• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Not too happy with my VW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
My wife and I were going to see her parents who live about 3 hours away. We were about 30 minutes away from their house when the car (2006 VW Passat 2.0L Turbo) suddenly got very loud. We were able to make it back home and I put the car up on jack stand and took a look underneath. It seems the pipe coming out the back of the turbo came loose from the manifold. I took it to 2 muffler shops and they both said it couldn't be re-welded. VW said it would be $1,100.00 to fix if it couldn't be covered under the 80,00 mile catalytic converter warranty. I thought about buying an aftermarket turbo-back exhaust kit but I could only find one and it was more that what VW charges. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Out the turbo like the downpipe from the exhaust side? I don't see why it couldn't be rewelded... any pics?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Out the turbo like the downpipe from the exhaust side? I don't see why it couldn't be rewelded... any pics?

Either could i unless it was some sort of Cast Iron

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
It won't let me upload the pics directly to mac forums for some reason. Here is a link to my MobileMe pics.

MobileMe Gallery

Reaction score
Hrm.. seems odd to have come apart there, and IDK why it couldn't be rewelded, probably the material, but worst case buy a new downpipe and instal yourself.

Check out vwvortex.com for more info, tons of people over there.

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I wasn't sure why it couldn't be rewelded myself. I have MIG welder and I am pretty good with it. I would be willing to attempt the repair myself but I don't have a 220 plug installed at my new house yet. I know I'm not good enough to fix it without any leaks but at least it wouldn't sound like a logging truck anymore. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
I don't see a problem running like you are, except for harming the environment a bit, but I don't even have a cat on my car, lulz

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the HP dropped off a lot and the fuel mileage dropped some as well. Probably because the O2 sensors aren't getting any data. I'm guessing it's throwing the air fuel mixture off but I could be wrong. It's producing a lot of black smoke now when accelerating. The environment is a concern also but the biggest thing is I don't like looking like an idiot driving a car that sounds like it should be hauling logs through the mountains. I mean it sounds really bad. Not to mention the smell since the exhaust isn't going through a catalytic converter.

Reaction score
Yea get that fixed ASAP lol

Are you throwing a CEL from the O2 sensors?

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It didn't throw one right away but it did after I got home. I didn't ave anyone read the code but I'm sure VW will let me know what it says when they look at it Monday. I dropped it off yesterday but they cant get it on the rack until Monday. I showed them the pics and described what happened and that is how they determined the price. There is still a small possibility it will be covered under the catalytic converter warranty but I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
if it's cast you'll have difficulties welding it with normal wire in a mig. The method and materials will vary based on the material. If it's cast aluminum.. forget it. You'll never get it clean enough for a sound weld.

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's just what I was looking for thanks for the link! I will have to get the street series instead of the race series though. I want to keep it street legal in case it ever needs to be emissions tested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
they probably dont want tto weld it so it doesnt get stuck if you need to put new exhaust or aftermarket.

get the race series it will still pass any test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The race series still passes the test because it still allows you to use the catalytic converter, but it happens to come with a test pipe for when you want the CC out on race day for when you don't want your cc to limit your power. With the resonator, the sound gets cut A LOT when compared to the example video on the website. It was high quality material with solid welds. I'm going to be putting that on 2008 passat soon. And also, the down pipe seemed to be held on to the attachment plate just by widening the tip of the exhaust from the inside while it was held inside the attachment plate. Then all was needed was to bolt it on tightly. Lots of companies do this, the only bad thing is that a lot of enging "play"(engine movement), it will eventually loosen the tight fitting.

they probably dont want tto weld it so it doesnt get stuck if you need to put new exhaust or aftermarket.

Not true, because the attachment plate comes off with all exhaust. This down pipe got loose from the attachment plate(the plate that has the bolts on. If you look, you will see 2 plates...).

Good luck! Treat this as an upgrade, not a problem that needs fixing...LOL :)

I forgot, street series is nice too, but it's not worth the extra money when you can have a nicer sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
You may have some luck TIG welding that but it will take getting the flange off the Turbo and remove that section of pipe. If you REAL good you may have some luck MIG welding but your going to have to use Argon, I don't think flux core is going to cut it. Good luck! Hey, you could use "JB weld" like they do in South!!!!!:Cool:

Rick

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JB weld would burn off. I had already thought of that, since I am in the south, but it says specifically on the package not to use on exhaust. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
JB weld would burn off. I had already thought of that, since I am in the south, but it says specifically on the package not to use on exhaust. :(

I was just joking:D I think anybody thats heard of JB weld knows you can't use it on anything hotter than a radiator

Rick

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was just joking:D I think anybody thats heard of JB weld knows you can't use it on anything hotter than a radiator

I know, I was joking back, although the fact that they say on the package specifically not to use it on exhaust means that someone tried it. And there are a lot of people in the south that will use JB weld to try and fix almost anything. I've never actually needed to use it myself though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What you need is some Mighty Putty! Just ask Billy Mays ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.