's a different story!!!;)

Thanks for posting your solution,

- Nick

Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you!

I had the same thing happening and everything I read said that meant I had a bad logic board. I read this thread, took it apart one more time. Took the memory out and in again (a bit more of an angle this time) and I went from 4GB to 8GB. :D

Thank you very much for returning to post the solution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We've been telling folks all along that adding memory is an easy do it yourself task. And, in fact it is. However, with the new model MacBook Pros and iMacs you have to have strong thumbs. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

*face palms*

You'd be surprised, or probably not, how often this happens with techs in the field :) Good catch!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.