Benchmark Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harryc

G4 Benchmark Fun

I've just run a benchmark called xbench. on my G4 Powermac Digital Audio/Tiger. It scored a 122.09. For anyone who has not run it, there is an online database that you can submit scores to, so that you can compare it to other Macs. My DA has a 1Ghz Sonnet CPU upgrade, 1GB of RAM, 120GB Seagate HD, and the stock GF2 MX video card. I'd be very interested in seeing other G4 benchmark scores, particularly older G4's that have been upgraded. If you decide to run this benchmark, please post your machine model, RAM, CPU speed, and video card. If you have added any upgrades, please post them too. If you want to compare your score directly to mine, it's called "Harryc ’s Power Mac G4" on the
xbench comparison website. BTW, The top score on a DA is 199 - Powerlogix Dual 1.4 / Radeon 9800 Stock/MHz Dual-Monitor-Konfi, SATA Maxtor 120GB. Since this G4 is old school so to speak, it also might be interesting to see some newer G4 or G5 scores to see how much new equipment is blowing away old school ;). Before you go there, I realize this is a synthetic benchmark, and as such may not adequately represent real world performance...bla..bla. Spare me, this is for fun.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Harryc said:
I've just run a benchmark called xbench. on my G4 Powermac Digital Audio/Tiger. It scored a 122.09. For anyone who has not run it, there is an online database that you can submit scores to, so that you can compare it to other Macs. My DA has a 1Ghz Sonnet CPU upgrade, 1GB of RAM, 120GB Seagate HD, and the stock GF2 MX video card. I'd be very interested in seeing other G4 benchmark scores, particularly older G4's that have been upgraded. If you decide to run this benchmark, please post your machine model, RAM, CPU speed, and video card. If you have added any upgrades, please post them too. If you want to compare your score directly to mine, it's called "Harryc ’s Power Mac G4" on the
xbench comparison website. BTW, The top score on a DA is 199 - Powerlogix Dual 1.4 / Radeon 9800 Stock/MHz Dual-Monitor-Konfi, SATA Maxtor 120GB. Since this G4 is old school so to speak, it also might be interesting to see some newer G4 or G5 scores to see how much new equipment is blowing away old school ;). Before you go there, I realize this is a synthetic benchmark, and as such may not adequately represent real world performance...bla..bla. Spare me, this is for fun.

224.6 for my dual G5, I don't have it set up for RAID and only have the 9600 ATI Gfx card so I could probably get that figure way higher.

Amen-Moses

OP
H

Harryc

Amen-Moses said:
224.6 for my dual G5, I don't have it set up for RAID and only have the 9600 ATI Gfx card so I could probably get that figure way higher.

Amen-Moses
Nice score. I bet you'd do great with Raid. That was one of the upgrades I was thinking of since I have 2x 36GB Raptors in another machine not doing much at the moment. There is an adapter I've been eyeing that would be a cheap upgrade. - http://store.yahoo.com/firmtek/seseatahoadf.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I have benchmarks for three machines:

G4 sawtooth
1.4 GHz gigadesign processor
radeon 9000 (64 mb)
1GB ram
80 gig HD
XBENCH SCORE = 136.25
I have since overclocked this processor to 1.5 GHz, but I haven't run XB on it yet.

powerbook G3 pismo
550 MHz G4 Proc. upgrade
Rage mobility (8mb)
512 MB ram
15 gig HD
XBENCH SCORE = 56.50

G3 B&W
450 MHz G4 processor
Radeon 7000 (64 mb)
448 MB ram
40 gig HD
XBENCH SCORE = 61.13

I also once managed to run X bench on an old power tower pro and the score was in the teens LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
G4 1.67 Ghz 17" Powerbook w/ 1GB Ram: 138.65

When I interpret the results, it looks like it's mostly the "slow" laptop hard drive that brings the score down.

OP
H

Harryc

rs2sensen said:
G4 1.67 Ghz 17" Powerbook w/ 1GB Ram: 138.65

When I interpret the results, it looks like it's mostly the "slow" laptop hard drive that brings the score down.
That could very well be. If you have Firewire, an external Firewire Drive might yield better performance. This is hypothetical guessing on my part :), so definately take it with a grain of salt. Interestingly, the benchmark result on my G4 is almost identical between booting off of the Firewire Drive vs. internal IDE...but the internal IDE and drive is most likely faster than a stock Powerbook IDE/drive.

OP
S

spong

114.69 on a G5 single 1.8 with 1.25gb RAM.

Gettin my butt kicked by the G4's!

OP
F

Fallooza

had some apps on when i did it the first time. now 173. go you guys think this is good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
233.26 while online via dialup & running Mac Forums through Safari. My machine is a Dual 2.3 G5 w/ 2.5 GB RAM and a Radeon X800 XT (see specs at left.)

OP
H

Harryc

sevenhelmet said:
233.26 while online via dialup & running Mac Forums through Safari. My machine is a Dual 2.3 G5 w/ 2.5 GB RAM and a Radeon X800 XT (see specs at left.)
That's one serious machine there sevenhelmet. That video card is also helping the score for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much! Quick reply, too. Yup- this is a VERY DIFFICULT computer to walk away from. Thanks for posting this thread- it's teaching me things about my computer.

By the way, that's 242.73 without dialup & Safari

I broke 700 on the memory testing and interestingly enough the gfx card was best at text and hovered around 250 for the polygon and open GL tests.

Anybody got a 2.7 with an aftermarket card? I'm interested to see how those stack up... :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz, Dual 19" MAG screens, Nvidia 6800 Ultra, 5.0GB Ram, 250GB HD
Hi everyone,
This is my first post and I am newbie to Mac, just recieve my powermac G5 a week ago and I love it. I've been a PC user for years.

Here's a reply for Sevenhelmet request:

I just ran xbench on my system. It was ordered from Apple with a Dual 2.7, with 1GB Ram but I update it to another 4GB of aftermarket Ram, it has the nvidia 6800 ultra. My score was 264.28. Here is a link for the full results

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=118977&setCookie=true

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
jeditim said:
My score was 264.28.

Wow. Just wow.... That smokes my meager 6 year old equipment... even if I combine the scores of all three of my macs. As if the cool factor alone wasn't enough to make me want to upgrade to a G5.

OP
H

Harryc

jhelm007 said:
As if the cool factor alone wasn't enough to make me want to upgrade to a G5.
I think there's several thousand of us right behind you in that line. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jedi Tim:

Very impressive. I figured a 2.7 would beat my 2.3, but I didn't know by how much. Your system also has twice as much RAM as mine. So you beat me tests involving system memory and bus speeds. Your graphics card fared about the same as mine, although it was a little better with text (approximately 600 versus 500 for mine.)Your score was about what I figured for a dual 2.7 with a top-end graphics card, and that's good considering how new I am to the Mac community. I don't think either of us are complaining about performance!!!!!!

So aside from trumping my mac on this forum, what do you need all that horsepower for?

-Seven Helmet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Amen-Moses said:

Amen-Moses

I had in the 220s with my powerbook that I just got, that is a little low, I don't have my actual numbers since my ram went bad and wont' do it again until i get new.

OP
S

spong

Interesting.

Just ran it again, managed to get it down to 82.84 this time. I wondered if it was becuase I am running dual displays, so set them to mirror which made no difference (got 84).

So I restarted, and ran it straight away, and got 123.90 (mirrored) and 124.55 extended desktop.

I wonder what was running in the background to make that differnce? I had closed all the apps before I ran it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz, Dual 19" MAG screens, Nvidia 6800 Ultra, 5.0GB Ram, 250GB HD
sevenhelmet said:
Jedi Tim:

So aside from trumping my mac on this forum, what do you need all that horsepower for?

-Seven Helmet

I have been doing alot of work with Photoshop and going to start doing some video editing, It was time to upgrade to a new computer. I've been hanging out on this forum plus others for several months checking out Apples software and hardware. I wasn't sure if this was a good number but I do know one thing, this puppy flies. I don't know if there are any tweaks you can do the powermac to up the performance.

I found out that my company gets a discount from Apple. I had the extra money for the 2.7 so why not go for the gusto and get it over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.