Who switches off their Mac overnight?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My iMac starts up in around 10 seconds. Is that not fast enough? :D hehe

So yeah ... I shut it down :)

A little exaggeration there maybe? I have not seen a report of any Mac booting from the pressing of the power button to functioning desktop in under 26-28 seconds with a SATA drive (maybe 24 to login screen) and no reports that I've seen under 16-18 seconds with a SSD.

I'd sure be curious to know how you get your machine to boot in 10 seconds. Although, I'm in that group that never shuts down they're computer except as required. Well, I do shut down my office machine on Friday's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods
I shut mine off every night. I set it to wake every morning so podcasts are ready to go.
After I had an iMac overheat on me, I am leery about leaving them on. And I go out of my way to keep the dust out.

Reaction score
When I shut mine off it gives me a hard time finding my network but it does allow me to shut off my wireless mouse and keyboard which you cant do in the sleep mode.What generation of imac overheated on you?My new 21.5 imac does get warm but nothing drastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
After I had an iMac overheat on me, I am leery about leaving them on. And I go out of my way to keep the dust out.
If your Mac overheated, it was defective. That happens, but has nothing to do with whether you leave it on or not.

The fans shut off when it's asleep (no heat being generated, after all) so it won't draw in any more dust than usual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I only shutdown on Friday ...for the weekend, otherwise I put all the Macs to sleep for overnight...That way they can DREAM...

HAHA! That's awesome! So kind of you to do so ;)

They probably have Steve Jobs or the like in their thoughts....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.